03 Suburban Stock Shock Replacement Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Suburban 1500 2 wheel drive and am looking for feedback from members for a good recommendation for front shocks to replace my stock shocks.

Last edited:
Bilstein 4600
smile.gif

Second choice would be KYB MonoMax, then Monroe Reflex

I've had great results from KYB shocks on GM Trucks/Vans.
Currently running them on my 05' Silverado.
Our GM Van work fleet is either running factory stock or KYBs.

Kyb excel g if you want something like stock. If you want better they make kyb gas ajust and then top tier kyb monomax.

Last edited:
I had a similar thread last year for my 03 Suburban Z71.. except a few chimed in with the Bilstein 5100. I spent another few days on many other boards and the consensus was the 5100 was a favorite just about everywhere... The price difference on ebay was like $20 more for the set of 4 5100s vs the 4600 so i pulled the trigger.

I had a set of NAPA shocks on for less than a year before these.. i believe they were a low level Monroe.

My review of the 5100 is that they are no nonsense firm and sure. No floating or body roll...just all business when it comes to absorbing the road on this heavy beast.

If you want soft and dreamy ride i would go with the Reflex, if you want solid and truck ride go with the Bilsteins.

Another vote for Bilstein 4600.

Why only the front? Unless you have the wonky air suspension in the rear, I'd replace the rears as well.

I replaced the rears last year. They are self adjusting and the oil leaked from them and the rear was sagging under load. New rears solved that problem. The fronts don't show any obvious problems other than unusual tire wear.

Thanks for all the replies.
I should state that I like the ride of my vehicle as it is, nice and smooth ride and good handling and when I say heavy loading, probably an constant additional 300 lb payload in the rear. Occassional heavy trailer loading (4-5k)
My biggest obstacle I am trying to address is the choppy wear on inside of front tires before I ruin the newer tires.

4600's. I wont touch Monroe's again. 4 years and 60,000km and the Sensatracs were absolutely worn out and some were destroyed. No towing, just leisurely driving. While cheaper up front, you will pay more in the long run with Monroe's.

With research, I have found the Bilstein 4600's as most have suggested.
Also found B6 4600, so I am not sure what the difference is and manufacturer is closed until new year.
Anyone know the difference?
Apparently Suburban ZW7 package has higher damping shocks for front. Anyone can verify either of these is the correct replacement for that ZW7 package? Price is not an issue.

Originally Posted by Fitz98
With research, I have found the Bilstein 4600's as most have suggested.
Also found B6 4600, so I am not sure what the difference is and manufacturer is closed until new year.
Anyone know the difference?
Apparently Suburban ZW7 package has higher damping shocks for front. Anyone can verify either of these is the correct replacement for that ZW7 package? Price is not an issue.

The B6 4600 is the same thing
smile.gif

Thanks to all, Pulled the trigger on Bilsteins 4600's, based on majority input.
With some further research I saw a few videos from manufacturer with cross sections and clear cylinders showing their advantages, funny thing is I also found a video that looked like it was made in the 80's showing same build and design, seems like it is tried and true and has been around for a while, a good testiment.
80's?
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...65B72BDF710C933F3F1&&FORM=VRDGAR
Today
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...73DD1B1CEEB8FC900E3&&FORM=VRDGAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back