Observation of Mechanics and their tools...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen amazing technicians with Snapon or Craftsman boxes and vice versa. I have a really nice MATCO one that I bought on my own. Toolboxes have wheels for a reason.

Last edited:
Wow. Toad is very jaded. Your business is only as good as your people.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Wow. Toad is very jaded. Your business is only as good as your people.

The service manager at my work is more of the old school type, but I do have to say he is extremely fair with both the customers and his employees. Assuming everything was done correctly he will go to bat to the end for one of his technicians. Of course the pay structure is completely different in California since if you supply your own tools you have to be pain a minimum of double minimum wage per clocked in hour.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I guess I should start drinking and going drugs since we all do that.

To be fair, he did say allmost. However, I've always been able to find a shop with great people in every place I've lived. These guys are not usually community leaders in the normal sense but lead by example. They're usually family guys just trying to make a living.

Originally Posted by Trav
What a bunch of crap.

+1, thread should be closed since it's a waste of bandwidth. Mods may have not seen this since none have posted in thread. But they will see it soon.

Originally Posted by ToadU
Almost 25 years owning a full service high volume repair shop and towing company has taught me

I suggest you publicly post the name and address of your shop. I would like some members of this group to visit your shop in person and report back here exactly what they think of your shop and you.
I suspect their report of your shop might be slightly different than how you think of it. Just sayin'.

Appearances are never a good indicator of a skilled and competent mechanic, IME. It's all in what they can do.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by Trav
What a bunch of crap.

+1, thread should be closed since it's a waste of bandwidth. Mods may have not seen this since none have posted in thread. But they will see it soon.

+2

Originally Posted by Kruse
Almost 25 years owning a full service high volume repair shop and towing company has taught me

I suggest you publicly post the name and address of your shop. I would like some members of this group to visit your shop in person and report back here exactly what they think of your shop and you.
I suspect their report of your shop might be slightly different than how you think of it. Just sayin'.

I've been in business for almost 25 years and between my towing company, auto repair / tire service and a used car dealership I own have over 100 employees. I don't care what people here think of me. My guests and customers have rated my company well online...google reviews, yelp ect.. Compared to the industry and competition my business is rated above average.

I'm considered a respectable member of my community and active politically, in the arts and charitable organizations.

All that really matters is guests and customers frequent my business and are statisfied with the services I provide. Is everyone happy. Nope. My main focus is on customer and guest service. That's why I'm in the service business. I have shared the reality of what it takes to operate and maintain an operation at scale.

That's business. It's not always pretty. I'm proud of the work my company performs, our service and our products. I also have the only 24hr heavy tire roadside service crews in a 50-60 mile radius.

My towing company has received many national awards from Allstate and other road service providers and the towing / service industry.

I'm not going to post my name or business because I'm not going to put myself in a position for some wing nut or disgruntled person to actively try and harm my business because they didn't like what I posted in a public forum and on a thread I started. I think that's fair.

Some folks here think I actually put little "chill'ren" on school busses and law enforcement officers in danger because my shop uses bulk oils, fluids and filters—all that meet proper specs. Truly I was told on another post I'm endangering the safety and lives of drivers because my shop uses currently Mag1 and Chevron lubricants in bulk and not boutique oils. Same for Fram orange cans and jobber filters. Crazy stuff. I've never heard such folly. Show me a study or any proof a bulk DOT approved brake fluid of proper spec installed in a vehicle and changed at OEM spec intervals has any effect on braking as compared to Red Line or Mobil1 or Petosin or whatever. It doesn't and no one can. If it wasn't safe it wouldn't meet the DOT spec.

::>>I don't disagree on your assessment but "discriminating on a toolbox" is not illegal in most states and not at the Federal level. There are only a handful of things that are illegal to discriminate on (sex, race, gender (including LGBTQwhatever, and I think one or 2 more). You can be fired or not hired for numerous "stupid" reasons all of which are perfectly legal.
It's not illegal to not hire someone for a variety of reasons as this person points out. Thank you.

I have many quirks and reasons I don't hire people. I do a lot of the hiring myself but do have a VP of operations and store manager, service manager and other managers for each division of my company and complete infrastructure that handles the day to to day. That's how I have time to be on here haha.

