Photos of Truck Tire Treads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by userfriendly
www.tiresize.com

I bought 3 sets of winter tires this fall.

2016 GMC 2500 work truck; 265/70/17 Toyo CT
2013 GMC 1500 SLT 275/60/20 Nitto EXO studded
2018 Chev 3500 HC; 275/65/20 Nitto EXO

On 3rd winter; 2011 2500 GMC SLE 6.6;
275/65/20 Hankook RW-11

Thank you for the great link!!!! Bookmarked right away.

Originally Posted by Traction
It's the snowball effect. Also take note, that usually a good highway tire will get better snow/ice traction than the knobbiest of AT tires. Maybe trying to claw through 2 feet of snow, a mud tire might work better, but that's about it.

I'm going to disagree with that - and point out that problem of discussing snow/ice traction is defining what we mean. Snow can range from very dry and powdery to wet and sticky - and needless to say that optimizing a tire's traction for either of those conditions would result in something different.

Similarly, "ice" can mean a whole range of things as well. So trying to make blanket statements about what is best is fraught with issues.

Further, what is a "highway tire"? Is that the same as an all season? or are we talking about a tire designed for use on a truck used primarily for the highway where wear is the most important thing (which also means it has very little in the way of sipes and cross grooves - and therefore would perform poorly in snow.)

That said, as a general rule, the weather conditions usually encountered means that tires with lots of edges perform better overall. But there are enough varying conditions where "lots of edges" isn't the ultimate answer - for that particular set of conditions. That is what makes these type of discussions inevitable.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
It's the snowball effect. Also take note, that usually a good highway tire will get better snow/ice traction than the knobbiest of AT tires. Maybe trying to claw through 2 feet of snow, a mud tire might work better, but that's about it.

I'm going to disagree with that - and point out that problem of discussing snow/ice traction is defining what we mean. Snow can range from very dry and powdery to wet and sticky - and needless to say that optimizing a tire's traction for either of those conditions would result in something different.

Similarly, "ice" can mean a whole range of things as well. So trying to make blanket statements about what is best is fraught with issues.

Further, what is a "highway tire"? Is that the same as an all season? or are we talking about a tire designed for use on a truck used primarily for the highway where wear is the most important thing (which also means it has very little in the way of sipes and cross grooves - and therefore would perform poorly in snow.)

That said, as a general rule, the weather conditions usually encountered means that tires with lots of edges perform better overall. But there are enough varying conditions where "lots of edges" isn't the ultimate answer - for that particular set of conditions. That is what makes these type of discussions inevitable.

So are snow tires designed to pack with snow (when the snow is wet, not powdery)?

Originally Posted by cheesepuffs

So are snow tires designed to pack with snow (when the snow is wet, not powdery)?

[[Being very careful with the wording]]

Winter tires are generally all season tires with additional sipes and a tread rubber change. So while the design intent isn't to pack up the tread pattern with snow, that is what happens, which is why those ridges in the groove work.

So are the ridges supposed to function like paddles, or are the ridges there to actually hold the snow in the tread and keep it packed? Or maybe they're supposed to keep the grooves clear and stop the snow from sticking? I'm a bit lost now as to what they're actually accomplishing.

Originally Posted by cheesepuffs
So are the ridges supposed to function like paddles, or are the ridges there to actually hold the snow in the tread and keep it packed? Or maybe they're supposed to keep the grooves clear and stop the snow from sticking? I'm a bit lost now as to what they're actually accomplishing.

According to Continental, they hold snow to create snow on snow traction.

Off road and deep snow traction is different. Especially if the snow is wet. Spin to clean, or you're not going anywhere.
Guys pulling sled trailers, or have sleds on box decks often use MTR type tires with the traction controls turned off.

We even have to turn off TC in the sand or mud - when you need the RPM's the most - computer taketh away ...

That's what was found in the early days of ABS...just when you wanted to be able to lock things up, the ABS would have you sailing along merrily over the precipice.

Haven't paid attention, but did that ever change, or has been simply accepted as the price of doing business in ABS equipped cars ?

Originally Posted by Shannow
That's what was found in the early days of ABS...just when you wanted to be able to lock things up, the ABS would have you sailing along merrily over the precipice.

Haven't paid attention, but did that ever change, or has been simply accepted as the price of doing business in ABS equipped cars ?

I believe that's still very much the case.

In this case, isn't a "highway" tire something like a Michelin LTX M/S(or Defender LTX)/Conti CrossContact series/General Grabber HTS60 or even a "all-terrain" tire like a Firestone Destination A/T and a "mud" tire(or bro-swamper) would be something like Nitto TerraGrappler or BFG KO2?

