Originally Posted by MolaKule

Nitrogen - 0.9% Mostly anti-oxidants and Friction Modification chemistry
Boron - 0.16% AW additive
Calcium - 0.1% Detergent, tbn base chemistry, and rust inhibitor
Magnesium - < 0.005% if any
Sulfur - < = 0.33% AW
Barium - Not Used anymore
Dye - 100 to 250 ppm any color these days but usually red analine dye
Dispersant - Ashless succinimide dispersant (succinic ester-amide dispersant, phosphorylated and borated) ~ 300 ppm which is 1/10 that found in engine oils)

So as you can see, both detergent and dispersant levels are very low.

Is the nitrogen the amines? Is that what give ATF that sharp stink?

Rislone is designed to be used over many oil change intervals, never used MMO so I don't know about it. Depending on sludge severity get el cheapo oil and sub 1 qt of oil with 1 qt of trans fluid, and drain after a few hundred miles and add your preferred oil.

Originally Posted by Hemispheres
Rislone is designed to be used over many oil change intervals, never used MMO so I don't know about it. Depending on sludge severity get el cheapo oil and sub 1 qt of oil with 1 qt of trans fluid, and drain after a few hundred miles and add your preferred oil.

That's a great idea considering that ATF has high detergency.

Oh wait, it doesn't. So why would I want to dilute the oil like that?

It's the combination of sulfur, phosphorus, and the Amines that give ATF that "distintive" smell.
laugh.gif

I highly suggest AutoRX. It has extended every transmission I've used it on (well, except for one but that is because I used it too late and completely lost 2nd gear before using it). And amazes me every time I have used it in the engine.

I am a rural mail carrier and buy used Caravans and T&C vans, between 2001 and 2004 because they are easy to find and cheap.... and they do not have a console so I can easily sit in the middle. And they cost me less to operate than the $50k right hand drive jeeps that others have, which they trade in every 3-4 years before they are even paid off because of loud knocks, clicking valves and constant trips to the mechanic.... everything on those jeeps break quicker than on my 15 year old vans that have regular suspensions and no extra cooling.

The typical van I buy has around 100-120k miles. I should run AutoRX before driving them but due to time and 5 other irons in the fire that always have going I don't think about it until the transmission starts slipping. Which is usually around the 130k mark.

AutoRX has made 6 out of 7 of these vans shift like new again. The oldest van I ever bought was a 98 and it slipped for weeks before I made my AutoRX order. The day before I received my order it lost everything but 1st and reverse. I tried it anyway but knew it was a waste of time at that point.

When I use it in the oil, the filter feels like a lead weight when I remove it. The very first time I used it in the oil I went a bit longer on the oil change than what is recommended because I took it on 9hr drive one way to visit family. I figured a little extra highway driving would let the cleaner work better. Well the oil light came on, I pulled over and oil was EVERYWHERE under the van. I figured I ruined the engine and told myself I should not have believed the hype of this AutoRX. It was at night and we had an hour to get home. I put in a quart of oil and checked it a few times during that last hour and had to keep putting oil in. The next day when I could see what was going on I discovered that oil was blowing past the oil sensor because the filter was 100% clogged with sludge. I put in a new oil sensor, changed the oil and filter and drove the van for another 150k miles or so... I don't remember exactly where it was at but it had 310k when I sold it.

The engines are quieter. I don't notice a change in oil consumption if there was any use between changes before. If it used it before it still used it afterwards. It doesn't fix leaks or claim to be a mechanic in a bottle. It just is the best maintenance you can do on an auto trans and engine.

You can also use it in the power steering as well though I haven't done that before. Every van I buy usually has a whine that is fixed with a reservoir replacement (built in filter gets clogged and also there was a redesign of the reservoir for those years), and I replace most of the PS fluid at that time.

I get on average right at 300k miles on each one which many think is not possible on those transmissions. I only do one treatment in the trans and oil per van and get at least 150k or more miles out of it. Other things start breaking or wearing out or I just know I need to find another one to start over with since rural delivery on bumpy dirt roads (some paved) is really hard on a vehicle and extremely hard on a trans with 400+ starting and stopping a day.

Last edited:
I've been doing some research on that auto Rx stuff. It appears to be a solid product when it comes to cleaning engines and transmissions. It goes by a new name these days and its kinda pricey and only available on their website. Using better oil seems to be the consensus around these parts either m1 or amsoil. Pennzoil platinum also has a fallowing.

Originally Posted by rastoma
I highly suggest AutoRX. It has extended every transmission I've used it on (well, except for one but that is because I used it too late and completely lost 2nd gear before using it). And amazes me every time I have used it in the engine...

I would NOT use AutoRX in an Automatic Transmission, whether it be a Step-Shift or a CVT.

Anything other than the specified ATF can cause shifting problems down the road because any OTC additive may modify the Dynamic Coefficient of Friction.

As an engine and Gear train cleaner (as in MTF or Differential), it may have some efficacy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back