Valve train noise for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 Ford Focus 203,000 miles

For the first time since 2006 my Focus has valve train noise for about 1 minute after I start her up in the morning. I guess the spaces in the cam buckets has opened up a little.

She is running synthetic QS 5w-20. If you thought you could close the space in the cam buckets with a different oil, which oil would you try?

Yes, try a 5w30. You've done your duty to save the planet. Let us know if it helped. I keep hearing from Pennzoil Platinum fans on its ability to quiet an engine. But honestly don't expect much with 203,000 miles on the clock. I think you've already won the game.

I use 0-20 in my 2007 Fusion (same engine design as your Focus). Now your problem is more likely the valves in the intake manifold. These engines perform very well and have a long life on 20 wt oils. Don't believe the 30 wt foolishness. Here's a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRXRMHl34Ho

Last edited:
Yeah ... if you do try a 5w30 - no point in an expensive one just for a test run ...
another option would be a thicker 5w20 like a High Mileage formula ...
the more expensive route is Redline 5w20

I removed the swirl plates and shaft about 5 years ago. That made a huge difference. They were pretty noisy when the car was idling.

Valvetrain noise? Sudden onset? For 1 minute?
Hmm... they're solid bucket lifters so that's a little odd.
Could it be anything else making noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back