Most popular All-Season Tire for an AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Most popular, I'm not sure, but the Firestone Destination LE2 tires I have on the Liberty have been great for the last 15K miles. Perfect in dry conditions, as well as in rain and snow, and are showing little to no wear. I'd buy them again when the time comes.

Demar: These have been our go to tires for the last few years with both our FWD Ford Edges!
They have been awesome in Rain/Snow/Ice and even give great control on the dry tarmac!

We have a Hibdons Tire center about 2 hours from the house that is owned by Firestone and they give top notch service and great prices on these tires.
My daughters 2012 Limited Edge that we just traded in for the wifes Edge ST has just past 45K miles on all four of the LE2s and all 4 still looked in great shape.
I rotated these tires 2 times a yr (Once before summer and Once before winter) which is how I have been doing it for many yrs.

I was just looking for maybe a second option for a AWD Edge.
I guess if it isn't broke - why bother trying to fix it.

Originally Posted by -SyN-
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Most popular, I'm not sure, but the Firestone Destination LE2 tires I have on the Liberty have been great for the last 15K miles. Perfect in dry conditions, as well as in rain and snow, and are showing little to no wear. I'd buy them again when the time comes.

Demar: These have been our go to tires for the last few years with both our FWD Ford Edges!
They have been awesome in Rain/Snow/Ice and even give great control on the dry tarmac!

We have a Hibdons Tire center about 2 hours from the house that is owned by Firestone and they give top notch service and great prices on these tires.
My daughters 2012 Limited Edge that we just traded in for the wifes Edge ST has just past 45K miles on all four of the LE2s and all 4 still looked in great shape.
I rotated these tires 2 times a yr (Once before summer and Once before winter) which is how I have been doing it for many yrs.

I was just looking for maybe a second option for a AWD Edge.
I guess if it isn't broke - why bother trying to fix it.

I agree about if it ain't broke don't fix it. I had Goodyear Fortera tires on it, which is what it came with. They were good on the Liberty and sucked on my van. After doing my homework and talking with Trav about them I gave the Firestone Destination LE2 tires a shot. They were less expensive and way better. Honestly if you were happy with them, don't fix what ain't broke. Merry Christmas!

Mainia said:
That SUV puts you into the Ultra High Performance Vehicle category. That's one of my pet peeves is good rain tire.
That's exactly right! That particular Ford Edge is a whole different animal than the other models. Ford shod that vehicle with Ultra High Performance tires for a reason. Stay in that category.

Some time back I did something to the wife's Lexus RX 330 AWD which is normally just not me. Went and got tires for it then brought it home and changed the battery (AGM), wipers, oil & filters etc.
I had went to DT and they didn't have much choice in tires in size that day. There was 2 sizes listed and we have the larger. Instead of going to another store or wait a day or so until they get something in stock, one of the few they did have in a set of four was the DT Yokohama YK 740 GTX. I knew nothing about them (still don't) but didn't want the run-around but figured if we didn't like them I'll be back for something else. Turns out we are very happy with them. Quiet and wet traction is what we were looking for and so far I couldn't be happier. And there happen to be a rebate on them but that is no deciding factor for me.
Now I know a few others running the same tires (Prius to sedan's) and they are quite happy with them too.

Thanks to all for the Replies and Many Points of Advice!

I just read where most large discount tire stores/retailers --> When It comes to AWD autos will not just install 2 new tires.
They will only install 4.

Anyone else whom owns a AWD experienced this first hand?

Thanks.

We are probably 3 yrs out on replacement tires for the 2019 Edge but the daughters 2017 Edge will need new tread after she graduates college in may.
Yes her Titanium Edge was blessed with the same Hankook tires & with only 29K miles these tires are showing way less then half tread left. So! The search begins for a set of 245/55R19 tires.

The Firestones are indeed at the top of my list.
But I am open and willing to listen to all advice and recommendations.

SyN
You will have a little more wiggle room with the 2017 Titanium. The Titanium isn't really considered a high performance vehicle like your new ST. For best performance stay with what Ford recommends in the owners manual. Brand doesn't really matter. Toyo makes some good tires and can be purchased through your Ford dealership. Ford dealers have very competitive tire pricing.