Some other things that won't get you hired by me...and it's my right bc it's my company and maybe it's crazy but It's my prerogative...... For office / professional positions no one with a degree from Florida State, University of Georgia or University of Alabama. I graduated from the University of Florida. My prerogative. Ohio State is questionable. A resume without a cover letter, poorly written, typos or on cheap paper. (Depends what the position pays and the level of education required). Shoes not shined. A tie not properly tied (again depends on the level of the position)

For any position I pass if any of the following apply: late to an interview and I define late as arriving anytime after @ 15 mins before the stated appointment. That's a company policy too. Whatever is on an employees schedule or is told to them by a manger on time means being 15 mins prior to stated time. It's in my policy handbook. Coming to an interview dressed poorly or dirty. I don't care how much money you have but looking like a bum or being dirty is no excuse just because you are blue collar or even poor.

Late during your training or probationary period. Buh Bye. Keep your assigned tow or service truck dirty. Nope.

You might thing my ways are crazy but they work for me. Can't argue with success.

I never discriminate for race, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, pregnancy or anything else per Federal laws. I am happy to use whatever personal pronoun you prefer. I have a salesperson that is gender fluid and They does a fanasric job with very high customer satisfaction.

Florida is a "Right to Work" State. Employment is at will. I can make decisions for any reasons not withstanding Federal discrimination laws.

Last edited:
I stared this thread to point out all show and no go "mechanics" are a problem in the industry.

Former ASE Master Tech, former business owner, current overseer of 'mechanics' in a professional racing setting.

I've learned not to judge a book by it's cover. The most important factors to me are if they SHOW UP (the biggest factor) without a constant list of excuses, know what they are doing, and actually do the job. Diplomas from various institutions rarely are a factor to me.

But everyone has their methods. If yours work for you, so be it.

Originally Posted by Kruse

I've been in business for almost 25 years and between my towing company, auto repair / tire service and a used car dealership I own have over 100 employees. I don't care what people here think of me. My guests and customers have rated my company well online...google reviews, yelp ect.. Compared to the industry and competition my business is rated above average.

I'm considered a respectable member of my community and active politically, in the arts and charitable organizations.

All that really matters is guests and customers frequent my business and are statisfied with the services I provide. Is everyone happy. Nope. My main focus is on customer and guest service. That's why I'm in the service business. I have shared the reality of what it takes to operate and maintain an operation at scale.

That's business. It's not always pretty. I'm proud of the work my company performs, our service and our products. I also have the only 24hr heavy tire roadside service crews in a 50-60 mile radius.

My towing company has received many national awards from Allstate and other road service providers and the towing / service industry.

I'm not going to post my name or business because I'm not going to put myself in a position for some wing nut or disgruntled person to actively try and harm my business because they didn't like what I posted in a public forum and on a thread I started. I think that's fair.

Some folks here think I actually put little "chill'ren" on school busses and law enforcement officers in danger because my shop uses bulk oils, fluids and filters—all that meet proper specs. Truly I was told on another post I'm endangering the safety and lives of drivers because my shop uses currently Mag1 and Chevron lubricants in bulk and not boutique oils. Same for Fram orange cans and jobber filters. Crazy stuff. I've never heard such folly. Show me a study or any proof a bulk DOT approved brake fluid of proper spec installed in a vehicle and changed at OEM spec intervals has any effect on braking as compared to Red Line or Mobil1 or Petosin or whatever. It doesn't and no one can. If it wasn't safe it wouldn't meet the DOT spec.

::>>I don't disagree on your assessment but "discriminating on a toolbox" is not illegal in most states and not at the Federal level. There are only a handful of things that are illegal to discriminate on (sex, race, gender (including LGBTQwhatever, and I think one or 2 more). You can be fired or not hired for numerous "stupid" reasons all of which are perfectly legal.
It's not illegal to not hire someone for a variety of reasons as this person points out. Thank you.

I have many quirks and reasons I don't hire people. I do a lot of the hiring myself but do have a VP of operations and store manager, service manager and other managers for each division of my company and complete infrastructure that handles the day to to day. That's how I have time to be on here haha.

Some other things that won't get you hired by me...and it's my right bc it's my company and maybe it's crazy but It's my prerogative...... For office / professional positions no one with a degree from Florida State, University of Georgia or University of Alabama. I graduated from the University of Florida. My prerogative. Ohio State is questionable. A resume without a cover letter, poorly written, typos or on cheap paper. (Depends what the position pays and the level of education required). Shoes not shined. A tie not properly tied (again depends on the level of the position)

For any position I pass if any of the following apply: late to an interview and I define late as arriving anytime after @ 15 mins before the stated appointment. That's a company policy too. Whatever is on an employees schedule or is told to them by a manger on time means being 15 mins prior to stated time. It's in my policy handbook. Coming to an interview dressed poorly or dirty. I don't care how much money you have but looking like a bum or being dirty is no excuse just because you are blue collar or even poor.