I know Goodyear is getting away with the 3PMSF symbol on their new Assurance WeatherReady tire and some non-"winter" tires like General's Grabber ATx as well. And Michelin is selling a reworked version of the LTX M/S2 with a winter compound as the LTX Winter. For a winter tire - is it more tread pattern(more sipes and edges), compound(softer compound or in Bridgestone's case, "multi-cell" technology) or both that dictate how well a tire can get through heavy snow and ice?

Originally Posted by nthach

In this case, isn't a "highway" tire something like a Michelin LTX M/S(or Defender LTX)/Conti CrossContact series/General Grabber HTS60 or even a "all-terrain" tire like a Firestone Destination A/T and a "mud" tire(or bro-swamper) would be something like Nitto TerraGrappler or BFG KO2?

I know Goodyear is getting away with the 3PMSF symbol on their new Assurance WeatherReady tire and some non-"winter" tires like General's Grabber ATx as well. And Michelin is selling a reworked version of the LTX M/S2 with a winter compound as the LTX Winter. For a winter tire - is it more tread pattern(more sipes and edges), compound(softer compound or in Bridgestone's case, "multi-cell" technology) or both that dictate how well a tire can get through heavy snow and ice?

I've added back the quote I was responding to - because the question about what is a "highway" tire was directed towards Traction.

Ya see, in over-the-road truck tires, a highway tire doesn't have sipes. It's basically a ribbed tire. So I was wondering what he meant. Was he referencing those? Or was he - as you have pointed out - referencing what I would call an All Season tire.

Put another way, I don't think there are "highway" tires in Passenger and Light Truck tires, with the exception of Michelin's XPS. Tire Rack classifies these as "Highway Rib Summer". Hopefully it is clear that these terms are kind of vague and ill definied.

But to answer your question:
……. For a winter tire - is it more tread pattern(more sipes and edges), compound(softer compound or in Bridgestone's case, "multi-cell" technology) or both that dictate how well a tire can get through heavy snow and ice?

I think it is more tread pattern than anything else, but I admit, my experience with winter tires is limited.

I've added back the quote I was responding to - because the question about what is a "highway" tire was directed towards Traction.

Ya see, in over-the-road truck tires, a highway tire doesn't have sipes. It's basically a ribbed tire. So I was wondering what he meant. Was he referencing those? Or was he - as you have pointed out - referencing what I would call an All Season tire.

Put another way, I don't think there are "highway" tires in Passenger and Light Truck tires, with the exception of Michelin's XPS. Tire Rack classifies these as "Highway Rib Summer". Hopefully it is clear that these terms are kind of vague and ill definied.

But to answer your question:
……. For a winter tire - is it more tread pattern(more sipes and edges), compound(softer compound or in Bridgestone's case, "multi-cell" technology) or both that dictate how well a tire can get through heavy snow and ice?

I think it is more tread pattern than anything else, but I admit, my experience with winter tires is limited.

I was meaning "highway tire" as in all season SUV/truck tires. Like Cooper called their tires H/T, and A/T. Anyway, H/T (all-season) tires have more sipes for snow traction, but come nowhere close to a good winter tire. A/T, M/T tires I think are only better in dirt, which I always manage to avoid. With snow, you never know what you are going to have to deal with, which is my main concern in the winter, which is Traction.

Ok, that's why I see big rigs with mostly ribbed tires on the highway while cement mixers and garbage trucks use more aggressively treaded tires. And transit buses use a "mileage" tire that's more deeply grooved OTR tire. I see a lot of Goodyear Intercity Cruiser or Firestone City Transports, they look like a "traction" tire with a deeper ribbed tread to survive urban abuse.

Last edited:
Many transit bus tires are low-speed (55MPH) tires, with very thick sidewalls to hold up to curbs and similar abuse.

No, not necessarily. The Motomaster brand has been made by many different manufacturers.

I have the APL tires in the picture, used as trailer tires on my fifth wheel. They are made in the USA by Cooper. Most if not all their LT tires seem to be made by Cooper, and they seem to get good reviews.

To the OP, I would look at Cooper Discoverer AT3. They came on the truck I bought second had, and even though they appear close to the treadwear bars, they still have amazing traction in all conditions from dry pavement, to standing water, to light snow. I have not used them at all in true winter conditions so I can't comment on how they would do there.

I am strongly considering Cooper's next year spring/summer for my 13 Ram. I have used Cooper snows for quite a few years now and I am real happy with them with how they work and how they last. My Father purchased Cooper's for his car (Continentals, I believe?)this past summer and he says they are one of the nicest riding tires he has ever had. He is 79 so he has rode on a few.
These are my snowies currently on my Ram. Going on 5 yrs now and they are still wearing great.
cheers3.gif

Avalanche ext .JPG

Avalanche.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back