Amsoil 0W-30, 14,198 MILES, 1993 Civic

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
I thought Honda's usually push combustion into the coolant when the HG goes.

edit: just read the other thread. disregard my comment. Maybe you have a slightly porous head casting and a bit of coolant seeps though somewhere.

I hope you're right about the porous head Gasbuggy. Anyway, I just added a Bars anti-leak tablet to maybe slow the flow.

The antifreeze overflow bottle has been keeping a pretty constant level, just have to add an ounce or so once in a while.

BTW, I have 144,400 miles on this head gasket, how long do these things last anyway? Seems to me thay should last a lot longer than that.

An original one put on at the factory should last a while. I don't see a reason for it to fail.

Once an engine is rebuilt, it's hard to insure 100% smooth straight surfaces, so who knows.

140k @ 12k a year although doesn't seem like long enough (should last for 300k or more) seems reasonable enough.

Just sucks to have to crack the block open for repairs.

Obviously the tablet you put in is temporary. Wouldn't it make cleaning and fixing the issue later much harder?

I recently bought some wheels and one had that stupid green fix a flat goo all over inside the rim. The shop couldn't even scrape it off. Just mounted new rubber as is.
mad.gif

Artem, as you point out, the anti-leak tablets are only a temporary solution. It will take a short time to cobble together the parts

Needed to do the head gasket replacement. I don't think cleaning will be much of a problem if memory serves, the last HG change was straight forward,

no problems at all.

Love this thread.

But honestly.... This engine seems impossibly spotless for have almost 600k miles on it. Good work!!

I keep forgetting to post that this whole thing is a continuation under the title of "Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 1993 Civic, 3,007 miles"

Wow you are racking up the miles on that Honda. The best I ever did was 242,000 on a 2003 Toyota Corolla. It was a hospital courier car and used on long trips to deliver medical stuff. It ran great when I sold it and I am sure it is still running around somewhere.

I'll bet that Corolla is still on the road, what is it that everyone says, Oh yeah, I miss that car and I'm sorry I sold it.

Harry j,

Congrats on the longevity of the Civic. Great job!

Now, kindly tell us DIY detailers how you manage to keep that engine bay so spotless that Phisbin is still in awe.

Constant reconditioning of parts that show even the slightest sign of wear / degradation over the years. A $5 rattle can of paint goes a long way. Lol.

Now, Artem.

I doubt that Harry painted the wires and black plastic.

Gyeon Prep followed by Gyeon Trim, maybe.
Sonus Motor Kote. More likely, considering the cost of G-Trim.

Let's wait to hear it from the "Half Million Miler" himself.

Harry?

I use various products under the hood. For the metal work, just about any metal polish can be used. The plastic was hand polished using connoisseurs

disposable polish wipes followed by F11 Top Coat. Armorall has a new wax wipe, although It's some kind of polymer, applied with bamboo knitting

needles of various sizes depending on the area to be cleaned. The valve cover was treated to McGuires extreme rubber dressing wipes.

That's pretty much it, unless you have a specific question on any process or item.

Thanks!

And here's wishing for all the future miles that you want on your Civic.

dkryan, thankyou for those kind words, I can't believe the Civic has lasted this long. I find it interesting in seeing just how long it will last.

Of course Honda would like to sell me a new one

Amazing run on this Honda. I have a 1993 S10 with 2.8L that has 207k on it. Original motor, clutch, tranny. Just maintenance items that have been replaced. 1993 was a good year for cars.

I totally agree bradtech, it was the golden years for Honda and others. I guess they realized their mistake and we have what we have today lol

Back