Shortened Oil Change Interval after using an Engine Flush product?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Nissan Rogue - 110K miles.

In June 2018 at 107K, I added a bottle of Amsoil Engine Flush and idled the car for 20 min. Afterwards an oil and filter change was performed using Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 and a Mobil 1 oil filter.

The original plan was to run the oil for one-year or 10K but I am wondering if a shorter oil change should be considered since an engine flush was performed. As we all know, only about 80-90% of the oil is removed when an oil change is performed.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I would do it to train the owner that they need to come in more often. Someone who causes sludge has bad habits that need breaking.

I think more reasonable process would be - a) add Engine Flush, run at idle and change oil and filter with a good filter and good but cheaper oil; b) change oil and filter after 1-2K km or miles (or less) with oil and filter that you normally use.

IIRC the Amsoil product is used to flush out the remaining oil after a change before switching to Amsoil and is not a harsh flush. If it lossened anything I'm sure the filter has caught it and I would continue with your orginal plan.

Amsoil on their site says that the flush is safe enough to use with every oil change.

It's just a lot of detergents as they claim and no solvents so with 20% of the oil remaining and it being diluted in this oil, I wouldn't worry at all.

Last edited:
I will tell you a story. It's related, but not exactly the same situation, however;

After I got my 290k plus Ford Freestyle on the road, (I bought it broken super cheap and fixed it) I ran a bottle of Gumout One ‘N Done through the a tank of fuel and had Idemitsu 5w-20 with a cheap filter on it. I knew I would dump the oil early and cut the filter to see what's going on with this car. When I cut the filter open, there was an inordinate amount of carbon in the filter. It was a very surprising amount to me. I was glad that I went ahead and dumped it early.

The next oil and filter was Pennzoil Platinum 0w-40, and an orange can. Also planning to cut the filter early to see if it's still loading the filter with carbon, I had 7 quarts on hand. So I filled it with 6 quarts, (capacity), Drive a tank of gas through it and cut the orange can open. Very tiny amount of carbon in this filter, so I topped the oil up and spun on one of my nice fancy Ford Racing FL-820S filters to finish out the OCI. Plan on running 5k like normal.

The moral of the story is if you have any doubts, it doesn't cost much to cut the filter open to check to see if you're loading it up by using some type of flush or cleaning agent, fuel additive or otherwise. I will say that I believe in the power of PEA fuel system cleaners, it was pretty amazing to see all the carbon knocked loose and caught in the filter. After all of this happened, I also pulled the intake off to put plugs and coils in it (it had an intermittent cylinder 1 misfire), and the intake valves and runners were amazingly clean. Maybe cut this filter open early and inspect it. You may be surprised what you find.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by harry j
Personally I would do a short oil change and consider the present one a flush.

Me too.

It's better to be safe than sorry and cut open the filter after around 4k to 5k and note how dark the oil is. If you find a lot of crud in the filter or the oil is very dark, change the oil sooner than at 10k or 1 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back