RockAuto AC compressors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

The compressor on my GQ Patrol has seen better days and now whines so loud when its engaged that people on the street turn to see what that horrible noise is. Compressor is a Diesel kiki/zexel DKS-15BH, originally R12 but converted to 134a by prev owner. Having trouble finding a reasonably priced unit here so started looking around the internet, turns out the same compressor was used in Volvo 740/760s of the same era. Found a couple options on RA but never heard of any of the brands so though I might be able to get some advice on choosing one here. Only options are four seasons or what appears to be a lucky dip of whatever brand they find.

Any experiences with either option? I'll keep looking but these are probably my most reasonably priced option now.

Cheers

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Gotta echo Donald's comment.

When I needed one I asked at a BUSY trusted NAPA parts store (national chain here) and bought their "go to" brand. They claimed the name had a fine track record.

Can't comment on price due to the broad price range of the many RA offerings. I hadn't heard of it either. The unit was 6 years on the job last I knew.

Best of luck....ask around locally. Buy one which includes the seals.

Very little gets rebuilt in aus, at least not on a large scale. I've asked a couple independent AC shops around town but none were interested, just not worth it. Annoyingly the problem could well be $10 worth of bearings, but having disassembled a compressor before I'm not confident my ability to rebuild it successfully.

Ideally I would buy locally but not having a lot of luck finding something reasonable.

at least the Four Seasons is a brand I have heard of, but I have no experience with or knowledge of their quality. when available, I have always been able to get Denso A/C parts

I recently installed a new compressor from RA on a 01 Civic. Brand was "GPD". Seemed like a nice piece, working great so far...

Watch out for "same compressor" with the same basic model number but differences in the build-out (mounting, pulley, ports, etc) that make it not fit your car.

Last edited:
Four Seasons is a good brand name. I see them for sale at work via World Pac and as I have said many times World Pac sells OEM / OES parts for some cars.
If you tell me the year and make and model I will look up on world pac and tell you the Actual / Genuine or OEM / OES Parts.. but four seasons is good

And I think they are in USA.... You know its really on the installation.. Make sure you get a new expansion vavle / orfice tube.. flush the whole system with the proper a/c flush at work we sell interdynamics

High Quality Compressor Manufacturer

As the heart of the A/C system, compressors are also at the heart of our success. In fact, 66% new manufactured compressor units are made in house at our ISO9001:2015 certified facilities. Extensive investment in tooling has provided the opportunity to develop and maintain necessary fixtures, CMM Technology(Coordinate Measuring Machine), smart lock systems and modern testing and validation processes ensure a quality product that is second to none.

New manufactured in house: Remanufactured built in house:

Ford
GM
Halla
Nippondenso
York-Diesel Kiki-Zexel-Seltec

Bosch
Calsonic/Zexel
Chrysler
Delphi
Ford
GM
Hadsys
Halla

Hitachi
Keihin
Sanden/Sankyo
Seiko Seiki
Tecumseh
Valeo
York

Matsushita/Panasonic
Mitsubishi
Nihon/Calsonic
Nippondenso
Sanden
York-Diesel Kiki-Zexel-Selte

When conversison done was the correct oil added and was old oil removed.

Now that you have been squealing, you must also clean the system and install a new dryer and orifice tube. Some folks also add a suction filter I do not know what will work on yours.

Rod

It's probably time to replace all the easily replaceable stuff and do a through job of cleaning the system. Then install a new compressor and use a POE100 or PAG46 oil and fill to Nissan specs for oil and about 90% of the stated R12 charge with R134a until the pressures stablize.

There has been an influx of Chinese compressors on the market - can't say that I've used them, but I was eyeing a Sanden clone for a ex-friend's truck if he wanted the AC to work. I think it was a GPD.

Used 4 season for years and never had a problem. Bought the kit for 300 had brother install at his job for warranty purposes no problems up to time she sold it

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
When conversison done was the correct oil added and was old oil removed.

Now that you have been squealing, you must also clean the system and install a new dryer and orifice tube. Some folks also add a suction filter I do not know what will work on yours.

Rod

This is true, and I would also replace the condenser.

Cheers for the replies. Ended up going to a place that I forgot did AC bits and bit the bullet on a Valeo compressor for ~$480 AUD since I'm over this and get some time off over christmas. Turns out I accidentally bought a DKS-15CH when I was meant to get a BH, but I checked the connections, mounts and pulley and it's exactly the same. Didn't even consider changing the TX valve so bought one. Pulled all the lines and evaporator out last night and gave them a quick flush, luckily doesn't look like any debris or sparklies in the system just a lot of old dirty oil, need to finish it all off today.

Change the drier while you're at it. Cheap insurance. Flush anything that can be flushed with a system-safe flushing solvent. Usually mineral spirits does the trick if you do a careful job purging it with lots of dry air or nitrogen and a lonnnggg, deep vacuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back