My car-your additive/oil/etc requests!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, I have a 2000 Honda Accord EX 2.3 beater car. I take good care of it, but I try out various oil additives from time to time. Pretty much tried everything at WalMart, MotorKote, various mixes of oil, 5w-30 to 20w-50, etc. Open to suggestions within reason. I am not going to do some silly mix that will obviously harm it, but we can be creative here. I think 20w-50 plus Lucas (I am in NY) is the next run..

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4418539/Re:_Alright_who_here_runs_20W-

I err on being a thick man, but 20w50 + Lucas is like.. thicc

edit: sorry, I should recommend something. How about Valvoline Maxlife (any weight) + RLI SynXtra Booster Pak
or try Delo XLE 10w30

Last edited:
And lets just post complete nonsense and throw that out there to see how it stirs up the crowd (evidence of which is the 20W-50 with Lucas in a New York winter).

Unless your oil consumption is about 1 quart per 100 miles we're just being strung along here.

I see turbo in the handle and you need something a bit less thick in NY ... but not too thin ... go with this:

NY oil.png

So basically no automobile manufacturers recommend any oil additives nor to oil blenders. Your car has an owners manual that I will bet does not mention 20W50 at any temp.

What's the mileage?

If it's the H23A3 2.3L VTEC engine then you need to go back to what the mfr's manual specs out and I'm guessing 5W-30. The VTEC depends on oil pressure to change valvetrain configuration to match driving conditions and a thicker oil may cause problems.

Use a good oil like Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30, Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 High Mileage if over 75,000 miles and go with 7,500 mile OCIs.

Originally Posted by kschachn
And lets just post complete nonsense and throw that out there to see how it stirs up the crowd (evidence of which is the 20W-50 with Lucas in a New York winter).

Unless your oil consumption is about 1 quart per 100 miles we're just being strung along here.

I admit that I could of posted more details about the car, however what I initially said is true. Also, I have been maintaining/modifying cars for quite awhile and been a straight shooter for longer than that. So, without further ado, here is a 20W-50 oil change just for you!!!! (Yes, I did this today after I made this post and found myself being indirectly called out as a BS'er).

(video removed for profanity - mod)

Last edited by a moderator:
"so you guys see there's no monkeying with the bottles...refilling or anything" proceeds to block the view of the bottles.
you know you're not transparent, right?

i don't really understand what you're trying to prove. ok cool, so you like to try new additives. what did you or do you hope to achieve with those additives you used; and did you? so you go from using additives for reasons such as "cleaning your pistons or valves", to just dumping thick oil in cold winter months in your car along with a super thick oil stabilizer?

even if something wild happened, like you get 50 mpg on this entire OCI, i still wouldn't follow your lead and start running 20w50 in my car. i know it takes an idiot with an idea to come up with a new invention or to land on the moon, but i'm afraid you're gonna be the only idiot in this case looking for a "new invention".

having said all that, i can't wait to see the results. i doubt they'll be very scientific or even mildly properly presented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back