Observation of Mechanics and their tools...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ToadU
I even ask mechanics when I interview them to tell me about their tools. I just pass on the guys w the fancy boxes and set-ups.

Almost every mechanic is a drunk, druggie, smoker or all of the above.

Wow, weird. You discriminate against high-earning / creditworthy / successful technicians (the ones with the Snap-on gear). Then you complain that your employees are bad...

Employer treats his employees as disposable and not a true part of his team that earns him the profits. Then is surprised he gets garbage for employees. Cycle repeats.

I read what I read from the owner, and if I knew that before applying to work at such a place, I'd bail before I even applied. Arbitrary hiring decisions based on what school you went to? Not following some arbitrary code of being 15 minutes early for everything (what a waste of time by the way). If my tools are too nice, I'm a druggie, deadbeat, etc... Sounds like a place to steer well clear of - regardless of how hard I work, I'm not going to earn any respect from the owner, so why bother.

Some employers will never get it and wonder why they cycle through employees like they are candy...

I just went to visit one of the worst bosses I've worked for...but consider him a friend. He's very demanding, and it's all one sided, maximum input for little reward. He's given up finding mechanics, he just can't find anyone willing to work for him. I did, and would again...because I turned up on time everyday, did whatever needed to be done, thought outside the box, never gave up, did what he told me to, and was always willing to learn. Terrible boss, excellent mechanic.

Funny how I also run a repair business in Florida, and don't have this issue. It's not that bad or addicted mechanics are not out there, but one must stage their business to not be a magnet for those types. Emploera have a reputation as well as employees. I'm not exactly struggling to imagine what yours is among mechanics. All the good ones probably stay away, or get turned away by you for not "looking the part".

Your attitude is exactly the type of business that is a huge magnet for the dregs of the industry. You turn away people for having a fancy box? Great. My 4 best mechanics would never be able to work for you. They have pride in every aspect of their work, and their tools and box reflect it. Spotless box, spotless tools, and spotless results.

You are correct that money doesn't improve a bad worker, but better money can definitely attract better workers. Mediocre pay is the best repellant for exceptional workers and work.

But ultimately, you are the business owner. You know as well as anyone that the quality of your work and your workers is 100% your fault. If you really feel mechanics are that bad, GTFO of the business. Every day that you don't, the only person responsible for your results is yourself. End of story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
You could be the .1 percent. I did say almost. And it's almost always true.
If You pay peanuts and you will get Monkeys.

Money is a horrible motivator. Someone without work ethic or integrity won't suddenly find it because you pay them more. Pay more and you still get crappy work you just pay more for it. I've been in the industry a long time.

Most employees steal and try to screw their employer. The questions isn't if they are stealing it's how much. As an owner many things that are stealing an employee doesn't even understand is stealing. That smoke break on my time. Stealing. Ect.

Horse number2 ^^^^^^

Let me tell ya something....

The best in my field.... Get paid very well... And yes money is a motivator... And yes more often than not more $$$ does equal better people. And better care.... To say that doesn't matter is like saying the sky is purple.

But $$$ is not the only thing that matters... How they are treated and talked to... And if they are respected... Matters a whole lot to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by CT8
You could be the .1 percent. I did say almost. And it's almost always true.
If You pay peanuts and you will get Monkeys.

Money is a horrible motivator. Someone without work ethic or integrity won't suddenly find it because you pay them more. Pay more and you still get crappy work you just pay more for it. I've been in the industry a long time.

Most employees steal and try to screw their employer. The questions isn't if they are stealing it's how much. As an owner many things that are stealing an employee doesn't even understand is stealing. That smoke break on my time. Stealing. Ect.

Horse number2 ^^^^^^

Let me tell ya something....

The best in my field.... Get paid very well... And yes money is a motivator... And yes more often than not more $$$ does equal better people. And better care.... To say that doesn't matter is like saying the sky is purple.

But $$$ is not the only thing that matters... How they are treated and talked to... And if they are respected... Matters a whole lot to.

Well said! A good screening of people before hiring them helps too, not just a chat. I've hired and paid a person for a day to see if they're as good as they claim to be, and if the chemistry between the two of us worked, before making the full commitment. I found that extremely helpful for the both of us. Potential employees liked it too. I found the best people know what they're worth, and trying to low ball them doesn't work. I treat everyone that worked for me with respect, the same kind of respect I would want. I found that combined with the right pay worked very well over the past 40+ years for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Your attitude is exactly the type of business that is a huge magnet for the dregs of the industry. You turn away people for having a fancy box? Great. My 4 best mechanics would never be able to work for you. They have pride in every aspect of their work, and their tools and box reflect it. Spotless box, spotless tools, and spotless results.

