Audi RS3 confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time time lurker, decided I finally need some advice. I have been reading a lot but still kind of confused and couldn't find much on my car or engine specifically.

I have a 2018 RS3 currently at 7800 miles, car is going for first service in a couple days. So, here's the confusion:

- The manual states to use approved oil. It does not mention a specific spec.
- The Canadian (where I am) service schedule on Audi.ca says the RS3 and TTRS are to use 5w30 504 spec. It does not mention 502 as an alternative.
- Under the hood sticker says either 504 or 502 is acceptable. I assumed that was for top ups.

I asked the dealer and they said they would normally use 5w40 502 but they do stock the Castrol LL03 504 as well and they'll use either one at my request.

If it matters, the car has a 7.5 quart capacity, it has used two quarts in the 7800 miles and I used Fuchs 504 to top it up. I typically drive about 8k miles per year and would like to just do oil changes yearly if possible.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
504 is a better specification. However, there's some very good 502 oils out there too. Either will do you well and Audi would never refuse a warranty claim for using a 502 or 504 approved oil.

The 504 spec is a better oil than 502 but if Canada has more than 10 ppm sulfur in the fuel you will need to shorten your OCI. Personally I would run the 504 and do a UOA at 5K miles to see how the TBN is holding up and adjust from there. Wear metals will be higher for the first 20K or so due to the engine being new and nothing to be concerned about.

I would use the 5w40 502 they offered. Aside from that, I would not be comfortable at all with the thing using 2 quarts of oil in it's first 7,800 miles. I've bought a lot of new cars in my lifetime and none of them ever did that. That said, most manufacturers say anything less than 1 quart per 1,000 miles is acceptable.

Scott

The VW forums are aflame with similar confusion with oil specs for 2018. It's like VAG went bi-polar on oil specs for the model year.

In your case as mentioned 504 is the higher spec, I personally think you would be "more right" to use 504 as both your sticker under the hood and your service manual mention 504. I also agree with those who think you'd be warranty covered using a 502, after all its on the sticker under the hood how can they dispute it.

VW 504's will all be low saps 30 grade oils, either 0w30 or 5w30. Low saps does not tolerate higher sulphur fuels well so as already mentioned, a UOA would be a good idea to make sure you are safe. On the other hand, if you are adding that much oil I can't imagine the TBN would be unduly depreciated over your OCI.

Off topic but..Congrads on the car! Its such a sleeper with a tune and few bolt ons. Just a supercar killer. Love it... Someday i will own one!

Use whatever is required for warranty then switch to Redline 5w40.

There is slew of VW topics lately, and it is understandable since VW managed to seriously confuse everyone.
If under the hood says 504 and 502 you can use either for warranty purposes.
What engine likes is both specs. since those engines are designed around heavier oil and both those specs. require HTHS above 3.5.
Which one is better? VW504.00/507.00 is NOT better specification. It is specification that is more compatible with latest emission systems, primarily in diesels. It is lower SAPS, different additives etc. VW502.00 is older spec, but there are some really sophisticated oils like Castrol 0W40 etc. that are approved for VW502.00 among others. If I had that engine I would use Castrol 0W40 or 0W30 or some other similar oil.

Normally I would never question this and simply use 504. To be truthful the only reason I started this thread, and someone touched on it here, is that apparently the 504 in North America isn't lasting as long as 502's, but sulphur content was also lowered in the last couple years and it's hard to find newer solid information. I would imagine VW/Audi have tested this extensively and is the reason some 2018 specs changed. Of course I don't know that for sure, hence my apprehension. I am already at 7800 miles factory fill and I don't know if that is 502 or 504 but I would presume the latter. The oil consumption does not concern me because it seems normal for the engine according to other forums and user data, and it has definitely gotten better over the last 2000 miles or so. I also don't baby the car around :). I suppose it's also possible that adding 1-2 qts per oil change will negate a lot of my longevity concerns anyway.

