O2 sensor B1S1 no voltage??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very odd.. 1st I took my whole intake off b/c the egr was clogged and had to clean and scrap carbon out on my 2002 honda accord 3.0 v6.. Its common the procedure i did.. I was getting the error egr insufficient flow.. Anyways i took care of it... After the service i scanned and the egr code was gone and now I have O2 sensor B1S1 no voltage... Anyone have ideas?

I think all that cleaner messed up the sensor.. but no voltage is whats making me think twice...

before i cleaned the intake / egr code was P0101

after i fixed the egr problem..

as soon as i turn on car and scan I get .P0131

whats getting me is this new code came the first start after the egr / cleaning procedure .

Someone told me a fuse but i checked all the fuses.

Last edited:
ill post pics of obd2 scanner codes if anyone needs to see but i put in codes above

O2 sensors generate a voltage when exposed to heat. It will not generate any voltage if it fails completely. You have to be very careful about what fluids/cleaners/additives you are using in today's engines. It MUST say "safe for O2 sensors" right on the label.
Alternatively, the wire/connection to the O2 sensor may be broken and not allowing the computer to see it's output.

Yea i used sea foam spray via brake booster vacuum line... and that didnt help the egr clog... When I took the intake off i used carb cleaner and let it dry over night..
however when i took off the egr valve itself i could not get all the cleaner out as i didnt have compressed air.. I did blow throw it with a hose to try to get some out.

I thin all that carb cleaner and throttle body cleaner made the o2 sensor 1 bank 1 go bad.. at least i hope.. I followed the harness and all is connected and looks good... so I dunno till i put on the new one.. Also I got NTK.. I dunno some ppl say use denso.. there is not a denso on there right now its a SMP o2 sensor.. I guess it was on there when i bought the car.. Anyways im getting NTK .. I guess it NGK...

Thanks for info...

anyone else would be nice.

Last edited:
How long did you have the egr code? I believe that sometimes when there is a trouble code for one thing, the computer stops checking for other codes, that may arise from the original problem.

Some cleaners kills O2 sensors, even O2-safe MAF cleaners. NTK's are great sensors (same company as NGK) and I would use them interchangeably with Denso.

A large vacuum leak &/or low fuel pressure can set P0131, This code indicates Low Voltage opposed to No Voltage.....Though technically it can set from a zero volt condition. I don't recall if Honda has a "bias voltage" on their O2 signal circuits....If it does, That would explain this code setting right away.

Do you have a way to read scan data?
Do you have a DVOM & a Incandescent Test Light?

Originally Posted by JamesBond
How long did you have the egr code? I believe that sometimes when there is a trouble code for one thing, the computer stops checking for other codes, that may arise from the original problem.

That is correct for some non-continuous monitored devices/systems, P0131 is at least continuous in closed loop!!

Okay the egr just only a few weeks... However this is very odd... I was in my driveway and had the car on and i all of a suddun the check engine light went OFF !!
I was so happy..... I drove about 30 miles and stopped car for 3 hours and started car and drove down the road and boom the check engine light came back on.

Also my OBD2 is a actron auto scanner plus... Its what we use at work.. its not mine... I can only scan at work... So this is odd now.. So it was on and it was out and now it back on...

wow..

Yea I'm going to change it Friday... The O2 sensor comes Friday..
However this is odd but the CEL went off for a few hours then came back on. I didnt have the scan tool with me so I couldn't scan it but Ill find out when i get to work tomorrow.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
A large vacuum leak &/or low fuel pressure can set P0131, This code indicates Low Voltage opposed to No Voltage.....Though technically it can set from a zero volt condition. I don't recall if Honda has a "bias voltage" on their O2 signal circuits....If it does, That would explain this code setting right away.

Can it be intermittent ?

b/c the check engine light went off for a few hours... I was so happy it was all working perfect and then it came back on.
I was very let down..

I already ordered a new NTK Sensor.. I hope the sensor is bad... I mean it has at least 100K miles on it and it looks in bad shape

also I can read codes and work... no problem... and no i do not have a test light but we do have them at work Im sure i can barrow one.

Its driving me crazy that the CEL went off and all was perfect and then it came back on a few hours later... very weird.. I think / hope its a bad O2 sensor.\
More info would be very nice..
Thank you

Also to just change it would probably be a good start?? Since I have one on the way and I got a great deal on it.. $19.00

There is the possibility the O2 is carbon fouled from all the carbon you loosened and then cleaners, I think that's probably what happened here. There are ways you can attempt to clean them by deliberately causing the engine to run lean for a time at higher rpm but its hit and miss. For $19 just swap it, your time fiddling around is worth more than that.

Originally Posted by Trav
There is the possibility the O2 is carbon fouled from all the carbon you loosened and then cleaners, I think that's probably what happened here. There are ways you can attempt to clean them by deliberately causing the engine to run lean for a time at higher rpm but its hit and miss. For $19 just swap it, your time fiddling around is worth more than that.

Ture Im going to replace them both.. there is only 2 on my car.. ODD I figured a v6 would have 4 but that fine with me.. So Im getting both for 42$ it wont hurt anything. Also I think i found the probem... A guy above mentioned a vacuum leak and i found a cracked vacuum line today when I was cleaning the throttle body.
The Throttle was tight and I wanted to clean it like new and I found a in bad shape vacuum line and now the CEL light is OFF....

Cross my fingers it stays off.... but Im going to change both 02 sensors anyways.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

I think you were right.. I was cleaning the Throttle body b/c the the pedal was very tight, I figured Ill clean it like new.... Well when I was removing vacuum lines 1 of the vacuum lines that goes right into the Throttle Body had a big crack in it.. I would cover the crack and the engines idle would change... So I fixed that problem and reconnected the battery and boom no CEL Light.. Now before i stared to clean the throttle body i disconnected the battery and I fixed that leak if I unhooked the battery before the CEL light would just pop back on in a few minutes.
I think when I was moving all them parts when I was removing the Throttle body and the Intake manifold the first time might of caused that line to crack.
Remember car has over 250K miles and them vacuum hoses are a a little brittle... Thank for you info.. your post made me really inspect the all the vacuum lines.

Now I will cross my fingers and hope it stays off b/c I hate any light on when I drive.
Also Im going to change both o2 sensors b/c I already ordered them and I got them cheap... NTK also...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
That will do it, too bad you didn't see that when you put it back together.

At that mileage , consider replacing all the vacuum hoses .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back