Mystik JT8 15w50 - 14 Road King 103 H/O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, don't get all wound up over this. You started a good thread, I really like this oil as well. Buying any manufacturers product that has their label on it typically involves paying more than you need to. That's all I'm saying, if you don't see that way, no worries.

The Harley filter is a 5 micron filter when the 103 came out. They changed the oil pump to where it maintains more steady oil pressure. Mine doesn't go over 30# even when cold and doesn't go below 18-19# when idling. They wanted the 5 micron for the 5k oci.

Someone did a voa on the HD Formula + and it was a 50w oil. I use that Redline MTL in my trans on my last 2 bikes and it shifts like butter.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Someone did a voa on the HD Formula + and it was a 50w oil. I use that Redline MTL in my trans on my last 2 bikes and it shifts like butter.

Yes, its been a long time ago but I remember the VOA on the Forumla+. One thing I am not sure of if it is a straight weight or not and I guess no one will ever know either,
HD forumula+ works great for me and why I stick with it, no reason to switch and of course, like any manual transmission I could just use plain syn old motor oil since Harley does have one for that too..

Some people in here think I get "wound up" over things, just discussing, some dont like to hear what I say though or read my words wrong.
Bottom line (and correct me if I am wrong) at roughly $9 a quart I dont think the Harley Manual Transmission oil is any more costly then other branded specific manual transmission oil and even if it was more expensive, so what, does anyone know ANY product from ANY vehicle manufacturer who isnt?

Im loyal to no product if it fails me but some people just love to trash Harley Davidson for no valid reasons what so ever. Since 2014 brand new, my Road King has not needed a repair.

Last edited:
My 14 Ultra has been trouble free also. Just the 2 hydralic clutch recalls. I recently changed all the fluids, got new tires and changed the spark plugs. The plugs didn't look that great after 11k miles. Surprised because I use mostly Costco Premium gas. That Redline MTL is $20 a qt. My Indy mechanic says to definitely use the 5 micron filter.

Am I understanding Harley Formula + is a 50w oil, whether straight or multi-grade? The analysis below shows it doesn't have a lot of additives. Can't say it's good or bad, but couldn't a tranny benefit from the same ad-pack properties as an engine, per se? For instance, zinc and phosphorus?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=926039#Post926039

Looking at this analysis, can this fluid provide the same or better lubrication qualities as an oil with a more robust additive pack in an oil of the same weight like used for shared sump engines? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bonz
Am I understanding Harley Formula + is a 50w oil, whether straight or multi-grade? The analysis below shows it doesn't have a lot of additives. Can't say it's good or bad, but couldn't a tranny benefit from the same ad-pack properties as an engine, per se? For instance, zinc and phosphorus?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=926039#Post926039

Looking at this analysis, can this fluid provide the same or better lubrication qualities as an oil with a more robust additive pack in an oil of the same weight like used for shared sump engines? Thoughts?

I would guess the Formula+ provides better protection.
I do understand what you are saying but just because we (including me) look for lots of additives in oils (and an EXTREMELY) little amount of additives are actually tested for.

But to me, here is the clincher, the anti wear additive is the oil its self. All the other stuff is to make up for shortcomings of the lubrication system ect.

So for the transmission, the gears are already bathed in oil so no dry running parts waiting for oil pressure, there is no combustion so no need for detergents, and well, stuff like that.
Anyway, to me, the formula of an oil in this case is specific to its needs.

We in this forum are so hung up on additives and I keep pointing out this same old thing in regards to Shell 20w50 piston aircraft engine oil. The Shell oil contains no additives as we test for, no zinc, no moly ect.

I've done some more reading on transmission lubricants. You are hitting the nail on the head. It seems that most of the additives we look for in an engine oil do not need to be in transmission oil simply because it is not dealing with the combustion process and extremes in heat that cause the need for zinc, phosphorus as "last resort" barriers to wear and for other additives to help clean and carry away by-products of combustion.

Extra additives will probably do no harm, but are not needed for protection in the transmission case.

Agree, the extra additives wont do harm with one small possible catch, and again, Im not really hung up on using any specific lubricant in my transmission, that is why I just go with the flow on the Formula+, tested tried and true.
At the same time, like previous posts, it doesnt mean for fun I might throw something else in there.

Ok, back to the possible catch. Not spoken of in this forum much, if at all are the antifoam properties of oils for motorcycles.
Being I am using a specific transmission formula I know any foaming concerns are taken care of.
But some oils do foam more easily then others and I believe they are tested for this, or something like that. Sometimes I wonder if less additives more resistance to foaming? I have no clue and honestly dont think to much about the reasons, all I know, all oils cost pennies to produce, with a lot of additives or a little so I think they know more then me. :eek:)

Who knows? maybe the oils with less additives have a higher film strength that far exceeds the protection of more additives. Like pasta, so many ways to cook it. :eek:)
What if the oils with more additives are making up for cheaper oils or refining process that doesnt produce high film protection?

Some metric bikes with the glass windows instead of a dipstick, this can be seen with certain oils, foaming, whether or not it matters, most likely not too much but for us in this forum it may as we are always looking for the Holy Grail. .

Hope this makes sense ... still waking up ...

Last edited:
All of the bikes I have owned or do own with the site glass for checking the oil, I haven't seen foam in the window. However I ride the last bit to the house at slow speed's. I would think the 50 wt nature of tranny oil would cut down on foaming in and of it's self, but not sure.

Originally Posted by Bonz
All of the bikes I have owned or do own with the site glass for checking the oil, I haven't seen foam in the window. However I ride the last bit to the house at slow speed's. I would think the 50 wt nature of tranny oil would cut down on foaming in and of it's self, but not sure.

Most havent seen foam because most oils and almost all motorcycle oils are formulated not to foam. But there are some, also a decade ago Amsoil showed test results with resistance to foaming, I have seen it in the metric forums at times, it could also be due to overfilling I would think.

Back to the Tranny specific fluid, I feel better using specific fluids spec'd by the manufacturer and why my first choice using a specific use oil in the tranny vs motoroil, even though motor oil is fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back