Log Splitter NEW, Best fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.
I am purchasing a NORTHSTAR 37 TON Log Splitter with a 16GPM Barnes Pump. Reading the recommended fluid they state a " 10wt aw-32, ASLE, H15, ISO-32) Fluid or DEXRON 3 over 70 Degrees for long periods.

I am looking at Warren oil 303 initially, but with the ATF Requirement it threw me.

The Splitter will be used in temps from 50 to 80-90 degrees, what are my best options?
I am looking at schaeffers brand fluids or a good off the retail box store fluid.

Any help?

I was not sure how to take it, I talked with my Schaeffers rep just now and he is saying an AW-32 product 112 Fluid should work fine. He also said the Synthetic Blend 254 will work.

So It looks like 112 in AW-32 unless anyone knows anything better.

I'd prefer AW-32 over Dexron III, but I'd use Dexron III if necessary. It's just being used as hydraulic fluid, after all.

looks like AW-32 in the Schaeffers will work.
I was looking at a Wolfs Head Hydra Trans type 303 spec fluid/UDT was not sure which would work better, perform better

I use the stuff branded Tractor Supply hydraulic oil, comes in 2 gallon jugs.
I've run my splitter in the heat of the summer, all the way down into the teens without any problems.

ATF will work fine as will an AW32 hydraulic oil. I have a Northern Hydraulic splitter that has used ATF since 1995. It runs in hot weather and in sub-zero weather. No problems at all with the hydraulic system.

My new splitter came with AW32 oil. That oil seems to work fine so far. We will see how it performs in sub-zero conditions.

ATF might be the best all-around choice if the splitter is used in very cold conditions.

Lou Braun

I would recommend Mobil DTE 10 excel 32, or there synthetic "Mobil SHC 524. These are supreme hydraulic oils. The synthetic has very good viscosity index, thus making a good low and high temp applications.

Last edited:
Log splitters are not particularly picky - a high quality AW46, ATF, or tractor transmission oil should all work just fine.

For sake of argument.... ATFs are really that different from hydraulic fluids...

Pick whichever fits best into your price range. Like it's been said, these aren't picky machines.

As of a half hour ago the splitter has atf now in it and new filter. don't notice any difference.

Also switch the tin compactor to atf to. i use it to reduce volume of scrap. Has a 10hp opposed twin briggs. belt drive pump to reduce rpms, noise, engine wear, and reduced fuel usage. i need to put a filter setup on it someday still.

ken

What about Maxlife ATF? Seems like it would be a good option, especially for older Splitters. Cheap and readily available at WalMart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back