Hemi MDS issues are how common?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol.gif

I can't find the conversation now but some suspect that synthetic 5w20 is causing the cam failures. Way they describe it is on conventional 5w20 the rollers turn thus working like it should. With synthetic 5w20 the rollers are sliding on the cam lobes causing the cam to wear. Claim that this due to non adjusting valves so clearances aren't allowing rollers to work like it was designed and also claim the hemi tick is also caused by synthetic 5w20 with some going to conventional 5w20 and tick is eliminated. Lots of theories out there.

Originally Posted by tiger862
I can't find the conversation now but some suspect that synthetic 5w20 is causing the cam failures. Way they describe it is on conventional 5w20 the rollers turn thus working like it should. With synthetic 5w20 the rollers are sliding on the cam lobes causing the cam to wear. Claim that this due to non adjusting valves so clearances aren't allowing rollers to work like it was designed and also claim the hemi tick is also caused by synthetic 5w20 with some going to conventional 5w20 and tick is eliminated. Lots of theories out there.

Doubtful. The 6.4L, which uses the same lifters and specs 0w-40 (synthetic) appears to be completely immune to the issue.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by tiger862

Doubtful. The 6.4L, which uses the same lifters and specs 0w-40 (synthetic) appears to be completely immune to the issue.

6.1 is the same. Spec is 0W-40 and 15W-50 by TSB if the oil squirters whine. MDS is extremely tolerant of viscosity variations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back