Best method to attach electrical boxes to concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.
My basement is poured concrete wall. Need to attach a couple of electrical boxes to the walls. My Dad use to drill holes but in these metal anchors and set them with a hammer and tool.

But what is the best current method?

Originally Posted by AandPDan
Tapcons. Just drill a hole and screw them into the concrete.

This.

You use to drill a hole, hammer a lead anchor in, then put a screw in, now use Tapcon which is a special type of screw. Drill a hole, screw it in. They come in different diameters and lengths.

Tapcon screws work real well on concrete block, and they work on moderate strength cast. I your cast concrete is very dense or has a lot of larger aggregate close to the surface you may have some difficulty with them, they tend to snap fairly easily. If that is the case, plastic anchors (as previously mentioned) are good.

I've had the best luck with these:

https://www.grkfasteners.com/products/concrete/caliburn-concrete

Available at most home centers. If the concrete is really tough you can drill the hole slightly oversize (like maybe 3/16" instead of 5/32") and slip a bit of steel tie wire (like what is used for rebar) into the hole before inserting the screw. The soft metal wire will deform around the screw, it gets tight.

Don't forget to use rigid conduit-- if it drops from the ceiling you can attach it to the wood up there any which way. And it looks rugged too.
01.gif

I just use a .22 cal ramset with a low load and 1.5" nails. All my electrical boxes and air distribution boxes on poured concrete walls are affixed with these, they are super solid.
No way in Hades am I friggin around drilling holes and with screws, bang, bang, two in each box your done.
For my blasting cabinet vacuum system and air compressor to floor I used Hilti expansion bolts but that's heavy equipment.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Don't forget to use rigid conduit-- if it drops from the ceiling you can attach it to the wood up there any which way. And it looks rugged too.
01.gif

It's called EMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back