New condenser arrived dented, is it ok to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a dent on one of the pipes on my new condenser. Is it safe to use? Welds are good and there is no more damage on the condenser.

IMG_20181223_123536285.jpg

IMG_20181223_123550249.jpg

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Is that even a dent? Loos like how they produced it.

It's a dent. I couldn't get my camera to focus well.

I wouldn't be thrilled about using that-it's dented right on the outside radius of the bend, both causing a flow restriction and weakening the metal where it has already been bent. I would exchange it for another one.

I've seen that same thing on brand new AC lines before. I'd say it's factory. When rolled in mfg, the inner diameter bend increases in thickness and the outer one thins out. Bending such lines always "weakens" the outer area of the bend....even if just be thinning the outer wall diameter. But it still has to meet min wall specs. I inspected 800 psi boiler tubes for years....and saw the same thinning on tubes up to 1/4 inch thick.

I'd use it. Now if that really is a non-mfg dent from post production damage/impact, it took a lot of force to do that in such isolation. It should have put a heavy stress on the fitting/welds that goes into the condenser/tank. The tube bend directly above the one you mention also seems to have some flattening on the outer roll.

Last edited:
It looks like the manufacturer flattened it when it was bent and part of the design. Email them and ask and don't forget to attach your photo.

The issue I would have is-can it withstand the vibration/pulses of high side refrigerant coming from the compressor? I work with refrigeration, and I've never seen a factory bent tube that was dented like that on the outside, that's not normal.

It will be fine. More than likely you are not restricting the flow....the shape of the pipe changed due to the dent but the overall area probably did not. The metal doesn't look weakened to me.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I wouldn't be thrilled about using that-it's dented right on the outside radius of the bend, both causing a flow restriction and weakening the metal where it has already been bent. I would exchange it for another one.

I agree with this.

Scott

Originally Posted by Chris142
I have seen much worse work fine.

Same here.... far, far worse.

There isn't as much flow velocity in that area some seem to think there is.

As long as it doesn't leak, it will be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back