I do plan on keeping the car (well) past warranty period and if 504 at yearly 7 - 8k intervals is a bad idea I would obviously like to avoid it. However I also believe the 504 spec is there for a reason, it is the only engine in the 2018 service guide that shows that oil as spec, every other engine is 502 except for the new 508 spec engines (pages 3-4 in the link below). This almost makes me believe it may be a viscosity thing, maybe that Audi does not want slightly thicker oil in this engine or something.

https://www.audi.ca/content/dam/nem...dule-pdfs/EN/Model-Year-2018-English.pdf

Originally Posted by Serge
Off topic but..Congrads on the car! Its such a sleeper with a tune and few bolt ons. Just a supercar killer. Love it... Someday i will own one!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Normally I would never question this and simply use 504. To be truthful the only reason I started this thread, and someone touched on it here, is that apparently the 504 in North America isn't lasting as long as 502's, but sulphur content was also lowered in the last couple years and it's hard to find newer solid information. I would imagine VW/Audi have tested this extensively and is the reason some 2018 specs changed. Of course I don't know that for sure, hence my apprehension. I am already at 7800 miles factory fill and I don't know if that is 502 or 504 but I would presume the latter. The oil consumption does not concern me because it seems normal for the engine according to other forums and user data, and it has definitely gotten better over the last 2000 miles or so. I also don't baby the car around :). I suppose it's also possible that adding 1-2 qts per oil change will negate a lot of my longevity concerns anyway.

I do plan on keeping the car (well) past warranty period and if 504 at yearly 7 - 8k intervals is a bad idea I would obviously like to avoid it. However I also believe the 504 spec is there for a reason, it is the only engine in the 2018 service guide that shows that oil as spec, every other engine is 502 except for the new 508 spec engines (pages 3-4 in the link below). This almost makes me believe it may be a viscosity thing, maybe that Audi does not want slightly thicker oil in this engine or something.

https://www.audi.ca/content/dam/nem...dule-pdfs/EN/Model-Year-2018-English.pdf

Originally Posted by Serge

Thanks!

I worked on testing VW504.00/507.00 oil. It was introduced because of more stringent emission standards which meant mandatory DPF in diesel vehicles. Also, they helped mitigate some CBU issues on first FSI and TFSI engines. However, your engine is third generation TSI, and it is questionable how much this spec. is going to help with CBU since that is mitigated by other means.
I would go and get Castrol 0W40, or if you are into boutique oils, maybe Motul X-Cess 5W40 etc. The only VW504.00/507.00 oil that truly was in league of its own, was Mobil1 ESP 5W30. But Mobil1 killed that oil and replaced it with some more vanilla like formulation.

I guess I should probably add, I have access to some boutique stuff. I work in the auto industry and one of my suppliers in 504 alone carries Total INEO, Fuchs GT1 Pro C-3, LiquiMoly 4200 and Motul 8100 X-Clean. I don't know if these are significantly better than the Castrol LL03.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
I guess I should probably add, I have access to some boutique stuff. I work in the auto industry and one of my suppliers in 504 alone carries Total INEO, Fuchs GT1 Pro C-3, LiquiMoly 4200 and Motul 8100 X-Clean. I don't know if these are significantly better than the Castrol LL03.

I am not fan of Liqui Moly, they are overrated due to their oversized Made in Germany letters.
Total is always safe bet. Motul is good. Fusch for me is whatever, good oil.
LL-03 is always safe bet, but nothing remarkable about it. However, if you gonna drive that RS3 they way it was built to be driven, I would go with W40 grades.

Originally Posted by Hounds
Think of me as the officious intermeddler: Castrol 0W-40 (not the 5W-40). Sells for next to nothing at WalMart.

+1...

Vw504/507 is mid-SAPS oil...lower TBN...less ZDDP...and sae30 viscosity

Vw502 is full-SAPS oil...sae 30 or 40...I would prefer 40...

BUT all decent full saps synthetic oils nowadays also carry MB229.5 BMW ll-01 porsche A40 specs also...wich are like additional candys in a equation
smile.gif

I would opt for those oils either in 5W40 or 0W40
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Trav
504 is not just for DPF and emissions reasons its a better oil in every way. Check this thread out.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4946057/1

We were not clear enough. VW504.00/507.00 is more stringent spec. than VW502. However, VW502 comes with othrer specifications such as MB229.5, LL01 etc. So, if you ask me which oil is better, Castrol 0W40 or Castrol LL03, I would say 0W40.

VW 504 was launched in conjunction with Euro 4 fuels, hence there is no such things as current fuels in NA doesn't match use of VW 504.
With computer service indicator, the higher spec'ed VW 504 is meant for long life at 30,000 km OCI whilst VW 502 is not.
In your context, a VW 502 is adequate and there isn't any harm in having a VW 504 either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back