Last edited:

I just read where most large discount tire stores/retailers --> When It comes to AWD autos will not just install 2 new tires.

Thanks.

We are probably 3 yrs out on replacement tires for the 2019 Edge but the daughters 2017 Edge will need new tread after she graduates college in may.
Yes her Titanium Edge was blessed with the same Hankook tires & with only 29K miles these tires are showing way less then half tread left. So! The search begins for a set of 245/55R19 tires.

They will install only four because of transfer case. You need same or very close diameter on all four wheels otherwise if there is too much discrepancy in diameter it can damage transfer case. Do not joke with that.
I missed bunch of discussion but saw you are mentioning that that car will be driven in rain/snow/ice. Stick to winter tires. Really, everything else is just compromise. If that car is a keeper, get different set of tires and wheels for winter. Check what is smaller wheel and tire size that fits. I bet Edge can be equipped with 18" wheels. It might be much cheaper to get four 18" wheels and tires than four 20" tires alone.
That is what I do on both vehicles. For example I have in summer on Tiguan 235/50 R18, and in winter, winter tires 215/65 R16. There is nothing in all season, all weather category, especially in 20" category, that will perform like winter tires in conditions you want them to perform in.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Thanks.

They will install only four because of transfer case. You need same or very close diameter on all four wheels otherwise if there is too much discrepancy in diameter it can damage transfer case. Do not joke with that.
I missed bunch of discussion but saw you are mentioning that that car will be driven in rain/snow/ice. Stick to winter tires. Really, everything else is just compromise. If that car is a keeper, get different set of tires and wheels for winter. Check what is smaller wheel and tire size that fits. I bet Edge can be equipped with 18" wheels. It might be much cheaper to get four 18" wheels and tires than four 20" tires alone.
That is what I do on both vehicles. For example I have in summer on Tiguan 235/50 R18, and in winter, winter tires 215/65 R16. There is nothing in all season, all weather category, especially in 20" category, that will perform like winter tires in conditions you want them to perform in.

It's generally accepted that the tires should be within 2/32nds of each other. However-some tire shops want to sell 4 no matter what the tread depth.
I had an "un-repairable" puncture on my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe XL, even tho the car was almost new-they wanted to sell me 4 tires because of AWD (that isn't full time btw). The other tires were only worn 2/32nds-so a new single tire was installed at an tire shop that understood this. This is also Subarus spec as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

Thanks.

It's generally accepted that the tires should be within 2/32nds of each other. However-some tire shops want to sell 4 no matter what the tread depth.
I had an "un-repairable" puncture on my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe XL, even tho the car was almost new-they wanted to sell me 4 tires because of AWD (that isn't full time btw). The other tires were only worn 2/32nds-so a new single tire was installed at an tire shop that understood this. This is also Subarus spec as well.

Sure, there is that thing of selling it, but they also do not want to be responsible for it.
As for full or part time AWD that does not play role. Your rear wheels are on during acceleration, cornering etc. and it does not have to be 100% front to be part time. In my Tiguan in most cases it is 90/10 except hwy.

The Edge is no Subaru, but if it were mine I'd throw on ContiExtremeContact DWS06s, Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus, or the Defender LTX/Defender T+H(I feel the Premier series is more fair-weather and is more appropriate for a Lexus/Acura/Infiniti/Escalade/Mercedes/Range Rover/BMW X Series).

The Firestone Destination LE2 seems to be a good bang for the buck choice, and the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus ain't too bad either. But I think the Conti/Pirelli/Michelin(non-Premier) will do better in light-moderate snow. There really isn't a substitute for a real "winter" tire IMO.

Originally Posted by CKN

Thanks.

Sure, there is that thing of selling it, but they also do not want to be responsible for it.
As for full or part time AWD that does not play role. Your rear wheels are on during acceleration, cornering etc. and it does not have to be 100% front to be part time. In my Tiguan in most cases it is 90/10 except hwy.

If the tire is within 2/32nds it's not going to have a negative impact. But I understand your point.

