1.5T Civic HB 6MT, 6,430mi 5w30AMS SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see what the new numbers show but my thinking is that fuel dilution would be higher during the break in period. Hopefully the numbers would settle down here shortly. Your wear metals are very good despite the FD and that is a conundrum that has been discussed here ad nauseam.

I agree. I really posted this for those thinking of buying one and are in doubt. Issue seems to be overblown really

Originally Posted by parshisa
I agree. I really posted this for those thinking of buying one and are in doubt. Issue seems to be overblown really

So you're saying this UOA should make prospective Civic 1.5T owners feel more at ease about their possible purchase?!?
🙄🙄🙄

If you were to change it early due to the fuel, the fuel ditlution would quickly increase to around where it is now. The rate of change of fuel dilution is equal to fuel added per time minus fuel evaporated per time. Fuel evaporated per time is proportional to the amount of fuel present. That's why fuel rapidly builds up initially and then reaches a varying steady state amount. The varying steady state is due to the varying driving routine and varying outside temperature.

Originally Posted by JAG
That's why fuel rapidly builds up initially and then reaches a varying steady state amount. The varying steady state is due to the varying driving routine and varying outside temperature.

A varying steady state?!?
Really?!?
🙄

Wear levels look great and viscosity is in range, makes you wonder.
Oil seems to be protecting well.
It seems like fuel dilution is the nature of the beast with DI engines.

The issue may be overblown, but Honda certainly is trying to determine why fuel continues to accumulate over time, particularly in the 1.5-liter motor.

Yeah, I'm really happy with the wear numbers. I think this oil is doing good job

Originally Posted by cronk
Wear levels look great and viscosity is in range, makes you wonder.
Oil seems to be protecting well.
It seems like fuel dilution is the nature of the beast with DI engines.

Virgin viscosity @100C for Amsoil SS 20 weight is 8.8, OP's is at 8.9 so almost a 20. SS 5w30 starts as10.3. Not sure if that's relevant but just thought I'd mention it.

Update: lab re-ran FD and voscocity - came back same values. Oh well, dilution it is, low wear I take. 7K or a bit more should be just about right. Amsoil is such an amazing oil, I cannot even think of any other brand that would've donw such a remarkable job

Update: lab re-ran FD and voscocity - came back same values. Oh well, dilution it is, low wear I take. 7K or a bit more should be just about right. Amsoil is such an amazing oil, I cannot even think of any other brand that would've donw such a remarkable job

Any synthetic. Really DI engines cause a bit of fuel dilution and the peanut gallery goes ape because they read a decade of trace amounts of fuel in UOA'S. The data suggests the fuel is not causing significant harm but paranoia runs deep and individuals must claim some control for ego purposes thus when fuel is present the suggestion to change earlier is popular without data to enforce the recommendation.

I didn't expect it to change, unless it was cubby fingers that typed a wrong digit.

I wouldn't be surprised if Walmart's Supertech gave you the same results for much cheaper.

With the fuel getting in, I wouldn't run any extended runs on high end Lube, if it was me.

With the expensive Amsoil, you pretty much have to run it long enough to make sense. I don't think this engine is a good candidate for this, regardless if the wear isn't elevated. There's just no way all this fuel in the sump isn't causing some type of wear possibly even unseen by the Lab

I wasn't being serious about "the best oil". Although it seems to be working fine. I had a case of it pretty much for free so still have another 2OCI worth of oil. Next will be PP5w30 sitting in the garage as well. Or maybe i'll try it out now and compare. Decisions decisions

I wonder how their XL line would compare in this engine. I've got SS 0W20 waiting to go in. My first oil change didn't increase the level. Currently running EP 0w20.

I doubt there would be any noticeable difference.
I'm still not clear as to how fuel diltuion reads over 5% by volume by there's no increase in the level on the dipstick as well as overall oil volum in the sump. With that said, once i run out of amsoil (2Ñ…OCI), any "light" off the shelf 5w30 will be going in (PP5w30 looks like the best candidate) for 5K OCI

Perhaps this is Hondas' way of making sure the oil level stays correct on the dipstick.

As the engine burns off some oil, fuel vapors accumulate and replenishes the sump at a perfect 1:1 ratio.

crackmeup2.gif

That is the only reasonable explanation really. Makes 0 sense though. Honda came up with solution/TSB which supposedly will only make an engine warm up go quicker, which i imagine will do nothing to oil dilution issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back