Any Experience 2018 Ford Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Potential vehicle for my new wife. Are they pretty solid ? They look like a good interstate highway cruiser, wide track and low profile. Which engine choice in the Edge is the best all around compromise of power vs economy?

We have had 4 Edges so far.
2 - 2012 Edges both with the N/A 3.5L V6---> both with over 100K miles on them at the time of trade in. (Never a issue)

The daughter now drives a 2017 Edge Titanium w/2.0L EB. (She / We love the car)
The Wife drives a new 2019 Edge ST AWD w/2.7L EB. (So far she loves it) She had her pick of brand Lexus/Cadillac and she chose to get back in the Edge!

They do drive/handle very nice and plenty of power.
Very Reliable if YOU do your part and do your preventive maintenance.

My neighbors have had one for years ... they like it and no issues ... we had an MKX for a few years ... nice ride

I had one as a rental several times.. they are wider than they look. also visibility can be awkward. Sit in one and see if you like it.

Might consider 2019 outback or forester they are both improved.. however you have to live with 185hp and cvt.. although it is one of the best cvt out there.

I know someone with one (2013?14? Don't remember) and just rode in it last week. They've put 45K miles on it since buying it used about a year ago. I thought I drove a lot but they drive more than me! Not a single problem and they take it to Big O Tires for oil changes sooooo must be a good car! But seriously, they are reliable and comfortable. And not slow! Unfortunately I think now you can't get a naturally aspirated V6 anymore, only EcoBoost engines, so be sure to run a quality 5w-30 synthetic! And change the tranny fluid regularly!

Last edited:
Does the Edge use the 6F50 transmission or the 6F35? How about the PTU...is it serviceable and accessable or a nightmare?

I'm looking for a second vehicle that will be easy to get my mom into without her climbing up in (as is the case with my pickup truck) or climbing back out from down low (as in a car). Just getting ready to start shopping but I haven't researched too much yet. The Edge looks quite reasonable from a distance.

I like the Edge and may move up to one from the Escape when the time comes.
I have a couple of friends who own one and both love them. We love the Escape and there is little MPG penalty with the Edge 2.0T....so...

I've had one for a year as my company car and absolutely love it. 18K after about 13 months with the 2.0 turbo. Smooth, comfortable, powerful...one of the nicest combinations of comfort and handling I've ever had (I spent 6 years in the car business after college and have been driving for about 35 years..so have driven a lot of vehicles). Didn't think I was going to like it but ended up loving it.

We picked up an '18 Sport. So far, so good. Learning all the technology took awhile. It's pretty amazing. I know three people with them and all have said it was the best vehicle they ever purchased.

And for BITOG types, the oil changes are very easy.

Okay, sounding good. Looks like the SEL trim level is the one for us. She still needs to look at one in person and drive one however. I can say that when looking at pictures she didnt like the funky looking sideways hvac vents on either side of the center dash console. And we'd likely be doing a one year old used 2018 or dealer demo 2018 to take the bite out of price and depreciation.

We are pretty happy with 3.5 Duratec Explorer. I believe its same engine in Edge. 34k miles in year and half.

GF has a 2013 (?) with the V6, purchased used (off lease), and she loves it. I've driven it, and also like it, and I hate SUV's. No problems, but supposedly the 4WD version of that generation has questionable 4WD stuff. N/A for this particular vehicle since I talked her into getting the front wheel drive version. Way better than the 2000 Forester that she traded in on it.

There is a Ford Edge forum that you might find helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back