Put my wife's dog down yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been married a little over 36 years, and for the majority of that time, we've had dogs. It never gets any easier saying goodbye to them. About 8 years ago, we got a rescue dog named Blue. Blue was a big boy, about 120 lbs., shepherd/husky mix. He had been abused, and was a little timid. Over the years, some of his confidence came back, and he was a happy, friendly, gentle dog. When he was a bit younger, we used to take him to a large off-leash dog park where he could run, and he would just trot for an hour or two. That was apparently great fun for him. I certainly couldn't keep up, but he would come back from time-to-time to check on us, and then take off again.

As far as being my wife's dog, that was Blue's decision, and he made up his mind immediately on meeting her. He warmed up to me after a little while, but his heart belonged to mom. As gentle as he was, it would have been a very bad idea to attempt any harm to my wife in his presence. As time went by, he became much more affectionate toward me, but my wife was still always the light of his life.

Blue had been having what appeared to be shoulder trouble for about a month. We took him in, got some X-rays, and were issued some pain and anti-inflammatory meds. He didn't really seem to get better, and sometimes it was obvious that he was in pretty severe pain. We tried leg braces, little shoes to keep him from slipping and so on, and had some hopeful results. Yesterday afternoon, he got up and his front legs collapsed and he kind of landed on his chin. I helped him up, and it happened again. We helped him get outside so he could take care of his business, and he was obviously pretty weak in the front legs. After a very persuasive call from my wife, the vet agreed to see us right away.

Long story short, bone cancer. Pathological fracture of the elbow. The vet told us that he would need to double his pain medication, and up his other meds as well. Um, what? Isn't he dying? Well, yes, but maybe you want a little more time with him. No thanks, we've seen him collapse and slam his head into the floor enough times. He's in pain, he doesn't know why, he's not getting better, it's time to stop the pain. So we made the decision that he wasn't coming home. My wife held him as the drugs were administered until he stopped breathing. Probably one of the hardest things she's ever done, but the right thing.

He was a good dog.

Sorry for your loss. Having to put down a pet is tough.

Know what you're feeling, sorry for your loss. Very hard to say goodbye to family members. We got Keiko, a beagle-corgi mix from the pound in 1999 and she was already around 5 years old when we got her. She was found abandoned and when we adopted her, she was timid like she was abused. Her confidence came back and we took her everywhere, car rides, parks, beach, long walks everynight after dinner. She died in 2007 from bone cancer that resided in her spine and couldn't walk. She died at home and we still miss her very much. Haven't had the heart to adopt another one and it's been 11 years now. People loved her people we met along our walks and our neighbors and was an excellent watch dog only barking at people she thought was a threat. When my dad passed away in 2001, she came and hung out with my mom, knowing something was up.

We miss and still love you, Keiko.

Last edited:
I have a cat in this exact same situation-he's had many minor strokes and seizures, and is gradually losing the ability to control his back legs & bodily functions. Beloved by everyone, except the dog, he's on the last of his 9 lives. Hoping he makes it past Christmas, the vet talked me out of putting him to sleep Saturday. He's gotten a little better, but he doesn't have long. In happier days-
[Linked Image]

You and your wife are responsible, loving pet parents.
People in pain and suffering with not possible remedy should be so fortunate.

Your dog had a great life and died peacefully; there is no more pain.

Blue was clearly loved and you gave him the chance to find happiness and share his love with you and your wife. As much as it hurts, your last gift to him was peace and an end to his pain.

I'm sorry for your loss. I had to make a similar decision last year.

Do you have a picture of Blue you might be able to share with us?

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. I think my most heart wrenching experience was having to put down our very sick dog. You did the right thing.

Originally Posted by Throt
Very sorry for your loss. I am so happy to hear that your wife was strong enough to be with him in his final moments. There was a recent article that made waves about owners who don't stay in the room when it happens and how sad it is for the animal.

https://www.today.com/pets/vet-s-comment-about-pet-owners-leaving-room-euthanasia-sparks-t137331

Give your wife a hug from all of us here at BITOG. And I agree with the above, would love to see a picture of him.

Hmm, I'll see if I have a decent pic to upload.

When Blue came into the room (was carried actually), he was kind of waking up from the sedation they had given him for the x-rays. He was confused and agitated. They put him down next to my wife, and he immediately relaxed. As she stroked and petted him, you could see his tension and fear leaving him. I petted him a little, but he really just wanted her attention, so I moved back and let the two of them be together. Painful? Yes, it's a very difficult experience (I had a dog that bonded with me in a similar way), but the dog was good to us. Watching the two of them together was heart-wrenching, but an animal like that deserves all of the comfort we can give him in his final moments.

We have another dog, who is figuring out that things are different (he's not too bright), and he'll need some comforting too.

I still miss my wife's little dog. She never really warmed to me after 12 years but she was my little buddy if my wife wasn't home or if my wife was sick. LOL. We had the little dog put down at 3am after she had a stroke or something similar.

It's hard. I see facebook friends hanging on to their pets a bit longer than they should. Glad you made the strong decision to end the suffering.

Thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

So sorry! We lost our old cat over the summer. It was very hard on all of us. Amazing how attached we become to our furry friends.

Originally Posted by Stelth

Probably one of the hardest things she's ever done, but the right thing.

He was a good dog.

Right on all 3 counts. Best wishes for the both of you, our furry friends leave us too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back