Windows Defender Error Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
After uninstalling Bitdefender Free (due to it causing too many problems lately), I thought I'd try the built-in Windows Defender. Seems to work OK, except I can't save any changes to the options, and I get the error code shown below when I hit the "Save" button. I have Administrative rights of course on this computer. Running Windows 7.

I booted the computer in Safe Mode and found that I can make and save any of the changes, and they stay to those settings after booting up normally. It will scan automatically and all that ... I just can't save any options and get the error code shown.

I tried to do a "clean boot-up" during a non-Safe mode boot that basically disables everything but the basic Windows services, and I still get the error when trying to save option settings. So if a process is causing this error, it's a Windows process (not Malwarebytes, etc). I tried searching the internet for this issue and tried a few things but it didn't help.

Anyone have an idea what's causing this error or what I could try? Not too concerned if I can boot-up in Safe Mode and change things, but would be nice to have it function normally.

Windows Defender Error Code (even with a Clean Boot).JPG

I wouldn't even bother with Defender when there are so many other options available. I've made myself happy with free Avast, but that is NOT a recommendation. Just my $.02

Just install Advast, they now encompass AVG and are one of the best free antiviruses available if you don't mind a few reminders to get there paid version every week...

Are you getting that error using other programs...not the code just that message?

Try using a restore point that's before Bitdefender was installed.

Before you try restore, run msconfig and look under the Services tab to see if any Bitdefender service is still running. If there is one, disable it.

Z, after you try Overkill's suggestion, because I think I know what he's getting at, and the other ones mentioned here, is there a way to go with Microsoft Security Essentials instead? Also, check if this thing is actively scanning all the time or something stupid like that.

I still stand by my suggestion of uninstalling not just BitDefender, but all of Windows.
wink.gif
But, there are things you can try first, I suppose.

Windows Defender on Windows 7 is not the same as Windows Defender on Windows 10, which I think is what Garak is getting at. It's not meant to be an AV replacement, which is why Security Essentials is a free download through Windows Update for it. Defender in 10 is an evolution of Security Essentials.

For Windows 7, you really want a robust standalone AV and my recommendation for ESET NOD32 still stands.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
After uninstalling Bitdefender Free (due to it causing too many problems lately), I thought I'd try the built-in Windows Defender. Seems to work OK, except I can't save any changes to the options, and I get the error code shown below when I hit the "Save" button. I have Administrative rights of course on this computer. Running Windows 7.

I booted the computer in Safe Mode and found that I can make and save any of the changes, and they stay to those settings after booting up normally. It will scan automatically and all that ... I just can't save any options and get the error code shown.

I tried to do a "clean boot-up" during a non-Safe mode boot that basically disables everything but the basic Windows services, and I still get the error when trying to save option settings. So if a process is causing this error, it's a Windows process (not Malwarebytes, etc). I tried searching the internet for this issue and tried a few things but it didn't help.

Anyone have an idea what's causing this error or what I could try? Not too concerned if I can boot-up in Safe Mode and change things, but would be nice to have it function normally.

Again, as I mentioned before, your Windows 7 can't keep up with new technology and programming designed for Windows 10.
You will continue to have various, off & on problems UNTIL you upgrade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Again, as I mentioned before, your Windows 7 can't keep up with new technology and programming designed for Windows 10.

That's a steaming pile of excrement. Windows 7 is just fine, particularly given his usage profile. The problem he's having presently is likely related to the disaster that was his Bitdefender install that caused his networking issues (note that you made the same ridiculous assertion that it was related to Windows 7 being unable to keep up with new technology, which you didn't define there either when queried).

Do you receive financial compensation to plug Windows 10 in every computer thread on here?

Literally the only reason I'll start ordering Windows 10 laptops (vs the Windows 7 ones that I can still order) for our organization is because Office 2019 requires Windows 10 and I'll soon be unable to order Office 2016. 10 is a new surprise every time there is a major build update. Maybe it'll break an EMR, maybe it won't. Maybe it'll kill Citrix, maybe it won't. Maybe it'll blow away all your network drives, who knows! The amount of vetting required with 10 that wasn't necessary with 7 due to how 10 is a moving target creates significant IT overhead. Our new X-Ray shipped with 10 and the builds are being vetted by Agfa corporate in Germany before the workstations are allowed to be updated. It's a huge make-work project.

