G37 - Valve Cover Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Infiniti G37 - 95K miles. VQ37 engine.

Service intervals since 60k has been synthetic 5W30 (either Mobil 1 or Amsoil XL) at 5K intervals. Prior to this, the service history showed 4-6K drains with conventional oil.

The valve covers were removed to replace the gaskets. The valve cover gaskets have been sleeping a significant amount of oil for the last 10K miles. When handled, the old gaskets felt a bit stiff.

72FE0C2E-EB54-420D-99B2-D41BDE4754D5.jpeg

7BFE56AD-DC35-4F55-B473-5E7E79EE0024.jpeg

F5D52D53-26A7-4C75-AC44-9A3E03C05B1C.jpeg

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Looks really good but it should. I'm not familiar with this engine. Why are you changing good oils so soon?

These engines are known to be hard on oil.

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
These engines are known to be hard on oil.
That's generally the case with the "DE" engine variant. In the "G" line, they used that up until 2006 but continued using this engine in other Nissan models. Starting in '07, the G35 and G37 models have a VQ35/37 HR engine and these seemingly resolved most of the oil issues. I have an '08 G35X running Castrol Edge 0W-40 at 6100 miles and no noticeable loss of any oil (going by the dipstick). I have a Blackstone bottle in the garage ready for the next oil drain/change too.

Thanks for posting these, Chris.

My 2013 G37 has 32K as of now. What other maintenance issues have you noticed on yours that you'd recommend to keep an eye out for?

Any other leaks, other components refurbed or replaced, etc...?

Originally Posted by El_Vato
Thanks for posting these, Chris.

My 2013 G37 has 32K as of now. What other maintenance issues have you noticed on yours that you'd recommend to keep an eye out for?

Any other leaks, other components refurbed or replaced, etc...?

I did the same thing and 100k service on my inlaws G37x recently.

Keep a eye on the valve cover gasket esp the lower rear on both sides. I use Syn oil every 6k in their car and it was spotless inside but the gaskets still leaked.

The transmission fluid looked pretty bad at 60k. I dropped the pan to clean and then added new fluid.
The diffs and transfer cases looked good at 100k. I still changed the fluid but no major issues.

So the valve cover gaskets and trans fluid are the only upkeep items I noticed that stood out. The later 3.7 motors have been pretty good if you change the oil on time. Starter was a pain to replace but been pretty good.

I bought a Q50s with the 3.7 due to the ones I have worked on have held up well.

Looks great!
Moral of the story... use conventional for 60K, then synthetic for 30K
whistle.gif

11.gif

I really love the G35/37 coupes. How different are these two? I've been shopping around for one. Looks like the closest car to my 300ZX. Much better looking car than a 350/370Z.

M1 and Amsoil out at 5K! I thought I change oil too early
grin2.gif

4-6K with dino (previous owner) is not bad either but I would typically change dino a little earlier. Maybe closer to 4 than 6.

I doubt if it applies to this car but curious if synthetic cleaned up any thing left behind by dino?
Maybe overall that's a myth also idk. Both oils can cause sludge, etc. when beyond their limits!

Do you think the pics would be still as good if op continued with dino at 4-6k intervals?

Originally Posted by dippschtick
All those leaves on the cowl panel! My OCD is kicking in!

Same here! I like to have everything spotless before digging into an engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back