best mower deck undercoating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over 100 hours and I decided it time to take the deck off the mower and do some undercoating treatment for the first time. What is a good recommendation for a undercoating to prevent further rusting?

May I suggest a harder coating such as bed liner coating. No personal experience with this on a lawn mower, however, I coated my steel ramps with it and it is very abrasion resistant. Just make sure the underside is clean and free of any grease or oil. I think you are on to a good idea.
smile.gif

Hi , Use " corrosion free "in a spray can. It is a great Canadian anti corrosion product. I have applied it to my two cars for the last 15 years and it works great. I would rate it as nu 1.

You can spray something like paint to keep it from rusting over the winter when not in use. But there is no coating or paint that holds up to use. I've tried almost all of them. I had the most hope for a graphite type paint but it did not stay on either.

Best thing is to just clean the clumps of grass out regularly and not mow when its wet.

If the mower deck is unused in new clean condition, I like the bed liner coating that Snagglefoot mentioned.
Otherwise, if the mower has been used and you're just cleaning it, I use old motor oil after I clean the deck and just SLOP on the oil with an old paint brush.

Last edited:
I just bought my 'first' riding mower.
After 1 year / 20 hours of use, the underside of deck needed a good cleaning.
I had one area of rust 3 sq. inch near the chute which I then scrapped and coated with tar (black-top).
For me, removing the deck will be a yearly ritual.

There have been other posts on here about preventing the rust in the first place.
1) Don't cut grass when wet
2) I am going to RAISE the deck when I'm done so air can circulate better and dry any wet grass

Originally Posted by spasm3
You can spray something like paint to keep it from rusting over the winter when not in use. But there is no coating or paint that holds up to use. I've tried almost all of them. I had the most hope for a graphite type paint but it did not stay on either.

Best thing is to just clean the clumps of grass out regularly and not mow when its wet.

That's what I did to my new Honda. Always washed underneath and sprayed WD-40 or Silicon spray. Not one spec of rust. It's like brand new.
A coat of oil before storage is also a good idea. Thick no-drip products like Corrosion Free or Fluid Film may be good for storage time but not
during the season.

I've been using Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector on the deck of my mower for a several years and it has so far worked well. There is also a product called Fluid Film which would work about the same as the Amsoil metal protector.

17 years John Deere lx277. I have never heard of a rusting deck on a mower. What are you cutting with your mower?

If you do have a need for "protection" of your deck, just paint it with asphault sealer. Glop it on.

Originally Posted by Kode
17 years John Deere lx277. I have never heard of a rusting deck on a mower. What are you cutting with your mower?

If you do have a need for "protection" of your deck, just paint it with asphault sealer. Glop it on.

Yep. 15 years on a 42" Craftsman in Michigan. Some surface rust patina, but no where near rusting through. Solid as a rock. No coating. I just clean it every spring.

I make sure I mow through a pile of dry leaves which scrubs the under side clean, use a leaf blower to clean the topside without any water. Have been doing this on a 1973 Bolens and a 1984 Craftsman for many years now.. Decks are still solid. no undercoating was ever applied.

Last edited:
I been mostly sticking to mowing dry grass, but a few times, I can't alway wait for it to dry. As of now, my deck has only a few rust spots, but no where close in being shot. I just pressure washed it today, and now letting it dry. My next plan is to wire brush it. It seems there was plenty of oil based coating. Doesn't dirt stick to oil?

Originally Posted by NH73
I been mostly sticking to mowing dry grass, but a few times, I can't alway wait for it to dry. As of now, my deck has only a few rust spots, but no where close in being shot. I just pressure washed it today, and now letting it dry. My next plan is to wire brush it. It seems there was plenty of oil based coating. Doesn't dirt stick to oil?

Oil will attract everything and is not the answer.

Originally Posted by 46Harry
I've been using Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector on the deck of my mower for a several years and it has so far worked well. There is also a product called Fluid Film which would work about the same as the Amsoil metal protector.
Do you think Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector works better than Fluid Film?

Best to just clean under the deck every few uses. Of course, I don't usually do this though. That spray by Arnold that 97prism mentioned is likely worth a shot. I've been pleased with their products such as the clamp that keeps your blade from moving when putting it on or taking it off.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid

There have been other posts on here about preventing the rust in the first place.
1) Don't cut grass when wet
2) I am going to RAISE the deck when I'm done so air can circulate better and dry any wet grass

This past summer, it was cut the grass wet, sometimes while raining, or not at all.

But I'm with you, normally I would be able to just wait a day or two and try again. But especially on 2, besides letting the deck clear itself before shutting down, I take the leaf blower to it and blow it as clean and dry as possible. Yes there's still grass stuck to the bottom (especially this past wet year), but much less than if I didn't blow it out.

I just have push mowers. So once I'm done mowing, I turn it on it's side and hose everything off. After that, I fire the mower up, turn off the fuel shut off valve, and let the mower run until it runs out of fuel. That way the blade helps dry the underside of the deck before putting it back in the garage.

L8R,
Matt

I took my mower apart down to the bare deck.
Cleaned it up with soap and a brush.
Bought a can of Flex Seal and sprayed the underside.
After each mowing I spray the bottom and run it.
It has been two years and still looks great.
YMMV
And bed liner would be good also.

For over 10 years now I have followed this regimen. I run a new mower for a year with no coating. Then, during the winter, a good cleaning and scuff off any residual rust. Then 3 coats of truck bedliner. You'll never have to touch it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back