New from NGK, Ruthenium HX

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/ruthenium-hx

too bad, for my application, #92400, which is PSPE® (projected square platinum electrode), the gap is .040", when I need a max gap of .032". I'm not really a big fan of cranking on the ground electrode to adjust the gap.

If it came with the correct gap, I would order these, as the BKR7E-IX (and Denso IK22), I would have to replace them every 20,000 miles.

I am happy Bosch didn't introduce these or they would be accused of more gimmickry, even if this better mouse trap falls flat its NGK so its all okay, they are trying to innovate.

At the risk of be risk of being attacked, I think folks get a bit anal about gaps. I have see plenty of Iridium and Platinum plugs that operate just fine near the end of their service life with gaps that are 50% larger than the factory recommended gap. The recommended gap is the starting point. The manufacturer knows this gap will grow with time. In the case of GM, the service life of an Iridium plug is 100,000 miles. The plug starts out with a gap of 0.044. By the time 100,000 miles go by, that gap will be as much as 0.060. When you change the plugs there will usually be no noticeable change in performance.

The engine will not know the difference between a 0.032 and a 0.040 gap. Theoretically there will be a slight energy difference but in the real world you wouldn't be able to notice.

27.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
At the risk of be risk of being attacked, I think folks get a bit anal about gaps. I have see plenty of Iridium and Platinum plugs that operate just fine near the end of their service life with gaps that are 50% larger than the factory recommended gap. The recommended gap is the starting point. The manufacturer knows this gap will grow with time. In the case of GM, the service life of an Iridium plug is 100,000 miles. The plug starts out with a gap of 0.044. By the time 100,000 miles go by, that gap will be as much as 0.060. When you change the plugs there will usually be no noticeable change in performance.

The engine will not know the difference between a 0.032 and a 0.040 gap. Theoretically there will be a slight energy difference but in the real world you wouldn't be able to notice.

27.gif

I notice a difference in MPG's. It takes a huge dive down, which gets costly, more than the cost of replacing plugs. Manufacturers know about the growth in gap, due to electrode wear, that's why they mostly stopped using nickel alloy plugs with standard ground electrodes and transitioned over to precious metal alloy tipped center electrode and ground electrode, to keep the gap as constant as possible throughout the plug's service life.

Then there is the strain on the ignition coils, which VAG coils produced by Bosch are already fragile as it is.

Some engines may be less sensitive to spark plug gaps.

Also, gap of the plugs affect nitration, according to Terry Dyson.

If there was a Laser Iridium equivalent for the BKR7EIX, I would get them. Denso VK22's are not available in the US, which the Laser Iridium and Denso V-series have a platinum disc on the ground electrode.

I've also noticed a difference in the power delivery switching from the Laser Platinum (stock plugs) to the BKR7EIX plugs.

Last edited:
If it weren't NGK, I might be prone to thinking these are just another gimmick along the lines of the Splitfire or E3 (or whatever that abomination was called)...

It's just another one of the platinum group metals with properties that are slightly different than iridium or platinum itself. It must be somewhat more durable when used as spark plug electrodes as that link says.

Although all the metals in that group are similar each have slightly different properties, and is more or less available due to market conditions. NGK seems to think it is worth the effort to produce a plug with this particular metal.

More durable than iridium according to NGK. Sure beats changing the spark plugs every 10k like back in the old days.

I wonder what the life expectancy is for these?

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

If there was a Laser Iridium equivalent for the BKR7EIX, I would get them. Denso VK22's are not available in the US, which the Laser Iridium and Denso V-series have a platinum disc on the ground electrode.

Denso's Iridium TT are the closest thing to the VK series in the US. The NGK IX series is a "performance" Ir plug that is more performance focused over service life.

HA! ...The electrons being pushed by +60,000 volts of pressure don't give a rats behind about a variance of a few thousandths of an air gap. and the fuel charge will ignite by just about anything hotter than a cigarette. ...getting lower mileage by a tiny gap variance is all in your head.

I remember many years ago Hot Rod did one of the few direct comparisons Ive ever seen and all the different spark plug and wires sets on a 500hp engine fell with .5 hp. The plug fires and the fuel burns its not rocket science.

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
HA! ...The electrons being pushed by +60,000 volts of pressure don't give a rats behind about a variance of a few thousandths of an air gap. and the fuel charge will ignite by just about anything hotter than a cigarette. ...getting lower mileage by a tiny gap variance is all in your head.

Some cars, like the forementioned VWs and Saabs are sensitive to even the smallest variance with plugs. It's not like the olden days with the first electronic ignitions(Mopar, Ford Duraspark and GM's HEI systems) although those will happily fire all day with good plugs.

