Observation of Mechanics and their tools...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost 25 years owning a full service high volume repair shop and towing company has taught me without fail when a "mechanic" has a fancy HUGE tool box stuffed with exspensive tools he's paying weekly or monthly for he probably truly su*ks as a mechanic. It's the case every time. Every decent mechanic I have had has old worn tools and nothing fancy. Just what's needed. A basic tool box ect. It's 99.9% fool proof. I even ask mechanics when I interview them to tell me about their tools. I just pass on the guys w the fancy boxes and set-ups. I want to hire the guy that's used a chop saw to cut the end off an old craftsman wrench and then welded the head onto a bar and made his own tool to get to the power steering pumps on the old FWD GM 3.8s where GM hid the pumps up against the firewall at the bottom of thr engine.

Almost every mechanic is a drunk, druggie, smoker or all of the above. Not all so don't flame me but again 25 years has taught me it's almost a certainty.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
There are some mechanics that have an impressive tool collection and are very good mechanics. But having the best tools doesn't always mean a person is truly good at what he/she does. I've seen in my business, the guys with the newest best lettered trucks are good at advertising and marketing, but suck at their craft more often than not.

Im sure theyre all paying weekly or monthly. I cant see how a mechanic can buy all those tools and still afford to live on what a mechanic makes without making payments.

I guess I'm no good. I paid cash for my big snap on box. A few years ago I upgraded my wrenches and sockets from a mis match of brands to snap on. I was tired of other brands rounding nuts and bolts, making more work for me.

With the shortage of people entering the trade, you will have no one to hire. If you want your shop to stay open for business you will need to take the chance on hiring a "mechanic". With the current generation of workers not wanting a job getting dirty, it's only getting worse.

Originally Posted by LotI
With the shortage of people entering the trade, you will have no one to hire. If you want your shop to stay open for business you will need to take the chance on hiring a "mechanic". With the current generation of workers not wanting a job getting dirty, it's only getting worse.

Mostly "mechanics" are part changers today. It's extrmemly hard to find what I consider a real mechanic that can truly diagnose and test. Not guess.

I pay them commensurate with industry norms and their experience. If they are good and can beat the book then can do well. Most can't and don't.

I have to disagree, for the most part anyway. It is true that alcohol and tobacco are found in the trades. But quality tools are a must.
My brother owned a good shop in Santa Cruz, CA. He used to tell me his job was to keep the tools clean and put away each day.
He demanded each mechanic kept their are clean.
Yes, he did have problems with his 3 mechanics missing work and/or dealing with hangovers.
Greg died of cancer in 1996; he left me his hand tools.
So I have 2 Snap-On roll aways loaded with Snap-On tools; they are perfect.
I can guarantee you I will never never use his engine building tools. I love these tools; they are such a pleasure to use.

Originally Posted by ToadU
I pay them commensurate with industry norms and their experience. If they are good and can beat the book then can do well. Most can't and don't.

From what I've heard from some very good mechanics "the book" is set up to screw the tech, and is very difficult to beat. Which might be the reason why work is often shoddy, and sub-par.

I worked for an equipment rental corp 17.5 years and an independent shop for 6 years basically doing the same thing working mainly on forklifts, light trucks and vans class 8 vehicles and some airport ground support vehicles . I was a constant continuing student keeping up on all the new tech [ you have to these days!] they put on vehicles and I had the tools I needed . I found that Snap on tools held up the best. You bought Craftsman tools to cut and make special tools.Craftsman tools don't hold up ! I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. Both places I worked treated me like gold and paid me well above scale. I really miss the work actually . But it got to a point my investments allowed me to retire early. I can't believe I am saying this but work hard, do a good to be keep educated and there is opportunity .

Here ya go. The bent screwdriver is for pulling washers away from 4x4 truck front hubs. The custom bent wrench is for 260,289 and 302 ford lower thermostat housing bolts. The ground down caliper mounting bolt is a punch now. The beat on spark plug socket is for removing and installing universal joints.

I have been at the ac/radiator shop for 17 or so years now and I dont need too many specialized tools any more. I took most of my specialized tools home or gave them away since I no longer need them any more. Like the tool to press on 70's eldorado CV boots. I have not seen one of those cars in decades .

IMG_20181219_071338.jpg

Last edited:
I pay them commensurate with industry norms and their experience.
I have to make money too.......
If there is someone else paying more, guess where everyone is going to want to work? Any employee who is skilled and will show up on time everyday is going to be able to hold down a well paying job with benefits. It's not 1980 anymore, even youngsters have options besides getting screamed at by an old man all day for a pittance. The world got used to treating blue collars like they are disposable, but now skilled ones are in high demand and don't have to put up with any guff.

I've seen way to many employers who pay the league minimum but expect you to go above and beyond and be motivated to show up everyday and work hard. When it comes time to make them money they want 110%, but when it comes time to make you money they won't reciprocate. Small businesses are the worst because every single one tries to play the vulnerable small business angle like they are single mothers or something. Meanwhile the owner has a brand new truck and just got back from vacay or is renoing their house.

You could be the .1 percent. I did say almost. And it's almost always true.
If You pay peanuts and you will get Monkeys.

Originally Posted by CT8

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by CT8

Money is a horrible motivator. Someone without work ethic or integrity won't suddenly find it because you pay them more. Pay more and you still get crappy work you just pay more for it. I've been in the industry a long time.

Most employees steal and try to screw their employer. The questions isn't if they are stealing it's how much. As an owner many things that are stealing an employee doesn't even understand is stealing. That smoke break on my time. Stealing. Ect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back