2018 focus sel

Status
Not open for further replies.
2018 focus SEL

well, got a great deal on it, if I took it.
msrp 22215
out the door, with tax, 4 year registration, doc fee of 399, finance at 2.99 percent, 14998.00

huge savings. i got them to even take off the 1215 or so in finance charges from the car price. 67% of the MSRP price AFTER taxes and fees.

well, on the test drive I sense something is wrong. car seems to not want to go at all. car has 14 miles, its new. On the 3 mile test drive, it eventually overheated the clutch after not moving norrmally, reving to redline, then taking forever to downshift, then screaming again to redline. transmission overheated warnings came on.

this is all after the car was brought to me after 2 hour wait with a dirty dash, hood ajar light on, and check engine light on. Made them scan the codes at service before drive, check engine was due to low battery, and a harness was unplugged for the hood. Then the over heat.

I think its a killer deal in terms of money off, but I think I am done. Supposedly it was a computer malfunction, and the car is fixed with only a reprogram. I read up on the trans, its a dual dry clutch system, basically like a manual stick shift. It roasted the clutch for 20 or so miles it seems. The transmission is known for issues.

I'm done, agree? But I can't find a comparing deal for a new car for my daughter

thanks

The Ford Dual Clutch Transmission is a piece of junk. DO NOT buy any Ford that has one. For something in that class, I recommend a Hyundai Elantra or KIA Forte with a 2.0L engine.

The DCT is troublesome. But you bought it DIRT CHEAP and it still has it's full bumper to bumper and powertrain warranty. If it breaks they'll fix it. If anything argue for an extended warranty on the car or drivetrain, at least on the dual clutch element.

It's a weird clutch, but it's not that bad. Actually, it's kind of delightful when it's working right. In all honesty, they work better the harder you drive it. Floor it daily, it'll shift fine. The softer you drive it the worse it will be.

Last edited:
Seeing as you own it now, like said above, I'd angle for a longer power train warranty on it and drive on.

If you can get the Focus in a standard tranny, this could last a lifetime. According to CR, the DCT is really the only BIG issue with the Focus. Otherwise, they're quite reliable according to them(CR).

Originally Posted by JTK
Seeing as you own it now, like said above, I'd angle for a longer power train warranty on it and drive on.

It doesn't sound to me like he bought it.

I cant tell if you bought it or now however great price, bad transmission history and there is no way I would want that car now that you had transmission issues so early on.

This is exactly why I got the 3 cylinder 2018 Focus, because there is no way I would get that transmission. In the 3 cylinder, it gets the same tranny as the Chevy Cruze. These cars are otherwise supposed to be pretty reliable (fingers crossed). So far 10k on mine in 3 months and no issues. I got an SE Ecoboost with the cold weather package and appearance package, basically all the options I could get. Enjoying the heated cloth seats and heated steering wheel in this cool weather for sure. Also standard was automatic climate control and 4 wheel disc brakes.

This is interesting . We were used car shopping June 2017 . Looked at the Ford Focus & Fusion . Found out about the dual clutch transmission problem in the Focus ( that was the end of that idea ) . The Fusion does not use this transmission .

Ended up buying a 2006 Buick Lacrosse with 37,000 miles , verified with CarFax . Much nicer car for a lot less money . We really like it .

I would skip this deal and look at the Fusion. The DCT is troublesome as is, but when the clutches were fried during a test drive and the only fix was computer programming, one doesn't need a crystal ball to know this tranny will be nothing but trouble.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by JTK

It doesn't sound to me like he bought it.

No, I did not buy it. I have been looking at Elantras, but can not get the pricing close.

I said give me an extended 150K warranty, they said no. So I am done with that car. This car is for my daughter, need to buy it and forget about it. Doesnt seem Ford will equate to that.

Originally Posted by 71Chevyguy
This is exactly why I got the 3 cylinder 2018 Focus, because there is no way I would get that transmission. In the 3 cylinder, it gets the same tranny as the Chevy Cruze. These cars are otherwise supposed to be pretty reliable (fingers crossed). So far 10k on mine in 3 months and no issues. I got an SE Ecoboost with the cold weather package and appearance package, basically all the options I could get. Enjoying the heated cloth seats and heated steering wheel in this cool weather for sure. Also standard was automatic climate control and 4 wheel disc brakes.

+1

I bought my 2015 Focus 1.0 EcoBoost with the 6-speed manual brand new. 65,000 miles in and the car has been FLAWLESS. Excelent car ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Not sure why so many people just look at the 2.0/DCT combo. The 1.0/6A is a far better option. American Focus production ended this past spring, so I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

Last edited:
With those issues they'll replace the transmission and then only accept it with a Ford backed longest possible extended warranty for the selling price they offered.

Originally Posted by E365
Originally Posted by 71Chevyguy

+1

I bought my 2015 Focus 1.0 EcoBoost with the 6-speed manual brand new. 65,000 miles in and the car has been FLAWLESS. Excelent car ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Not sure why so many people just look at the 2.0/DCT combo. The 1.0/6A is a far better option. American Focus production ended this past spring, so I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

they have an eco boost, an SE. I have never considered a 3 cyl, and I thought most eco boosts had issues. I'm not a Ford guy by any means, learning.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Whatever savings one gets on the initial is lost on the plummet depreciation. Good call on walking away.

I was very happy with the price. Enough off I really was not concerned with depreciating value. But yes, the lose value. Thts why one needs the best deal possible up front when buying new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back