Calling all Ford Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you reset your adaptive transmission memory every time you change the fluid? Because I recently changed my fluid (drain and fill) and noticed it's not shifting as well. It was totally fine before the drain and fill and I am pretty sure my fluid level is correct. I have no idea where my OBDLink MX went hence why I haven't reset the transmission yet.

Last edited:
I simple battery disconnect and reconnect should jump start the process, however the trans will adapt to the new fluid characteristics in short order. I wouldn't worry about it.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
I simple battery disconnect and reconnect should jump start the process, however the trans will adapt to the new fluid characteristics in short order. I wouldn't worry about it.

Do... you have a Ford? With adaptive transmission tables that need to be reset with something like Forscan? Because I have a feeling you don't. Because disconnecting the battery does NOT work for Fords with this system.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
I do not. I just drain, fill, drive around the block a few times, then check the level on a flat surface and top off as needed.

OK, Thanks. Perhaps it's underfilled. I'll dump in another half a quart and see what happens. I did put 3.5qts instead of 4.0qts like I usually do with drain and fills.

Last edited:
Done 3 drain & fills in our Explorer and did not notice any difference in shifting after doing them. I do them cold, 4 quarts out 4 quarts in, no dipstick. So far I've only have used Mercon LV brand fluid.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by 14Accent

Do... you have a Ford? With adaptive transmission tables that need to be reset with something like Forscan? Because I have a feeling you don't. Because disconnecting the battery does NOT work for Fords with this system.

No...I don't. I do, however, service many different transmissions from many different makes on a weekly basis, including TONS of Ford 6f35's/6f50's and GM 6T70's/75's. I've yet to have a customer complain of poor shift quality afterwards, and I never reset the adaptives. I just take it for a good test drive up to temp each time before verifying final fluid level. Never had an issue.

I've swapped about 7quarts of Mercon LV in my 6R80 during a pan drop and filter change. Didn't make a lick of difference to how the transmission functioned.

Disconnecting the battery for the correct amount of time WILL drain the KAM and adaptive strategies in any vehicle to my knowledge and has always worked for me.

Originally Posted by dogememe

Actually, there is a way to do this which includes disconnecting the battery. You have to disconnect the positive AND negative terminals, and short across the positive and negative CABLES (not the battery terminals).

As shown here

Looks like I'm an idiot. I dumped another half a quart of tranny fluid in and it seems to have solved my problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back