Need advice on Filter choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to stock up on some filters for the 80's 3rd gen f-bodies I mess with and want your guys options

Some I will use for cars I flip, But wanna keep 1 or 2 for my own car................

These are deals I can get

O'reilly Auto:

PRO-TEC 162 (WIX ??) 51060 case of 12 PK filters for $16
Microgard MGL51060 $2 each
I'm thinking since they are both from WIX, They're pretty much same filter ??

On eBay: Seller "SAE-AUTO"

Fram XG5 15K mile filers $24 shipped case of 6

Dave

$4 each for Ultras to your door is a good price if you plan on running filters for longer OCIs.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
$4 each for Ultras to your door is a good price if you plan on running filters for longer OCIs.

+1 At $4 each it seems to be a no brainer for me.

ProTec would be like the NAPA Pro Select and the MicroGard is like the Silver. Both are WIX and of good quality, but not equal.

Nothing wrong with either or IMO. I wouldn't buy an Ultra for a car I'm going to flip.

I would not put too much effort into this thought process. If you can get a decent filter for $2.00, buy what you need and move on to more important things, like whats for lunch.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
O'Reilly is selling cases of Pro-Tecs for $16?? You must have an account, I can't get a good price from them on anything, unless it's on clearance!

No, I don't have a Oreilly's account. But spending $$$ on several cars at this store and being a nice guy does help in life
wink.gif

Dave

Whatever it was I bought at RockAuto for $0.87 each....

I've got enough to do every small & big block Chevy for a decade!

Originally Posted by Donald
I would not put too much effort into this thought process. If you can get a decent filter for $2.00, buy what you need and move on to more important things, like whats for lunch.

Pretty much the truth, right there.

these larger filters, like the XG-5 (and it's Ford twin, the XG-8) - last a LONG, LONG time.

It takes a ridiculous amount of sludge to slow one down.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
ProTec would be like the NAPA Pro Select and the MicroGard is like the Silver. Both are WIX and of good quality, but not equal.

Nothing wrong with either or IMO. I wouldn't buy an Ultra for a car I'm going to flip.

unless something changed recently (maybe why the microgards jumped in priced) the proselects i used to buy compared to the old white supertechs were identical to the microgards when they were 3.79

Buy cheap jobber filters. I can't help but chuckle at the folks wasting money on boutique oils and overpriced filters. Over the years my shop has used a variety of filters but mostly Fram jobbers and orange cans. I buy the cheapest bulk filters and oils that meet proper specs. My shop has the city and county contracts for government vehicles including police, sheriff, ambulances and most school buses. I also have a fleet contract w a rental car company. We are high volume and maintain many fleets for companies.

I use a $1.75 filter on the wife's Land Rover and my personal vehicles too. I always go over 100k miles on my personal vehicles and never have an issue. Fleet vehicles go over 100 always, almost always over 200 and many 300k miles or more before being retired. Most of the law enforcement cars are over 100k and many over 200k and still going...and most I've maintained since new.

All of my tow trucks get jobber filters...gas and diesel units...and we get 300-500k miles before retiring them.

Again...I buy to meet spec but in bulk and as cheap as I can.

Every fleet is maintained the same way. Taxies ect. No one that makes money and / or has a huge fleet is buying Fram Ultras or boutique oils. No one.

I have never seen an engine or tranny failure due to using bulk filters and fluids that meet spec. Never. It doesn't happen. I have never seen anything compelling that proves you actually get any return for spending more money on filters and expensive oils. Just meet the min spec and happy motoring.

Fleets also don't get early oil changes when new and intervals are set to the max as spec'd by manufacturer. Keep in mind fleet vehicles are driven by many different people and driven hard. Very hard. Law enforcement and ambulance / fire (cars and regular suv trucks) idle and run 20 plus hrs a day. They are used in a way a personal vehicle never could be used. They still last and last..gas engines in cars....for hundreds of thousands of miles on bulk filters and oils.

So buy cheap. Have a beer w your savings.

Originally Posted by ToadU
Buy cheap jobber filters. I can't help but chuckle at the folks wasting money on boutique oils and overpriced filters. Over the years my shop has used a variety of filters but mostly Fram jobbers and orange cans. I buy the cheapest bulk filters and oils that meet proper specs. My shop has the city and county contracts for government vehicles including police, sheriff, ambulances and most school buses. I also have a fleet contract w a rental car company. We are high volume and maintain many fleets for companies.

I use a $1.75 filter on the wife's Land Rover and my personal vehicles too. I always go over 100k miles on my personal vehicles and never have an issue. Fleet vehicles go over 100 always, almost always over 200 and many 300k miles or more before being retired. Most of the law enforcement cars are over 100k and many over 200k and still going...and most I've maintained since new.

All of my tow trucks get jobber filters...gas and diesel units...and we get 300-500k miles before retiring them.

Every fleet is maintained the same way. Taxies ect. No one that makes money and / or has a huge fleet is buying Fram Ultras or boutique oils. No one.

I have never seen an engine or tranny failure due to using bulk filters and fluids that meet spec. Never. It doesn't happen. I have never seen anything compelling that proves you actually get any return for spending more money on filters and expensive oils. Just meet the min spec and happy motoring.

Fleets also don't get early oil changes when new and intervals are set to the max as spec'd by manufacturer. Keep in mind fleet vehicles are driven by many different people and driven hard. Very hard. Law enforcement and ambulance / fire (cars and regular suv trucks) idle and run 20 plus hrs a day. They are used in a way a personal vehicle never could be used. They still last and last..gas engines in cars....for hundreds of thousands of miles on bulk filters and oils.

