Horrible AAA roadside assistance experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks:

Two weeks ago while driving up for my mother-in-law's 90th birthday, my 2011 BMW 328i picked up a noticeable misfire after stopping for a quick snack at a Burger King in King City, CA. Long story short, I drove it less than 1/2 mile, quickly looping back to the Shell station across the street. I didn't want to do further harm or burn up the cats.

My wife drives a lot for her job so we have the Premier membership that I pay extra for. The Premier membership's primary advance is that they will tow longer distances for free, not response time. I was 55 miles from home. I should add that I've been a AAA member for over 20 years. Not only do they insure my cars, they insure both our homes.

Anyway, I called for a flat bed tow. After one polite followup call, and two reasonable but irritated followup calls, my roadside assistance arrived 4 1/2 hours later! Four and a half hours later?! Totally unacceptable. On my third call the AAA woman even said, "Wow, that would make me angry too!".

I called a towing company near our hometown residence and was arranging an out of pocket tow ($550), when the AAA roadside assistance guy showed up in his flat bed truck. He was great, I have no issue with the service he provided me. And he was equally surprised at how long I had been waiting. He told me he just started his shift and that I was his first call, FWIW. My initial roadside call was shortly after 1PM.

Don't you think 4 1/2 hours is too long? King City is not a large city, but it's not some podunk little town either. And besides I was stranded just 50 miles in either direction from much larger cities. Also too, I had the benefit of being at the Shell station. I was in a safe area with food and water, and a nice little table to sit at. :) To be stuck roadside in the middle of nowhere halfway between Templeton and King City would have been far worse. On that stretch of road there are two short sections where there is no cell service. Had my wife been stranded like that I would have been outraged.

Scott

PS I scanned the car when I got home. #5 coil bad. I called around and the Bosch coils are extremely failure prone. Even the BMW dealer told me they replace Bosch coils with Delphi coils (the Delphi coils look like they are better quality, Delphi on left in picture). I ordered them from Pelican Parts and replaced all six, along with a new set of plugs since I was right there in the area.

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1678-1.jpg

Glad it turned out ok and wasn't a huge expense. I would be very upset as well. Being that this may be your only bad experience in the 20 yrs, I'd begrudgingly give them a bly (pass) on this one. But i would let corp know so it doesn't happen to others.

From that one picture, the BMW looks beautiful and well cared for, congrats to you and the wife.

How long you've been a member doesn't really come into it. They prioritize their calls. Had you been on the highway, they would have come right away. I've had breakdowns where I waited 2-3 hours for a tow truck to come because I was in a parking lot. I had a broken spring once on the highway and I think they came within something like 10 minutes. Told them I was in the breakdown lane with cars flying past me at 60+.

Originally Posted by wemay
Glad it turned out ok and wasn't a huge expense. I would be very upset as well. Being that this may be your only bad experience in the 20 yrs, I'd begrudgingly give them a bly (pass) on this one. But i would let corp know so it doesn't happen to others.

From that one picture, the BMW looks beautiful and well cared for, congrats to you and the wife.

Thank you.

In 20 years of AAA membership this is the first time I've ever needed roadside assistance. I've taught my wife to change her own tires if need be. As further insurance, all our cars are equipped with Continental inflators with goo, flashlights, tire gauges, etc. The BMW I was driving comes with runflats and no spare tire. I really dislike those setups. I immediately changed to the BBS CHs and a set of Bridgestone RE-11s, and added a spare tire and jack. As you can see, I am both prepared and OCD. Haha!

Scott

IMG_2107.jpg

If any consolation it's a good thing you were in a safe area and not a dread zone. That would be very scary.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
As you can see, I am both prepared and OCD. Haha!

Scott

That tie down strap doesn't appear to be perfectly centered across the Tirerack logo. A hair low on the 'Rack' end...

Signed,

OCD 02SE

grin2.gif

You should AAA to complain and see about a free renewal for next year or something.

Originally Posted by PimTac
If any consolation it's a good thing you were in a safe area and not a dread zone. That would be very scary.

I am suggesting we put a GPS tracking app on my wife's phone. She drives 4K miles per month for her job, and most times she checks in with me at predetermined checkpoints while on her travels. She a great wife, faithful and all, but she's not crazy about the tracking app. It's the principal. Can't blame her.

Scott

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Originally Posted by wemay

Thank you.

In 20 years of AAA membership this is the first time I've ever needed roadside assistance. I've taught my wife to change her own tires if need be. As further insurance, all our cars are equipped with Continental inflators with goo, flashlights, tire gauges, etc. The BMW I was driving comes with runflats and no spare tire. I really dislike those setups. I immediately changed to the BBS CHs and a set of Bridgestone RE-11s, and added a spare tire and jack. As you can see, I am both prepared and OCD. Haha!

Scott

Haha, great setup

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
I like the way you strapped-down your Spare Tire.
To many people (myself included) would have it loose.
In a rollover, YOU are better protected.

Actually, I worried that if I ever ran into something and came to an immediate stop, an unsecured spare tire might fly out through the windshield, removing my head at the shoulders! Also too, the BMW sees lots of transient cornering forces. I don't want it sliding and banging around back there.

Another picture, just because I think the car is sexy. :)

Scott

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

It could have been worse. This will happen in Canada when it gets to -23C and everyone is so shocked that their 5 year old battery has failed?

Thanks for sharing about the upside of the Delphi coils, as mentioned above, excellent idea to keep one in the trunk.

Im not sure who you should blame. AAA hands over their calls to local tow companies that they have agreements with. If the tow company is located many miles away it could be on them.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
4.5 hours is completely UNSAT. I'd be furious.

Also, keep the best looking of your old coils in the trunk.

I'm keeping the five good ones in there. But I haven't added the tools to do the job though...

I keep a spare serpentine belt, with the tools to do the job! The tensioner requires a Torx T-60! You won't find that locally!

Scott

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Im not sure who you should blame. AAA hands over their calls to local tow companies that they have agreements with. If the tow company is located many miles away it could be on them.

Tow company was just 2 or 3 miles away, based right there in King City. I hear you, but I hold AAA responsible. They are the ones I pay every year.

Scott

Originally Posted by Leo99
You should AAA to complain and see about a free renewal for next year or something.

Ditto, my wife says to quit AAA and go with our auto insurance GEICO Roadside Assistance. They come to you aide in 15 minutes here in Honolulu (her boss's experiences).

I guess it's where and when you need a tow. So far we've had decent luck with AAA showing up fairly promptly on the tows we needed. I guess it depends upon where you breakdown and how busy the tow company is, but a 4+ hour wait is ridiculous. Since you're in California maybe AAA and the tow company had to file an environmental impact study first. Then they had to pay the associated California environmental fees before they could retrieve you. Just kidding
lol.gif
! Though I'm in NJ and I'm sure our new "gov" would be more than willing to charge one
smirk2.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back