on the Fence about giving up Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never been a big fan or user of Facebook as I felt from day one that they would try and make money off your personal data anyway they could.

These days Facebook is in the news quite often for not being entirely truthful when they have testified at various government hearings.

So for my minimal use of Facebook I would not loose a lot by canceling my Facebook account.

So at this point I am on the fence.

Never joined. I stay off all of social media. Makes no sense to me to tell the world what you are doing. That is the height of egotism.

I like it for staying in touch with people I otherwise wouldn't (HS classmates, old friends that live far away, etc).

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
I like it for staying in touch with people I otherwise wouldn't (HS classmates, old friends that live far away, etc).

Same Here.

If you don't mind having your supposedly private personal messages read by various tech companies, then continue using Facebook.

I lived on it 24/7. Gave it up over a year and a half ago. There are some things I miss but it was easier than I thought to live without it.

Studies have shown that increased time on socisl media yields reduced happiness and satisfaction in life. So, I do two things on Facebook:

1. Say Happy Birthday

2. Say Congratulations when folks post an important event, e.g. graduation, birth of a child.

That's it.

Five minutes a day.

I block all the self indulgent narcissism and political stuff. I don't care about your position on (insert political topic here). On Facebook, those positions are represented by thoughtless, inflammatory, superficial "memes" anyway.

If you don't post, there's really no information to be collected on you, other than the usual personal information (birthday, location, job) but you control what's available to be collected by how much you post and like.

Originally Posted by Donald
I have never been a big fan or user of Facebook as I felt from day one that they would try and make money off your personal data anyway they could.

These days Facebook is in the news quite often for not being entirely truthful when they have testified at various government hearings.

So for my minimal use of Facebook I would not loose a lot by canceling my Facebook account.

So at this point I am on the fence.

Some people are truely hooked on FB . I go to my FB account , maybe a couple of times in a year . If I canceled my account , no loss .

I do not like the political and privacy issues involving Face Book. Having said that, Face Book has enabled me to get in touch with some old military buddies and friends I haven't heard from in many years.

It's the only way I can keep in touch with certain family/friends and businesses I frequent, so that's the only reason I use it. I can easily go without, if I wanted to give up the contact with various people (which I don't). I never have used the other social media outlets though (Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat/etc…). I don't really post anything aside from maybe some epic food or beer I've made, mainly just see what is going on with everyone else.

As far as whatever personal data, spying, etc… Don't care… I'm very boring compared to many others, I'm sure… !

I am surprised that people actually post their personal information when they sign up and post things that could incriminate them.

You report to me. I don't report to you. No, I don't use FB much because my business is my business and I don't want others to know how much fun I have and I don't have to brag about it either.

Neither I nor my wife are on facebook, or any of the other things like it. We don't even have smart phones. Do have flip phones, but only pay as you go plans, and hardly use them. This forum and the Ford Barn forum are as much as I post anything on the computer. And as you can see I don't have much to say here very often.

I remember a few years back when people were getting their houses broke into and then realizing they told everyone on facebook they were going on vacation and a few posts before that they had pictures of their house in the background where you could clearly see their address. It made the national news, just don't remember how long ago it was, silly people!

I shared conservative fact based commentary and they closed my account. I opened a new account, and again shared conservative fact based commentary, and they again, closed my account. No recourse, no appeal process.

They silence conservative views.

I will never have another Facebook account. They are dead to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back