Tighten Serpentine Belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Chevrolet Impala 3.5 V6 that I just replaced the water pump. In the process when I put the belt back into position it is now looser than what it should be so my question is what is the process to tighten the belt. Is it by tightening the 13 mm bolt on the tensioner pulley? Not a mechanic so what might be simple for some is not obvious to me.

I will do another check in the morning to make sure as I would not rule that possibility out.

Sometimes the spring loaded tensioners "take a set" and don't survive having a belt removed and replaced.

How did you get the belt off the tensioner in the first place?

Typically you can thread it around "all but one" pulley and have your fingers on the belt to stretch it over the last accessory while simultaneously working a tool on the tensioner with the other hand.

Tensioiners often have a 3/8" square you can put a ratchet head on but the pulley bolt might work if it has a clockwise rotation into the spring.

I loosened the 13 mm bolt then fitted a Harbor Freight belt tool into the 3/8 square and pulled it toward the front engine which allowed me slip the belt off the pulley however it came off at another location also so I had a little issue getting it back on. I thought I might have loosened the bolt holding the tensioner in place to much. I am just a little confused by this and do not want to create a much bigger problem . The belt squeals right at start up and it just has to much give when I press down on it.

Thanks Guys I will go back in the morning and follow the belt routing diagram shown in my Chilton manual.

When I did some preventive maintance on our 2006 Lacrosse 3.8l V-6 , could not find a belt routing diagram under the hood .

Had a difficult time finding the correct diagram on the internet . Do it wrong & it was either too loose or too tight to go on . And the tensioner has one heck of a strong spring !

I agree , no need to loosen a bolt .

Best of luck to you . Merry Christmas ! :)

"Work" the tensioner a few times to get past a rusty/ rough spot in its travels. And if this doesn't do it, you need a new one.

If you have the groovy side of the belt on the groovy accessories and smooth on smooth, you're 98% likely to have it routed right.

If the belt is routed properly since you loosened the tensioner pulley it may be that the tensioner is no longer aligned correctly. There should be a nub on the back of the tensioner that is used to ,make sure installed in the correct position and aligned correctly.

In addition to your Chiltons THIS may be helpful for identifying parts and other info for this car.

This is also helpful.

https://www.freeautomechanic.com/images/belt-routing-guide.pdf

07 Impala.jpg

Thanks Trav as that was very helpful and thanks to all who provided advice on this post as it is a major part of my education for learning to do work on my personal vehicle. The belt was actually routed correctly, but as I stated when replacing the water pump I had taken out the bolt on the tensioner. I noticed from pictures and diagrams on the internet that my tensioner seemed to be misaligned just slightly. I loosened the bolt again and used the Harbor Freight tensioner bar to align it better and pushed the bar back towards the windshield which tightened the belt up. I held it there and tightened the bolt back into the tensioner and with that it tightened right up and no more squeal when I start it up. Thanks again and Merry Christmas everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back