Depth-Fiberglass Filter Media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Many years ago I had a talk with an Exxon-Mobil filter engineer. This was not about car filters. It was about industrial oil and industrial filters. At the time he indicated that better filters were fiberglass bc they utilized "depth" vs "surface" filtration. And he indicated that Mobil 1 filters used fiberglass. Now this was 22+ years ago.

Fast forward-I looked through the last 10 pages here. It appears that Mobil1, Fram Ultra, and K&N appear to have the thickest media. Possibly indicating it is fiberglass depth media. Since I have a new XT(Turbo) Forester, for a few extra dollars I would like the best filter available. Realizing that engine life probably will not be affected by any filter I use....I still want the "best". Yes I could go bypass. But I don' like going that route.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Just about every filter I come across by today standards is some kind of paper/glass synblend or full synthetic media. I wouldn't over think this even an orange can fram has a blend of fibers.

Originally Posted by Al
And he indicated that Mobil 1 filters used fiberglass. Now this was 22+ years ago.

Thoughts?

Hm. Mobil 1 eh?

Fram Ultra, Royal Purple, Purolator "Boss" all use a thicker media (depth)

The Mobil 1 filter currently offered doesn't appear to have any thicker media type for the "depth" feature.

Last I knew, the Mobil1 filters were not a full synthetic glass filter, but a glass/cellulose blend, similar to a standard Wix filter.
A full synthetic fiber media is used by Amsoil, Fram Ultra, Purolator Boss, Royal Purple, and Wix XP.

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol

Hm. Mobil 1 eh?

I knew him pretty good. He was not biased. He just knew Mobil had it at the time. I looked at the cut opens of M1 filters and the Media looked pretty thick. Seems Ultra is highly regarded.
Thanks for the info so far.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I prefer OEM usually because of balance between flow and efficiency. Ed

Full synthetic media typically flows better too ... along with "depth filtering". That's why full synthetic filters have more holding capacity and are recommended for longer OCIs.

The Ultra uses 2 layers of full synthetic media, which probably helps it obtain the high efficiency. And per data from Motorking (Jay at Fram), the Ultra flows very well too. Read on from this post in the thread linked below.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3114348/Re:_Fram_Ultra_PICS_&_#Post3114348

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Eddie
I prefer OEM usually because of balance between flow and efficiency. Ed

Full synthetic media typically flows better too ... along with "depth filtering". That's why full synthetic filters have more holding capacity and are recommended for longer OCIs.

The Ultra uses 2 layers of full synthetic media, which probably helps it obtain the high efficiency. And per data from Motorking (Jay at Fram), the Ultra flows very well too. Read on from this post in the thread linked below.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3114348/Re:_Fram_Ultra_PICS_&_#Post3114348

ZeeOSix- That's a good thread.

Here is a short explanation made by Baldwin / The filter council.
Baldwin TSB cellulose vs synthetic explanation.

Only way you're gonna get "depth"-based media is with the old Toyota 90915-20004 filter or their older Denso "crystal element" service filters from the 1980s-1990s. Those filters used "foamy" media or regular paper media that's folded twice in different directions to double the surface area.

Supposedly Cummins is using a depth-based element on some of their oil filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back