Originally Posted by nthach
The Edge is no Subaru, but if it were mine I'd throw on ContiExtremeContact DWS06s, Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus, or the Defender LTX/Defender T+H(I feel the Premier series is more fair-weather and is more appropriate for a Lexus/Acura/Infiniti/Escalade/Mercedes/Range Rover/BMW X Series).

The Firestone Destination LE2 seems to be a good bang for the buck choice, and the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus ain't too bad either. But I think the Conti/Pirelli/Michelin(non-Premier) will do better in light-moderate snow. There really isn't a substitute for a real "winter" tire IMO.

Subaru's are responsible for majority of back ups and crashes in snow here in CO where Subaru sells largest amount of vehicles per capita in the US.
Point is, ANY AWD with all seasons will move car forward. However, it will not keep it in the curve or stop properly.
Accidents do not happen because cars cannot move forward fast enough, but because they cannot stop fast enough!

Subaru's are responsible for majority of back ups and crashes in snow here in CO where Subaru sells largest amount of vehicles per capita in the US.
Point is, ANY AWD with all seasons will move car forward. However, it will not keep it in the curve or stop properly.
Accidents do not happen because cars cannot move forward fast enough, but because they cannot stop fast enough!

How many times have you posted this??? BTW-your statement is partially incorrect-

https://blog.iseecars.com/10-states-where-subarus-are-most-popular/

Last edited:

It's not so much the car as it is the tires and driver. I've seen new Range Rovers and Tacomas in the ditch heading up to Tahoe, and I've seen a Prius on winter tires pass my friend's Forester.

AWD can give you a fighting chance in the snow or ice, but it does you little if you don't have the skills to drive in those conditions(SLOW DOWN, braking is longer, etc) and the OEM tires on many are suited towards MPG than traction. With that said, any AWD system will work better with the right tires.

Do not Land Rovers come with summer tires? No skill will help you, unless it is parking skill.

Krzys

It's not so much the car as it is the tires and driver. I've seen new Range Rovers and Tacomas in the ditch heading up to Tahoe, and I've seen a Prius on winter tires pass my friend's Forester.

AWD can give you a fighting chance in the snow or ice, but it does you little if you don't have the skills to drive in those conditions(SLOW DOWN, braking is longer, etc) and the OEM tires on many are suited towards MPG than traction. With that said, any AWD system will work better with the right tires.

What fighting chance? AWD will move forward. You get stuck, you go out, you swallow your pride and ask for help. People will be [censored] behind (like I was at driver of Land Cruiser over Hoosier pass, since his uber, all mighty LC could not negotiate curve, unlike my FWD VW CC on snows), but hey, you live.
Going down? If you cannot stop, people cannot get [censored] at you, you cannot swallow your pride etc. Range Rovers in the ditch? Check! Tacoma's? Check! Why? Tires and feeling that they drive "rough" car. A. Range Rover is heavy which in slick condition is really not good if tires are not good, and B. Tacoma with heavy front and light back, driver who thinks he/she drives really good off road vehicle (which in snow is irrelevant).
People do not get that having locking differentials, two speed transfer case etc. means nothing in snow and ice if tires are not soft and flexible for those temperatures and surfaces.
Put any RR or Tacoma on tires they come in from factory or some all seasons or all terrain over Loveland Pass here in CO in snow, I will go over with my SIenna or Tiguan, get mi skis out, catch lift, before they park their car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

How many times have you posted this??? BTW-your statement is partially incorrect-

https://blog.iseecars.com/10-states-where-subarus-are-most-popular/

Do not know, trying to be nice and not say: when I see Subaru in slick condition behind I downshift and run away as fast as possible.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
If you need all-season tires can cannot do a separate set of tires for the winter, consider a 3-peak all-season tire. Examples include:
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Nokian WRG4
Toyo Celsius
Goodyear Weatherready
Michelin CrossClimate+

They are NOT all seasons, but all weather big difference!!

There is indeed a difference, and that 3-peak sign is what makes it an all-weather tire as opposed to all-season.

Tire Rack does not use the term "all weather" and just lumps them in with all the other other grand touring all-season tires
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back