AFAIK, I know Accel was the first to market Denso's U-groove NiCu plugs to hot rodders with some success.

the reason for todays plugs using precious metals is ONE, LONGEVITY!!!! they are a part of the long emissions warranty!!! they conduct electricity POORLY, but for hard to change applications they can be good especially when your paying the labor, otherwise standard plugs @ about $2 each changed @ 10 thou or less as i do are just as good IMO!!

I purchased the Autolite Iridium plugs I installed in my Hemi Ram for $2 each after sale + rebate at Autozone 20K miles / 3 years ago.

Originally Posted by nthach

Denso's Iridium TT are the closest thing to the VK series in the US. The NGK IX series is a "performance" Ir plug that is more performance focused over service life.

Which is not available in the IK22-TT heat range I need. The Denso regular IK-series is their performance plug, which has the tapered U-groove ground electrode.

But interesting to note, according to NGK, the twin tip design is not appropriate for Forced Induction engines, hence the Ruthenium HX has 2 types of ground electrode configurations.

Originally Posted by benjy

the reason for todays plugs using precious metals is ONE, LONGEVITY!!!! they are a part of the long emissions warranty!!! they conduct electricity POORLY, but for hard to change applications they can be good especially when your paying the labor, otherwise standard plugs @ about $2 each changed @ 10 thou or less as i do are just as good IMO!!

Using the precious metal as the tip minimizes the conductivity issue, as the core is still nickel alloy (unlike the old days of Bosch Platinums, bragging about having the core of platinum also), but with the durability allows them to reduce the diameter of the tip, which in turn improves the combustion. Denso iridiums are .4mm diameter, NGK iridiums are around .6 to .7mm (Can't remember), Platinum tips are about 1.1mm and full nickel alloy are around 2.5mm. The Longevity isn't there unless the ground electrode has the precious metal also, since without it, it would wear like a regular nickel alloy plug's ground strap.

But interesting to note, according to NGK, the twin tip design is not appropriate for Forced Induction engines, hence the Ruthenium HX has 2 types of ground electrode configurations.

Using the precious metal as the tip minimizes the conductivity issue, as the core is still nickel alloy (unlike the old days of Bosch Platinums, bragging about having the core of platinum also), but with the durability allows them to reduce the diameter of the tip, which in turn improves the combustion. Denso iridiums are .4mm diameter, NGK iridiums are around .6 to .7mm (Can't remember), Platinum tips are about 1.1mm and full nickel alloy are around 2.5mm. The Longevity isn't there unless the ground electrode has the precious metal also, since without it, it would wear like a regular nickel alloy plug's ground strap.

And yet, the Lexus NX200T and the 1.5T Honda four used in the Civic/Accord/CR-V still use a NGK or Denso "conventional" long-life design with an Ir center electrode and Pt ground disc on the ground strap. Maybe NGK debuted the new plugs with the second-gen Mazda SkyActiv-G in the new 3/6 or Toyota's V35A-FTS twin turbo V6 for the Lexus LS500?

I know Denso makes a Platinum TT to compete against NGK's G-Power and Autolite/Champion/Bosch, it uses an titanium-alloy "tip" on the ground electrode. It seems to work OK on a friend's DSM.

And if Pt/Ir plugs were so bad, GM wouldn't have stuck with them as factory on the LSx/LTx engine families either. I'm sure an NGK or Denso-made Delco handles duty on an ZL1/ZR1 'Vette just fine.

Last edited:
Plugs that fire do the job.
Precious metals just extend the life.
I ran a set of Bosch Platinums in the Sentra for 100K miles.
Changed them to Champion Double Platinums and the car runs just like when it had the 100K miles old plugs.
A spark is a spark is a spark.
Of course it's just an old Sentra.

Originally Posted by marine65
Plugs that fire do the job.
Precious metals just extend the life.
I ran a set of Bosch Platinums in the Sentra for 100K miles.
Changed them to Champion Double Platinums and the car runs just like when it had the 100K miles old plugs.
A spark is a spark is a spark.
Of course it's just an old Sentra.

I wish more people had this mentality. I was told I'd "burn holes" in my pistons, cause other engine damage, and destroy my coil packs if I put anything but copper plugs into a 5.7 HEMI or a 2.0 in a caliber.

Guess this is a fine time to tell everyone that I intentionally faux pas my plugs by cranking them open until the point that they'll misfire at max torque. Got 6 re-used nickel plugs in the GM 3500 right now... old, cleaned, re-filed, re-big-gapped from the Ford. Probably running 85 thou lol They run excellent!

A spark is a spark, sure but a kernel is not just a kernel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back