2017 Kia Sportage recall notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share with the community.
Do you guys think they really wanna prevent it or the problem is there and they're trying to fix it adhoc?

IMG-0185.JPG

Interesting. I wonder how a software update protects against excessive connecting rod bearing damage? Is it some kind of warning system? Power reduction/management?

All they're doing is changing the frequency range the knock sensors are listening for. My guess is, if they can catch the sound of rod bearings failing early enough then they have an excuse to say "oh, instead of a long block we're just going to replace the crankshaft\bearinga from now on".

It won't hurt getting the software update, but don't expect it to save your engine.

Member, Robster had pm'd me about this...

Thanks for posting. I'll keep an eye out for this. I don't know of any difference between the '17 and '18.

Last edited:
It says "all 16-18 sportages"
When I went to a dealer's service schedule and selected my car, this recall was a separate suggestion for it right away.

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 1.01.14 PM.png

yeah actually there's nothing on those websites for my car as well.
I think it's due to a fact they do it as an "improvement", not recall

I had something similar years ago with my Subaru. Just take the vehicle in for the software update.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Do they not use that 2.4 engine in other vehicles?

I had one in my 2017 Sonata. While I am a fan of Hyundai and think they offer a good value for the money, these repeated engine problems are concerning. Heads at corporate definitely need to be rolling. We all know about the previous generation Sonata's that had boatloads of failed engines due to improper de-burring of the block during manufacturing, or at least that's what the excuse was.

Do they use a powder metal fractured rod? If so, less timing at lower RPM is know to help them live a longer life. Long enough to get out of 10 year/100,000? Is that still the Hyundai warranty? My bad, Kia!

Last edited:
This is an extension of the recall/extended warranty notice for all the other Hyundai/KIA products with the 2.4 or 2.0T engine failure

IIRC all 2017 and earlier engines, no matter the vehicle, are possible time bombs

The 1.6/2.0 N/A engines in the smaller cars also fail, but much less often

The reasoning makes no sense. The fail years and 30 oil changes after manufacturing. The debris should be long gone. My step son's Hyundai 2.0t had the first recall years ago with the new orange dipstick. Said should be ok. A few months back the motor just stopped on the way home. 105k miles or so. Checked oil, full of metal dust. New motor free from the dealer. It took 4 months and had a free rental the whole time.

We're at 147K on the Santa Fe, so hopefully out of the woods. I will keep the oci to severe on the KIA. Someone slap me for considering 20 on M1AP. Although i do feel this is more precautionary than anything else.

Just came out of the dealer. In&out in less then 1 hour. Let's see how it goes from here

My parents bought a Kia Sportage and forwarded this post to them. My Dad sure isn't impressed! They have been super happy with the Kia 2.4 but this is sure scary.

Having the fact the dealer performed the update faster then it takes them to make an oil change, I wouldn't be too worried. 100k miles warranty backs me up in case smth happens
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back