Originally Posted by Zee09
Sounds like you just need a complete easy to do OS reinstall
I never had those issues unless I had serious issues.

Everything is working fine except what I describe in my first post associated with Windows Defender only.

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Just install Advast, they now encompass AVG and are one of the best free antiviruses available if you don't mind a few reminders to get there paid version every week...

I might go that route eventually.

Originally Posted by BigD1
Are you getting that error using other programs...not the code just that message?

Try using a restore point that's before Bitdefender was installed.

Before you try restore, run msconfig and look under the Services tab to see if any Bitdefender service is still running. If there is one, disable it.

I only get this error in Windows Defender. I can't do a restore point before Bitdefender was installed, which was probably 3+ years ago.

I totally uninstalled Bitdefender using Revo Uninstaller ... so there is no trace of Bitdefender left on this machine. As I mentioned earlier, I tried a "clean bootup" into Windows (after finding info on that on the 'net) which is where you go into msconfig and disable everything but the essential Microsoft services.

Only time I don't get that error message in Windows Defender is when I boot-up in Safe Mode, and then make option changes in Defender. The "Save" button works and I don't get that error message when I make option changed while in Safe Mode.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
What happens when you run Windows Update?

My machine has all current updates. I get a notification every time Windows detects a new update. I then decide when and what updates to install.

Originally Posted by Garak
Z, after you try Overkill's suggestion, because I think I know what he's getting at, and the other ones mentioned here, is there a way to go with Microsoft Security Essentials instead? Also, check if this thing is actively scanning all the time or something stupid like that.

I still stand by my suggestion of uninstalling not just BitDefender, but all of Windows.
wink.gif
But, there are things you can try first, I suppose.

Not sure if I can download Microsoft Security Essentials from Microsoft ... haven't looked into it.

The status info in Defender says real time scanning is turned on, so it must be working in real time. It also performs scheduled daily quick scans, but doesn't update the virus definitions automatically (even though it's set to do that) when Microsoft has a new one available. I also get a message in Windows Updates that there's a Defender virus definition update available, so I just make the update manually.

Can't dump Windows ... I have way too many programs that I use that run on Windows.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Windows Defender on Windows 7 is not the same as Windows Defender on Windows 10, which I think is what Garak is getting at. It's not meant to be an AV replacement, which is why Security Essentials is a free download through Windows Update for it. Defender in 10 is an evolution of Security Essentials.

For Windows 7, you really want a robust standalone AV and my recommendation for ESET NOD32 still stands.

I'm also running Malwarebytes Premium (their full version), which runs in real time. So whatever anti-virus program I run it needs to play nice with Malwarebytes Premium.

So if Security Essentials was used, then Defender should be disabled?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
ZeeOSix said:

What new technology? I only run software that is compatible with my computer. I'll be forced to go with Windows 10 when Windows 7 is no longer supported (supposedly Jan 2020 unless MS slides it out some), or I need a program that will only run on Windows 10.

When Windows has another AV or anti-malware package involved, does that do something with Defender? When I had mucked about with one of my anti-malware packages, Windows gave some sort of warning, but this was months back, so I can't remember all the particulars. What I'm getting at is would another thing (like BitDefender, Norton, AVG, etc) mask any Defender issues?

Originally Posted by Garak
When Windows has another AV or anti-malware package involved, does that do something with Defender? When I had mucked about with one of my anti-malware packages, Windows gave some sort of warning, but this was months back, so I can't remember all the particulars. What I'm getting at is would another thing (like BitDefender, Norton, AVG, etc) mask any Defender issues?

I think Defender gets turned off when another Anti-Virus or Anti-Malware program is loaded. If you then launch Defender it will ask if you want to turn it on. You can turn it on, and that's how I'm running Defender and Malwarebytes at the same time. They seem to play together OK. Like mentioned earlier, I did a "clean boot" into Windows, which disables Malearebytes and lots of other programs that are not Microsoft provided. Still got the same error message in Defender.

So after searching and reading the differences between Defender and Security Essentials on Microsoft's website, it sounds like I should be running Security Essentials instead of Defender. Security Essentials running with Malwarebytes Premium would cover both virus and malware better. Defender sounds like an anti-malware program, not anti-virus. I think Malwarebytes has the malware side covered very well, so I don't think Defender is doing anything useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back