A Ford Fiesta will get from one place to the other as well as a Rolls Royce. Good you noted your motivation to use cheap products, even on taxpayers very expensive vehicles. I wonder if you tell the government agencies you use the cheapest products you can find and pass all the savings on to them. It must save $3 on each oil filter. The labor is the same so the service should be $3.21 less for a $1.79 filter versus a $5 filter to the taxpayers. Just an observation.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by Farnsworth

A Ford Fiesta will get from one place to the other as well as a Rolls Royce. Good you noted your motivation to use cheap products, even on taxpayers very expensive vehicles. I wonder if you tell the government agencies you use the cheapest products you can find and pass all the savings on to them. It must save $3 on each oil filter. The labor is the same so the service should be $3.21 less for a $1.79 filter versus a $5 filter to the taxpayers. Just an observation.
coffee2.gif

Why would he tell them what he uses?? It's a BUSINESS and the guy is maximizing his profit margin and the products MEET spec so there is not problem. The fact he takes these cars upwards of 300k miles is all the proof needed that he is doing it right.

The contracts are all open bid and public records. We certify and submit documents to prove we meet the bid specifications. The last couple of years my bulk oil has been made by Warren Distribution under the Mag1 name. I've used other brands as well and somtimes they change. For example the full Syn 5w20 right now in my shop is Chevron bc the distributor had a special on it less expensive than Mag1. I have 5 drums of it currently. Nothing wrong w Chevron. It meets specs. It's Dexos. Same as Mag1. I buy in 55 gallon drums. I am very particular to use the proper weights per the OEM for each vehicle. If I don't carrry it in bulk I order in 5 gallon buckets and / or gallons or quarts. I don't just use what's in the guns because it's close. I strictly go by OEM spec.

I never cheat custys. If someone pays for a premium name they get a premium name. If they don't then I give them a product that meets specs. Always.

Everything I sell to the taxpayers I use in my own vehicles with the exception of tires. Law enforcement and the school board specs Goodyear's and I personally hate them. JMHO. However, that's their spec and that's what I sell them bc that's what they ask and pay for.

Yes the taxpayers benefit because it's open bid and to win I have to meet product specs, service quality, speed and price and stand behind my work w/ a warranty. So yes the taxpayers benefit.

Go to any taxi company with a fleet and tell me they have Ultras ect and Redline oil!!??! Just aint happening. Maybe a one off Indy guy but not a fleet. Taxies are run extremely hard and get hundreds of thousands of miles on them. Same w law enforcement cars and many other fleet vehicles.

No one can ever convince me premium oils do anything for the regular car....racing....ok I agree....tuned motors....I agree....regular production vehicles?? Nope. Doesn't do anything except give some folks piece of mind and nothing is wrong with that at all. If it helps you sleep better at night spend the money. Just know if you need the police or fire or an ambulance to help you it's being run w jobber filters and bulk oil no matter where you live.

Fancy filters might help you extend an OCI but fleets follow the OCI spec.....usually severe duty and you will never be able to prove an OEM spec filter isn't good for the severe duty change intervals. Law enforcement vehicles in particular idle so much even changing them on severe duty miles probably is hundreds of hours more time on the oil than regular duty driving. Cop vehicles idle so much somtimes the cops pop the hoods to help the engines stay cooler. Look at Crown Vic and livery vehicles. Law enforcement doesn't want to retire them even pushing 200-300k miles bc the run so well and are bullet proof.

No one can even prove a filter that filters to a smaller micron in beneficial. So what if it does? We don't have any data to show what size particle will harm an engine other than to say there is no need to filter smaller than what the OEM filter spec is. Frankly many "high performance" extended interval filters actually allow the smaller particles to pass (think Wix XP) which is why they are good for longer intervals.......they don't go into bypass from becoming full.

At the end of the day you can't convince me a filter or lubricant that meets an OEM spec is any better or worse than any other filter or oil meeting the same spec. Not only do we have the science of the spec backing that claim we have practical examples of fleet cars like taxies w half a million hard miles on them to back up the claim.

Last edited:
I really really like the paint job and feel in my hand of the Boss and Ultra filters. They are pretty.

Also I never buy from disreputable distributors or bulk oils that the spec can't be verified. Like I said my current fav is and has been Mag1 by Warren Distribution.....I don't think anyone can impeach their products.

Last edited:
I really really like the paint job and feel in my hand of the Boss and Ultra filters. They are pretty.

Also I never buy from disreputable distributors or bulk oils that the spec can't be verified. Like I said my current fav is and has been Mag1 by Warren Distribution.....I don't think anyone can impeach their products.

I'm in Florida too and work for an agency of 1000 fleet vehicles. Caprices, Crown Vics, Tahoes, and a handful of 3/4 and 1 ton diesels. We run oil change intervals of 7500 miles, or 10% with newer oil change monitor systems. We do a 30k, 60k, 90k, 120k and 150k service intervals consisting of oil, trans, coolant, new thermostats, and differential fluids. K-9 Tahoes are the only ones with 5000 mile interval oil changes I believe, due to the excessive idle time because of the dogs. We run Wix Premium air and oil in everything and use some type of Dyno/blend oil that pretty much comes by the 18 wheeler load.

The one thing we do offer as an upgrades are drilled and slotted rotors with performance pads, by PowerStop I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back