Late during your training or probationary period. Buh Bye. Keep your assigned tow or service truck dirty. Nope.

You might thing my ways are crazy but they work for me. Can't argue with success.

I never discriminate for race, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, pregnancy or anything else per Federal laws. I am happy to use whatever personal pronoun you prefer. I have a salesperson that is gender fluid and They does a fanasric job with very high customer satisfaction.

Florida is a "Right to Work" State. Employment is at will. I can make decisions for any reasons not withstanding Federal discrimination laws.

I have no problem with your posts.

But I will say, if you are going to not hire a person because of misspelled words, you better make sure your own grammar is perfect.....

I would'nt hire anyone from Ohio State either.

Last edited:

Wow, what an egotistical pig. I remember why I didn't go to college now. Idiots like you don't like a rival football team, so I'm disqualified. Colleges are no different than political parties. They're all gangs, plain and simple. Truly unbelievable. No wonder you don't want to identify yourself. I wonder how the University of Florida would feel if they read your remarks? Oh, that's right. They wouldn't care, they got their money already.

Shoes not shined? Is this 1924? Okay, apparently if I go in for an interview with a dinosaur, I'll remember to overapply a coat of Armor All. Extra greasy. ...I may decide to slip from said product and sue too. Just out of spite.

But the most hilarious of all, are you aware that you're a hypocrite? Required to arrive 15 minutes before an appointment or your scheduled time? Remember that thing you said about "stealing"? You really are an [censored] boss.

Im checking out of this dumpster fire. But I'll keep watching just to see how ridiculous it can get.
36.gif

Originally Posted by Srt20
But I will say, if you are going to not hire a person because of misspelled words, you better make sure your own grammar is perfect.....
This x10000000
Okay, now I'm checking out.
crackmeup2.gif

Maybe Mechanics with fancy HUGE tool box stuffed with expensive tools are doing work that you do not do. I had a big tool box filled with all necessary tools. Had my own repair shop and machine shop (cylinder heads only) for 35 years. Every year the car manufacturers would come out with new models with new style screws/nuts/bolts/electronic ignition / transmissions / shop manuals then code readers/computer systems and all new tools to purchase to work on them and the list can go on. Cylinder heads first cast iron then aluminum new tooling to work on aluminum heads new cutters / grinding stones. Diesels engines bigger cutters. Yes my big tool box was filled with expensive necessary tools. No I did not drink but would indulge in a cigar. I was good at what I did now retired.

Last edited:
Almost 25 years owning a full service high volume repair shop and towing company has taught me without fail when a "mechanic" has a fancy HUGE tool box stuffed with exspensive tools he's paying weekly or monthly for he probably truly su*ks as a mechanic. It's the case every time. Every decent mechanic I have had has old worn tools and nothing fancy. Just what's needed. A basic tool box ect. It's 99.9% fool proof. I even ask mechanics when I interview them to tell me about their tools. I just pass on the guys w the fancy boxes and set-ups. I want to hire the guy that's used a chop saw to cut the end off an old craftsman wrench and then welded the head onto a bar and made his own tool to get to the power steering pumps on the old FWD GM 3.8s where GM hid the pumps up against the firewall at the bottom of thr engine.

Almost every mechanic is a drunk, druggie, smoker or all of the above. Not all so don't flame me but again 25 years has taught me it's almost a certainty.

Just some thoughts.

Who hired all those substandard mechanics?

I was servicing diesel standby generators for seventeen years prior to what I do now. I did 99% of my work in field service so I had a couple of big three drawer boxes and assorted bags... One for battery service, one for small electronics, etc. In the shop I had a huge Snap On box to keep all of my specialty stuff organized or I would never have known where any of it was. It's one of the anniversary boxes so it's a goofy color with graphics all over it. I really don't care what it looks like. I got a fantastic deal on it and it holds all my stuff. Most of my customers never came to my shop so my box wasn't there to impress anyone.

NOW, for the last fifteen years, I've been a Critical Systems Engineer for Time Warner and Turner Broadcasting. I keep a cart and a couple of bags for tools. Works just fine in this setting. On a kind of parallel note, the powers that be at my job decided we should all wear white t shirts under our uniforms. Why, I have no idea. I am 6'5" and spend plenty on long t shirts, almost all black or navy since I've been a wrench forever. One day, the assistant chief ambushes me in my office and starts complaining about my t shirt. I reminded him that one guy in the crew got fired for shutting down the data center by accident and three others for drug use all while wearing the required white shirt. He never brought it up again.
I guess my point is a guy can choose to do a good job no matter how his tools are organized or whatever else is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back