Tested Positive for Flu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drove back home to Memphis to hang with the family for the weekend since yesterday was my birthday. My older nephew, who's 7, started complaining of feeling bad Saturday night. By Sunday he was running a 103* fever and barely moved off the couch all day. Sister took him to the pediatrician yesterday morning and he tested positive for influenza "A".

Meanwhile, I'm back at work yesterday and started feeling a tickle in my chest that made me start coughing. Took some cough syrup before bed last night. Woke up this morning feeling a little "out of it", a bit lethargic, and with a minor headache. I suspected it was flu, even though my temperature was only 98.0*. and sat in the truck at 0515 debating on whether to call in. Talked myself into going ahead to work because it's very rare that I call in, and I didn't feel all that bad after having half a cup of coffee. Got to work and didn't feel too bad, but I did notice some muscle weirdness - not really aches and not really weakness, but sort of. Headache started getting worse, and I took my temp again at 10:30. This time it was 99.7*. Took a couple of Alka-Seltzer and that took the edge off the headache and muscle aches. Never lost my appetite - had a good lunch and now I'm about to polish off a whole Papa Murphy's supreme pizza.

Figured what the heck, I'll pay the $20 co-pay and stop by the clinic on the way home and get tested. Positive for Influenza Type "A". Same as nephew (BTW my younger nephew also has it now; so far I'm the only adult in the family showing any symptoms).

They prescribed Tamiflu. I've read up on it a bit (wiki article) and it can have side-effects, but the NP at the clinic said she hasn't heard any reports of any.

I did not get a flu shot, nor have I had one in many years. Honestly can't remember if I've ever had one. This is the first time in my life, at 39, that I've ever been actually confirmed to have flu. I don't know if I've ever had it and not known it.

As I said, symptoms are very mild at the moment. I'll take a dose of Tamiflu after I eat. Hopefully it'll cut down on the duration and I'll be on the mend by Christmas.

What are y'all's experiences with flu?

I have never tried tamiflu. But anytime i am sick i try not to use anything( like ibuprofen naprosyn or aspirin) to lower my temperature, unless it gets much over 102 or i just can't stand it.

Had influenza B in Spring 2014, A in spring 2017. I can't remember the exact symptoms, but I felt like death for around 1-2 weeks. I don't have much to add, except that I'd avoid contact with other people (if possible) and such until your fever is gone without the help of something like ibuprofen, because I believe that's when you're no longer contagious. I've never gotten the flu shot before, I thought about getting it after A in 2017, probably the worst I've ever felt.

Body aches, fever, lethargic, no appetite are what I've experienced when I caught the flu. Dr. prescribed Tamiflu and it worked like a charm, the symptoms cleared up in 2 days versus over a week. Don't get the flu shot because if you're sick, they won't give it to you and it may make you worse.

I had the flu about 15 years ago. My experience was that you won't have it and not know it... Several days of intence muscle aches, fever, congestion, lethargy. It was truely awful. I haven't missed a flu shot since. My wife is a Nurse Practitioner, and has set a strict hand-washing regimen in our house. So despite having 2 kids in grade school and a wife/mom who works in a hospital, we don't get sick very often!

If I get the flu this season I'm going to try Xofluza. New to the U.S. this year.

Xofluza (baloxavir marboxil) works by preventing the virus from copying itself, while Tamiflu (oseltamivir phosphate) and two similar drugs keep the virus from spreading within the body. Either way, antivirals should be given within 48 hours of the first symptoms to be effective.

Xofluza is a single dose, unlike Tamiflu, which is taken twice a day for five days.

Last edited:
Glad you caught it early. Took me a month to feel 100%. I was back at work after a week in bed. Was still sleeping 10+ hours a day for the next 3 weeks. Just felt drained.

How long did it take to get the test results that showed you were positive?

Originally Posted by Leo99
Glad you caught it early. Took me a month to feel 100%. I was back at work after a week in bed. Was still sleeping 10+ hours a day for the next 3 weeks. Just felt drained.

How long did it take to get the test results that showed you were positive?

Less than 15 minutes.

I know Leo's question wasn't direct at me, but I'm bored... Both times that I was diagnosed, I had rapid flu tests done. I can't remember if they swabbed my mouth or my nose, but I think it took about 10 minutes to get the results? Though, I think a clear positive was seen after only a few minutes.

Originally Posted by spackard
If I get the flu this season I'm going to try Xofluza. New to the U.S. this year.

Xofluza (baloxavir marboxil) works by preventing the virus from copying itself, while Tamiflu (oseltamivir phosphate) and two similar drugs keep the virus from spreading within the body. Either way, antivirals should be given within 48 hours of the first symptoms to be effective.

Xofluza is a single dose, unlike Tamiflu, which is taken twice a day for five days.

How did you hear about that drug? This is the first I've heard of it.

Originally Posted by sxg6
I know Leo's question wasn't direct at me, but I'm bored... Both times that I was diagnosed, I had rapid flu tests done. I can't remember if they swabbed my mouth or my nose, but I think it took about 10 minutes to get the results? Though, I think a clear positive was seen after only a few minutes.

She had me blow my nose without wiping it, then she stuck a long, thin swab up my nose. Like, ALL THE WAY up my nose. Very uncomfortable. Left nostril, then right.

Diagnosed with influenza B in June 2014. Developed pneumonia, went into respiratory failure, sepsis, infections, was in a coma for a month. Nasty stuff. And I was only 49.

I may or may not have had it two weeks back

The test was negative, but I've never felt that achey, and I never run hotter then 98°, at °100 I called it

Please people, STAY HOME

Stop soldiering into work to show how dedicated you are to work through it, I'm tired of second hand colds and upper respiratory infections

No one's impressed, and it gives me a reason to be very unpleasant to you
mad.gif

The flu is not a 24 hour thing, it took me 5 solid days of bedrest to be able to drive again

I'm getting the flu shot, better late then never?

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Haven't had the shot in about two decades.

Also never had the flu since then.
coffee2.gif

Amen. My last flu shot was in the Navy in the 1980's. The only time I got the flu/bronchitis consistently was during work exposure from 2002-2008 when I was doing ridiculous hours, eating poorly, and gaining weight. My immune system was probably on "empty." Revamped everything in 2009 to tip top condition....dropped 50 lbs. Not sick once since....or at least if I was, I didn't really feel much different. Immunity through foods, sleep, diet, exercise, and stress management is probably a far better regimen than a flu shot.

Originally Posted by michaelluscher
I may or may not have had it two weeks back

The test was negative, but I've never felt that achey, and I never run hotter then 98°, at °100 I called it

Please people, STAY HOME

Stop soldiering into work to show how dedicated you are to work through it, I'm tired of second hand colds and upper respiratory infections

No one's impressed, and it gives me a reason to be very unpleasant to you
mad.gif

The flu is not a 24 hour thing, it took me 5 solid days of bedrest to be able to drive again

I'm getting the flu shot, better late then never?

^^^^^

A lot of good truth here...

Stay home if not feeling well. Candidly I lost a older lady I take care of because her daughter came to see while she was not well.... The lady who shared a bathroom with also got very very sick has well. Though thankfully she pulled through.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I got the flu in Jan'18 and I felt like I got mugged & beat up.
This year, I got my flu shot.

You know last year and the year before that the magic flu shot efficacy was really really low. In fact both the ladies I told that story about in the other post... They both got the magic flu shot... And it did no good. One passed away. The other made it.

I'm not a fan of these supposed vaccines. Other vaccines I am fine with for sure. These are nothing more than a feel good measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back