Recommendation for Headlight Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need advice on brightest headlight bulbs for 2005 Dodge Ram. It has factory reflector headlights. I live in deer country and more light down the road is better. Truck takes a 9007 bulb (high/low beam in one bulb). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Philips XtremeVisions would be my recommendation. Just be aware that overdriven bulbs have reduced service life. Make sure your headlights are aimed properly and aren't oxidized.

No oxidation. Headlamps crystal clear. Truck was always parked in a garage. Lamps aimed ok but stock bulbs really need improvement.

Been driving for 37 years and use high beams properly. Have owned this truck since it was new and has significantly less light output than our 2014 traverse and 2018 corolla. Just wondering if another 9007 bulb would help.

Last edited:
you can put the brightest 9007 bulb in the world, but it's down to the reflectors throwing the light. If it's not that good to begin with, not much you can do to make it significantly better

Philips Xtreme Vision or GE Nighthawk Platinum (part number 9007NHP).

While GE offers a Nighthawk Xenon (9007NHX), and it is the best-performing 9007, it will have a very short lifespan

Originally Posted by robd
Been driving for 37 years and use high beams properly. Have owned this truck since it was new and has significantly less light output than our 2014 traverse and 2018 corolla. Just wondering if another 9007 bulb would help.

It couldn't hurt since bulbs lose intensity over time. Just don't waste $ on those fancy bulbs.

Might be worth checking the voltage at the bulbs while they're on, might be a candidate for a wiring upgrade to ensure you're getting full power at the bulbs.

Seems as though headlight technology has come a long way since 2005. The philips Xtreme vision seems like a good bulb. I don't like the blue coatings of the expensive lights, seems like it would just filter out more useful light. A lot of the reviews on Amazon seem 50/50 if most of the high cost bulbs actually are better. The 9007 bulb is a dual filament bulb with high and low beams. I wouldn't mind changing them out often if they actually were more beneficial. Any deer avoided in rural Pa will more than pay for the lamps. In my daily 30 minutes of driving to work in the dark I almost always see at least four or more deer in the fields near the road just waiting for the most opportune time to cross in front of the next unlucky driver. The leds look nice but are they legal? Only reason I'm asking is in Pa we have a state inspection and don't want a problem and also don't want to blind anyone. Don't know voltage drop at bulbs may look into that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Originally Posted by robd

It couldn't hurt since bulbs lose intensity over time. Just don't waste $ on those fancy bulbs.

^ This

I'm not sure about the 2005 model year, but at least the 2002 and earlier Dodge Ram trucks don't use relays in the headlight circuits, so all current flows through the headlight switch. The reason this is important to know is that some of those awesome aftermarket bulbs pull more current than the OEM style bulbs, and if you use them your headlight switch can fail. Never use any headlight bulb with a wattage rating higher than the OEM bulbs.

In your situation I would be looking at adding additional lighting rather than trying to coax more out of the stock headlights.

As stated, the brighter plug in bulbs, typically don't last as long as the standard replacement bulbs. And really, all they have is a brighter(whiter/bluer) lighting pattern. They don't shine down the road as far as they're advertised.[Key words, "as-far-as they're advertised].

"Further down" the road is mostly(if not all) dependent on headlight AIM. Even if the headlight housing are aimed properly to spec, you may want to tweak'em upward just a "bit". A little "bit", is a "lot" down the road.

If you still aren't satisfied with the lighting pattern, only then get the so called "brighter" bulbs. In my own experience, I have found that 100% of the time, it's the AIM, even if the aim is to spec. It was the spec that I didn't like. And I don't get flashed by oncoming driver when I tweak the headlights upward a "BIT"...not a lot, just a bit!

I'm well into my 60s with aging eyes and I don't particularly like driving at night, in foul weather etc...nobody does, I get it! And when my vehicle's headlights are properly aimed, I am very satisfied with the standard halogen bulbs/replacement bulbs and I can see fine down a completely DARK road in deer country.

Last edited:
In addition, here is a recent thread that is talking about the same thing, along with a linked Consumer Reports segment(coincidently from yesterday) that just happened to mention what is being discussed here.

Also, CR(along with other .orgs/.coms) do in fact test headlights & bulb types extensively & thoroughly, way better than we can and on their own dime.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...adlight-bulbs-of-2006-sentra#Post4958223

Even ERIC THE CAR GUY did a very good headlight test in which you can find on his channel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
OEM bulbs and learn how to use your high beams properly.

Unfortunately, many vehicles have terrible headlights. A few years back, we could walk into the auto parts store, purchase a 7 inch GE halogen and get known and acceptable performance. Today, every vehicle is different, there are even major differences among specific models, with ratings from poor to excellent on the very same model, depending on trim.

My 2011 F150 has utterly useless high beams. My 2009 F150, with the very same setup, does not. Both have similar low beams. My Jag has halogen projector lows, ya can't see 20 feet with them. The H1 bulb has a 2 inch internal reflector and a cutoff shield that blocks the majority of the reflected light. Leading to a low beam that fails to meet real world needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back