2nd oil change, now or stretch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BITOG,

I bought a brand new 2018 Mazda 3 with a 2.5 engine. I did my first OC at 5k. Put in Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 with a Fram Ultra. I'm now at 10K miles, 5k on oil. Due to wear metals and still some break in, should I change the second time at 5k or is 7-10k safe already?

Only a UOA will tell you. Take a sample and get it analyzed. My guess is it'll be good for another 5K, but it's only a guess. We do not know what fuel dilution and combustion chemistry are doing. Test and know
smile.gif

What is your driving routine? City or highway? Short trips?

5k is a good number for short trips and lots of city driving. If you are mostly highway then 7.5k will work. I wouldn't go past that without an analysis including fuel dilution.

I drive 50/50 city/highway. I would be curious how the oil is now, but for the price of an analysis, I could change it. It's winter though. I don't want to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Matagonka
I drive 50/50 city/highway. I would be curious how the oil is now, but for the price of an analysis, I could change it. It's winter though. I don't want to.

How long ( time and mileage) is your average trip length. At 8 mile trips my skyactiv 2.5 had a lot of fuel dilution. UOA was fine for metals.

To go longer than 5k i'd want 15-20 mile average trip lengths.

I don't think it makes much of a difference but I did 5k, 5k, 8k, 10k, 10k.... in my Camry.

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Only a UOA will tell you. Take a sample and get it analyzed. My guess is it'll be good for another 5K, but it's only a guess. We do not know what fuel dilution and combustion chemistry are doing. Test and know
smile.gif

This. Spend a little bit of time making sure you're doing it right.

Answer to original question: maybe

Fuel dilution is the only real concern with these engines. I use the cheapest 5w-30 Dino oil in my 2.5L and let it run for 7500 miles or 6 months (it's been 6 months lately, and around 5-6k miles). Oil level has been constant: burning oil lowers the level and fuel dilution raises it.

Second oil change at 10K miles, I'd do it. I'm pretty sure it is still shedding break in metals, along with possible fuel dilution, I'd want that out. And winter just started, if the weather is good, it would make my decision even easier.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Second oil change at 10K miles, I'd do it. I'm pretty sure it is still shedding break in metals, along with possible fuel dilution, I'd want that out. And winter just started, if the weather is good, it would make my decision even easier.

+1
And forget the UOA

Originally Posted by Zee09
Originally Posted by demarpaint

+1
And forget the UOA

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by NO2
Within the warranty period I would follow Mazda's recommendation.

This.

oil is cheap engines are $$$$ keep records + use spec oils to insure warranty protection if you DIY it, after that its your $$$$. cat warranty is looong + requires spec oil as well if you care!!

It's only a couple of oil changes. I'll probably let the dealer do it until it out of warranty.

Originally Posted by benjy
oil is cheap engines are $$$$ keep records + use spec oils to insure warranty protection if you DIY it, after that its your $$$$. cat warranty is looong + requires spec oil as well if you care!!

Stick with 5K oil changes and don't bother with the rest of the mumbo jumbo.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back