You are correct that money doesn't improve a bad worker, but better money can definitely attract better workers. Mediocre pay is the best repellant for exceptional workers and work.

thumbsup2.gif
Great post.

I know a host of excellent mechanics, I believe all of them have excellent tools, work ethic and tool boxes. My best friend is an amazing heavy diesel mechanic and has, in the course of doing better for himself, worked for the same three outfits three different times. Each time, the one he left for another due to better benefits and a higher wage, later comes after him with an even better offer because they appreciate his incredible value. He recently got a promotion to shop foreman at one of these locations and so this may be "it" for the cycle. He makes very good money, gets a company vehicle...etc.

I know a couple of amazing mechanics who left one dealer for another dealer (Mercedes) because the money was better. Two lads that worked at Ford quit when ownership changed and the new management started treating them like the OP. One opened his own shop and is doing extremely well, the other went and got retrained and now works as a Nuclear tech at Bruce making WAY more than he ever did wrenching on F-350's. I know several others who quit to go work for another former mechanic that became Service Manager because of their history with him and the work environment he creates (polar opposite of the OP).

Your employees are a reflection of you and your business. If you treat everybody like crap, you are going to be surrounded by it.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
If you treat everybody like crap, you are going to be surrounded by it.

The Soviet Union Story

Techs are expensive. Send me the cheap shade tree mechanic that will spend time modifying tools to get the job done instead of already having the right tools for the job to begin with. After all, time is money. If you spend your money on some sort of drug habit instead of the right tools and would rather waste time modifying tools to complete a job, you're the type of guy I want to hire.

Last edited:
Nice thread, funny how when some can handle the truth they want the thread closed.
I like some have been with tools in hand since maybe 5 or so, and have served as machinist, mechanic, and some other occupations for life. I agree with the op about the fancy tool boxers, its similar to people that have to always show off with fancy cars or pickups. There are two types of people in shops, talkers and doer's.
The look at me types are the talkers, and usually think very highly of themselves and believe they are gods gift to the craft they are in. They are usually someone that has gone to a school to learn the trade, not someone who is for lack of better terms is born for the trade, not many of that type around.
Snap on tools are over rated, some are made in china, as well as the expensive car priced rollaways, snap on is also way over priced and sometimes not even warrantied as well as lesser brands. So like alot of things now they are just not what they used to be. One thing that can be okay about snap on is some of the special tools and more hard to come by tools, but it will cost ya.
I really got a kick out of the cig stuff and the constant breaks etc. Not fair to us nonsmokers.
Now for the other side of the coin. I have worked for and with alot of crap heads in my day, I even have been set up by jealous fellow workers to fail.
The thing I have discovered that makes any job desirable to stay at is ownership of the job, and freedom, the freedom part you will likely never find in automotive repair, because that means being able to take time off when needed or start or stop when you desire to. That is something that is worth more than having more on a paycheck and something that outfits will someday have to adopt to hold on to employees, yeah I know all the excuses for not allowing it. The thing I hate most is the fascination with day shift, since a mechanic spends time in a well lit shop and uses lights under the hood or the vehicle there is no need to be forced
to spend many hours a day of your free time in traffic to go or come home from work, as well as all the lost rest in between during the week. And is likely why
the quality of repair work is so questionable. I found it funny how the op said the tech doesn't share the responsibility, in all cases the tech does, his job hinges on it. And if someone has to spend the same cash that he would if he bought say a back hoe, a machine that would command over $60 / hour, how come his outlay for tools aren't compensated for? I forsee that in the future all auto shops will have to supply the hand tools, especially since they are so out of reason
and a major cost for someone that ends up not making enough to pay for them, I'm talking a non smoker type that has to afford rent. Its been a fun rant.

When I was a kid my father brought in this homeless looking guy to rebuild a truck engine. He looked and smelled like crap, carried all his tools in the trunk of a beat up car. He also knew every part number and torque value for that engine by memory. Worked with a speed and precision that astonished me.

In my opinion, he was of more value to society than any lawyer or politician.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back