1.5T Civic HB 6MT, 6,430mi 5w30AMS SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest UOA for my 1.5T. Oil hasn't been changed, just pulled the sample to see how the things are. No gas smell on the dipstick or increase in level. Droplet tests indicated minimal gas ring. OA are suggesting changing it immediately. I don't think I'm 100% confident in their fuel dilution measurement - same viscosity on previous report and 4% only. Thoughts?

2018-12-19_12-12-14.png

Last edited:
Did you get the vehicle up to operateting temp before taking the sample? How was the sample taken and does the car see a lot of short trips

It was driven around 30mi highway on the way back from work, 10min later 3mi trip for a soccer class with my daughter, 45min there, and then 10mi spirited drive back home. Pulled the sample through the dipstick with an oil sample pump. Car is driven 50-60mi daily with 20/80% split with higher number being a highway

The 1.5T still apparently diluting fairly significantly, but the wear seems pretty steady. Hopefully Honda fixes this soon. It's pretty bad when my carburetor equipped small block dilutes less than a modern 4cylinder with fuel injection.

Dnewton3 said it best recently in the 'No More Delo at Costco' thread.
And I quote:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
... many here pay for UOAs and then promptly ignore the data and do what they want anyway ...
It's called emotion.

While I agree with the statement applied to 1.5T in general but I disagree with it applied to this particular engine. To me, their GC measurement results are quite inconsistent and questionable.

Gas Chromatography is supposed to be the better and more accurate way of testing for fuel dilution. If I'm reading this right you have just under 2000 miles on this oil and the analysis says fuel dilution is over 5%.

I would trust the numbers they gave you. It's in line with the last analysis.

I see what you are saying. No, this sample has 6,430mi on it. Previous oil has been tested at 4K and dumped at 6 without running a UOA. Latest UOA is for oil it has been put in in august. Sorru for confusion

Originally Posted by parshisa
To me, their GC measurement results are quite inconsistent and questionable.

Based on what???

The paper towel droplet test?🙄🙄🙄

Based on length of the oil in use and final viscosity measured at 100°C - 1st,3rd and 4th sample.

Originally Posted by parshisa
Based on length of the oil in use and final viscosity measured at 100°C - 1st,3rd and 4th sample.

Who else measures fuel dilution that way while also being repeatable and scientific in their approach???

Your emotions have the best of you my friend...
11.gif

Are you really suggesting "throw out that silly gas chromatograph result because my viscosity is xxxxx and I've only driven xxxxx miles!!!"

Really?!?

Really?!?

I'll quote Dnewton3 again:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
... many here pay for UOAs and then promptly ignore the data and do what they want anyway ...
It's called emotion.

Last edited:
IMHO the oil and engine don't seem bothered by the dilution, in fact I may go as far to say that it's not really diluting the oil since your Viscosity is holding steady.

Exactly. I spoke with the lab and they confirmed that it doesn't look right so they will be re-running the test

It's diluting, as I would tend to think the virgin viscosity of this oil is higher. However, wear looks ok. Confirms that 5w30 is the way to go.

Are you running premium?

correct, costco 93. no doubt it is diluting, although comparing previous sample at 4,500mi with 4% FD and 8.9vis with current one at 6,400mi with the same viscosity and FD over 5% - it doesn't quite makes sense. we shall see, they are re-running test for fuel dilution and viscosity

Guess I'd make 2 points: 1) more miles or different driving conditions can mean more natural shearing and viscosity drop and 2) for the $25 or so UOA cost there will be some imprecision in measurements.

Shows Honda still need to work out the kinks on their turbocharged engines. They always seem to have issues in their first couple of years when they start a new generation vehicle with new engine technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back