bought new car temp plate expiring tommorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a brand new Audi and my temp tag expires tommorrow. Dealer is about 60 miles away. I texted salesman and called manager. Neither has called me back. Not sure what to do. I was thinking of going to showroom and telling every customer who walks in the door what happened I am that mad. Any thoughts.

Big freakin' deal, they made a mistake. If you do bother to drive back - good luck with your alternate plan, see if they don't make you leave after your 1st encounter - you might as well get them to fix the date error.

Just called me said sending me another 30 day temp.....I will keep you posted

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Big freakin' deal, they made a mistake. If you do bother to drive back - good luck with your alternate plan, see if they don't make you leave after your 1st encounter - you might as well get them to fix the date error.

So I should drive with an expired tag?

It needs fixed, I don't dispute that part. For the time being, I'd keep the bill of sale or something in the car or on your person that shows when you bought it vs the expiration date that's on the tag. That's for just in case you do get pulled over.... Even if the officer doesn't cite you, you can go to court and explain what happened to the judge and get it thrown out (with an explanation of what happened including showing that the dealer provided the correct dates on a newly issued plate).

Is it really that big of a deal? Around here people drive with expired tags quite regularly.

There was a post on here recently about New Jersey Police ticketing you if your License Plate was obscured by the Plate Holder (issued by Dealer).
Give the Dealer the opportunity to fix the error.
Keep all documenting paperwork to cover yourself if ticketed.
Not worth getting to upset over.

We don't even allow temp tags in this state. Only real plates. And you can either pay the dealer to do it or just go down to the registry and do it yourself and save the fee and maybe spend an hour or two in line... Or use AAA and be in and out in 10-15 minutes.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Is it really that big of a deal? Around here people drive with expired tags quite regularly.

Back when I was still doing contract work, this would have absolutely been a big deal for me.

Let's say I took on a contract to dispose of someone for a very important, very powerful group of people who are borderline sociopaths, e.g. PETA, and I have fulfilled the termination part of the contract, but because I was running 5w-20 in my car's engine instead of the specified 5w-30, I blew my car's engine from idling too long while trying to load up the bloated carcass of the contract group's target I just terminated...terminated with extreme prejudice, that is.

Okay, mildly inconvenient, but not a deal-breaker. So I go and purchase myself a nice used car with the intention of going back to the crime scene the next day and finishing the dismemberment/loading of the body before driving it out to the old rock quarry to go fishing. Now factor in that I am in the middle of my drive out to the disposal sight when I suddenly realize my temporary tags are out, leaving me open to being stopped at any time.

That might not worry most people, but let me tell you. If you're driving around in a vehicle with expired tags and 8 hefty bags in the back seat which just so happen to smell like decaying human flesh, the absolute last thing you want to have happen is to get stopped by a local LEO! If he's got even one good eye and half a sense of smell, he's going to want to poke his nose into my business and start searching my car, and there is no scenario in which that ends well for me!

So that's why, if it were me that was the victim of an unfortunate mistake on someone else's part, I would be hotter'n a 2 dollar pistol at the folks that put me into that position by making such a bone-headed mistake. I mean, it's my freedom on the line!

But I digest...what were we talking about?

Not making excuses for the dealer but the holidays likely delayed things. OP, I'd be peeved, too. The dealer isn't doing you a favor by providing plates, you paid a doc processing/TTL fee for this. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving with expired temp tags. Sure, you can try explaining things to a cop if you get pulled over, but why let it come to that? I try to limit my interactions with LEO's.

Happens everyday. Not an issue anywhere I know of.
Considering there's was just a thread about getting a $50 ticket in the same state for having a dealer installed license plate frame, thinking an expired tag could well be an issue.

I'd be a little miffed on a new ride too, someone dropped the ball. That said, not worth going off the deep end. Have a cool one, and hopefully they will quickly follow through on sending the 30 day tag.

Did you have the dealer do the financing? If so, do you know for sure that your loan has been fully approved and placed with a company?

Originally Posted by mclasser
Not making excuses for the dealer but the holidays likely delayed things. OP, I'd be peeved, too. The dealer isn't doing you a favor by providing plates, you paid a doc processing/TTL fee for this. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving with expired temp tags. Sure, you can try explaining things to a cop if you get pulled over, but why let it come to that? I try to limit my interactions with LEO's.

I would be annoyed as well, but making a huge scene on the showroom isn't going to fix anything. Going in and being calm about the whole thing will get way more done in a shorter amount of time.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Originally Posted by The Critic

Back when I was still doing contract work, this would have absolutely been a big deal for me.

Let's say I took on a contract to dispose of someone for a very important, very powerful group of people who are borderline sociopaths, e.g. PETA, and I have fulfilled the termination part of the contract, but because I was running 5w-20 in my car's engine instead of the specified 5w-30, I blew my car's engine from idling too long while trying to load up the bloated carcass of the contract group's target I just terminated...terminated with extreme prejudice, that is.

Okay, mildly inconvenient, but not a deal-breaker. So I go and purchase myself a nice used car with the intention of going back to the crime scene the next day and finishing the dismemberment/loading of the body before driving it out to the old rock quarry to go fishing. Now factor in that I am in the middle of my drive out to the disposal sight when I suddenly realize my temporary tags are out, leaving me open to being stopped at any time.

That might not worry most people, but let me tell you. If you're driving around in a vehicle with expired tags and 8 hefty bags in the back seat which just so happen to smell like decaying human flesh, the absolute last thing you want to have happen is to get stopped by a local LEO! If he's got even one good eye and half a sense of smell, he's going to want to poke his nose into my business and start searching my car, and there is no scenario in which that ends well for me!

So that's why, if it were me that was the victim of an unfortunate mistake on someone else's part, I would be hotter'n a 2 dollar pistol at the folks that put me into that position by making such a bone-headed mistake. I mean, it's my freedom on the line!

But I digest...what were we talking about?

We were talking about 6 minute abs, no wait, 7 minute abs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2di69FmhE

When I bought my Camry I waited a while for the real plates to arrive while I drove around on temp tags. Finally, I called the dealer. The tags were there for a few days. No one called me. Call them tomorrow and see what's up. No texting. Heck. Call them right now.

Last edited:
If the dealer submitted the info and fees to the Dept of Licensing in your state then that is where the beef is. The holidays may have slowed the process down.

In CA, you pay registration when you buy the car. So your tags may be outta date but your registration is not.
I doubt the dealer can help, unless they messed up. I guess they can call the DMV.
Heck, in CA the appointments are like 2 months out!

Good luck. Carry your purchase papers with you and the Police Officer should let you go.
They have bigger fish to fry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back