Did you ever listen to the Voyager "Golden Record"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been alive for 50 years and never listened to the "Golden Record" until today - "The Sounds of Earth"

https://soundcloud.com/nasa/sets/golden-record-sounds-of

"poppin johnnies" (2-cylinder John Deere tractors) and steam trains are (realistically) things very much "of the past".

Same with a blacksmith... and clip-clop horse hooves are seldom heard unless you are in Amish country....

It's amazing to think that when NASA scientists were debating what sounds need to be on that record - that's what they felt was necessary!

LOL, thanks for sharing...51 on Tuesday here, and also I've never listened to it.

However, listening to it, I fail to see how the intent to communicate to a (presumably advanced intelligence) other species could be achieved with it.

This Asimov story may help understand where I'm coming from

http://urbigenous.net/library/power.html

"In 1977, NASA launched two spacecraft called Voyager to explore the outer solar system and to serve as emissaries of Earth to the stars.
Attached to each spacecraft is a gold-coated copper phonograph record containing a message to possible extraterrestrial civilizations
that may encounter them in some distant space and time-a greeting created by a committee chaired by Cornell astronomer, Carl Sagan."

https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2017/10/cornellians-celebrate-voyagers-historic-golden-record
Cornellians celebrate the Voyagers' historic Golden Record

Four decades after NASA's twin Voyager spacecraft launched from Cape Canaveral,
about 800 Cornellians gathered at Bailey Hall Oct. 19 to celebrate the unprecedented mission,
its famous Golden Record and the university's role in the mission.

A panel focused on the Golden Record - a 12-inch, gold-covered copper record containing salutations to the universe,
international music and images of life on Earth -
that was affixed to the Voyagers so aliens could grasp something about our world.
The record's shelf life: 1 to 5 billion years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record

The contents of the record were selected for NASA by a committee chaired by Carl Sagan of Cornell University.
The selection of content for the record took almost a year.

Sagan and his associates assembled 115 images and a variety of natural sounds, such as those made by surf, wind, thunder and animals (including the songs of birds and whales).

To this they added musical selections from different cultures and eras, spoken greetings in 55 ancient and modern languages, other human sounds, like footsteps and laughter (Sagan's),[1] and printed messages from U.S. president Jimmy Carter and U.N. Secretary-General Kurt Waldheim. The record also includes the inspirational message Per aspera ad astra in Morse code.

The collection of images includes many photographs and diagrams both in black and white, and color.
The first images are of scientific interest, showing mathematical and physical quantities, the Solar System and its planets,
DNA, and human anatomy and reproduction. Care was taken to include not only pictures of humanity,
but also some of animals, insects, plants and landscapes. Images of humanity depict a broad range of cultures.

These images show food, architecture, and humans in portraits as well as going about their day-to-day lives. Many pictures are annotated with one or more indications of scales of time, size, or mass. Some images contain indications of chemical composition. All measures used on the pictures are defined in the first few images using physical references that are likely to be consistent anywhere in the universe.

The musical selection is also varied, featuring works by composers such as J.S. Bach (interpreted by Glenn Gould), Mozart, Beethoven (played by the Budapest String Quartet), and Stravinsky. The disc also includes music by Guan Pinghu, Blind Willie Johnson, Chuck Berry, Kesarbai Kerkar, Valya Balkanska, and electronic composer Laurie Spiegel, as well as Azerbaijani folk music by oboe player Kamil Jalilov.

The inclusion of Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" was controversial, with some claiming that rock music was "adolescent", to which Sagan replied, "There are a lot of adolescents on the planet."

The selection of music for the record was completed by a team composed of Carl Sagan as project director, Linda Salzman Sagan, Frank Drake, Alan Lomax, Ann Druyan as creative director, artist Jon Lomberg, Timothy Ferris as producer, and Jimmy Iovine as sound engineer.

The Golden Record also carries an hour-long recording of the brainwaves of Ann Druyan
During the recording of the brainwaves, Druyan thought of many topics, including Earth's history, civilizations and the problems they face, and what it was like to fall in love.

After NASA had received criticism over the nudity on the Pioneer plaque (line drawings of a naked man and woman), the agency chose not to allow Sagan and his colleagues to include a photograph of a nude man and woman on the record. Instead, only a silhouette of the couple was included. However, the record does contain "Diagram of vertebrate evolution", by Jon Lomberg, with drawings of an anatomically correct naked male and naked female, showing external organs.

The pulsar map and hydrogen molecule diagram are shared in common with the Pioneer plaque.

The 115 images are encoded in analogue form and composed of 512 vertical lines.

The remainder of the record is audio, designed to be played at 16â…” revolutions per minute.

Jimmy Iovine, who was still early in his career as a music producer, served as sound engineer for the project. It has been said that Carl Sagan suggested including the Beatles song "Here Comes the Sun" on the record but the record company EMI, which held the copyrights, declined. However, this was refuted by Timothy Ferris, who worked on the selection with Sagan; the song was never even considered for inclusion

The diagram, in Binary code, depicting Instructions on how to play the record:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record#/media/File:Voyager_Golden_Record_Cover_Explanation.svg

Originally Posted by Linctex
It has been said that Carl Sagan suggested including the Beatles song "Here Comes the Sun" on the record but the record company EMI, which held the copyrights, declined. However, this was refuted by Timothy Ferris, who worked on the selection with Sagan; the song was never even considered for inclusion

We may or may not have included your song on our record. Go catch that probe if you want proof so you may sue us.

Me thinks there will be some very confused space cadets somewhere out there if and when they find this record! Even in the context of being an earthling it is pretty difficult to determine what one is hearing, let alone "why". some sounds were included. For example, try the sounds of the steam locomotive and the John Deere tractor on young adults today and see what we get. BTW, I'm more than old enough to have heard those two sounds when they were current devices. Nice try Houston!

I think some of you are underestimating how long it'll be before that recording is ever heard...

And assuming the craft isn't destroyed by a rogue Klingon ship, whoever listens to the record won't recognize any of the sounds whether they were made today or 50 years ago.

Originally Posted by chainblu
I think some of you are underestimating how long it'll be before that recording is ever heard...

And assuming the craft isn't destroyed by a rogue Klingon ship, whoever listens to the record won't recognize any of the sounds whether they were made today or 50 years ago.

And you know this how?

It could be 300,000 years before the craft gets near the closest star on it's course..... which has no planets orbiting it.

There was an episode of Star Trek "Enterprise" where Scott Bakula's character experienced a recording from a civilization that had disappeared multiple millennia ago....

In all honesty - - - By the time the Voyager record is heard by any intelligent life, Human Earth life will most likely be extinct.

Originally Posted by SaturnIonVue

For example, try the sounds of the steam locomotive and the John Deere tractor on young adults today and see what we get. BTW, I'm more than old enough to have heard those two sounds when they were current devices. Nice try Houston!

Between the steam choo-choo and the rocket that got this thing out of orbit shows our procession of industrial abilities. A slice of time, sure. But whatever alien form eventually digs this relic up might be in a similar place in their evolution.

I mean, they might worship it as a god for millennia until they realize what all that stuff actually means.

I remember a copy of The Golden Record came with an issue of National Geographic when I was a youngster, I listened to it then. It was preceded by Songs of The Humpback Whale record in an earlier issue of National Geographic as I recall.

Today you'd just get a web link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back