Borescope who has one and what is a good one

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it is a little late but Christmas is just around the corner and my family keeps asking me what I want and I can't think of anything. Was looking at a borescope, mainly to inspect inside engines and such. Any suggestions on what to get? Thanks

Oh and if it is on Amazon, they would still get it in time for Christmas. LOL

many of the ones on Amazon are no-names and are around $125. I've used a friend's Bosch a few times. seems very good, but pricey. $400ish

Here is the one I bought off Amazon. I paid $60 for it and while it's not the best thing since sliced bread, it works just fine for me. The only drawback is that it's not the easiest thing to connect your phone too. Once you do it once though, it's easy to do it a second time. Here's a picture I snagged with it through the oil fill hole in my Elantra.

Edit: Ah.. I see now it's currently unavailable.. sorry. I'll leave this up though as it goes to show that you don't need a high priced borescope to get a decent picture. Here might be a good alternative.

2018-06-16-19-37-18.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'm use to using the ones to inspect the jet engines while I was in the Air Force. But they were $25k to $50k depending on what we needed them to inspect.

Originally Posted by Rat407
Thanks for the info. I'm use to using the ones to inspect the jet engines while I was in the Air Force. But they were $25k to $50k depending on what we needed them to inspect.

WOW!

Originally Posted by Onetor
Originally Posted by Rat407

WOW!

The government ordered a borescope and a toliet seat for a cool 100,000k

We had to snake the scope back through the compressor and into the combustion section. It wasn't the easiest thing to do but took some time. Amazing what we could see with a 4mm scope. Some we hooked onto the turbine wheel while inspecting the the stator vanes and rotated the engine to carry the scope around the section. Same with the compressor.

I have one I got on Amazon or EBAY for $100 to $125. If I remember. When my wife saw it she asked what I was planning on doing with it and made it clear she did not want to be probed.

It takes awhile to get use to using one. And I am not sure mine has enough light to see in all lighting conditions.

I once dropped the oil fill cap for my Subaru into the engine bay. It did not drop out on the ground but I could not see it either. I looked around with the probe and saw it, but even then I did not know exactly where it was as I was not exactly sure what I was looking at. But I knew the general area to reach up with my hands.

I would buy one on Amazon that is easier to return than a no-name on EBAY.

The Milwaukee I bought years ago broke so I bought this one for a third the price and its better. You can get it with longer and smaller camera end but I find the 3 ft long enough and 8mm diameter small enough to get down plug holes, etc. It has a very good image and decent made. If I need longer than that I got one off ebay for the Iphone that is 16ft for under $30.

https://www.amazon.com/TESLONG-NTS2...p;sr=8-35&keywords=Teslong+Endoscope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back