CVPI center caps on 2010+ Taurus, winter wheel setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I would show my newest winter wheel setup. You can easily replicate this on a newer Taurus.

17" steel wheels, Dorman 611-199 collared lugnuts (from 2013-present Ford PI Sedan) and Crown Victoria Police Center caps (F87A-1A096-GB).

Actual Taurus PI Sedans have 18" steel wheels and corresponding center caps. Sourcing new 17" steel wheels in 5x114.3 is a lot cheaper (more rubber/sidewall too).

I bought only one to test fit -- since it was a success, I am ordering more. Also, it is nice to keep direct salt/road gunk away from the lugnuts/wheel hub. You can get the idea.

[Linked Image]

I grew up in 'Cuse and lived in Watertown for many years. I found no matter what I did, salt reached every part of the vehicle and rotted it away. It didn't matter how many times I'd wash it and spray underneath, it simply didn't matter. The state sucks and that's reason #37,762 why I moved to Florida.

I will say, that does look good. Now only if Ford offered the 5.0 in those Tauruses. That'd be a pretty cool car.

Originally Posted by Traffic242
I grew up in 'Cuse and lived in Watertown for many years. I found no matter what I did, salt reached every part of the vehicle and rotted it away. It didn't matter how many times I'd wash it and spray underneath, it simply didn't matter. The state sucks and that's reason #37,762 why I moved to Florida.

I will say, that does look good. Now only if Ford offered the 5.0 in those Tauruses. That'd be a pretty cool car.

You're not wrong. The Falcon in other parts of the world has a similar body with RWD layout and a 5.0, add some AWD and yes that'd be stellar.

Originally Posted by Traffic242

OMG, I couldn't agree with you more. No matter what I've done with my vehicles(aside from KROWN, Rust Check), we must use more road salt/brine mix on the road than anywhere USA. Maybe not as others might disagree.

It wont matter what you do. Might as well Plasti-dip your entire car. 3 years and they start to show rust. It's unreal how quickly that forms when roads stay wet for weeks at a time with liquid salt. Might as well park in the ocean. It'd probably rust LESS than 3 years of driving through NYS winters.

I moved down here in 2008. I had a 2007 Silverado 2500HD at the time. I put a lift kit on it and the tech looked underneath and asked "what year is this." I said, 2007. Said it looks like a 97 underneath. Sad part was, it was true. 1 year worth of winter in Watertown, which is the armpit of the state with BRUTAL winters, and that was it.

I love the steelies with chrome caps, especially on a car. I think it looks much cooler than the generic grey wheel covers you see on cars today. You were lucky that you could cobble that setup with parts from different manufacturers, it looks great!

Make sure that you wax them and keep em clean, I think it's exposure to brake dust and poor prep/paint at the factory that makes them rust. Steelies are great because they are so easy to repaint and keep looking good, but when they are not maintained they get pitted and ruined.

The rust belt is a wasteland, but I think there is going to be a switch from liquid brine to shredded wood that is impregnated with brine or something similar. I watched a video on it and they are switching to that in smaller European countries and the company is located in Quebec I think, so it's only a matter of time before it is adopted here. The wood provides some traction itself, lasts longer and eventually dissolves because it is a simple wood fibre.

I think salt and brine are destructive to not just cars, but the roads themselves. Not to mention grass and plant life that is near the areas where it is applied. I think the brine is more damaging than salt and I'm not sure it will be the ice melter of choice for long.

Originally Posted by Traction
Here is my winter setup with xi-ice's on a cop Tahoe.

Definitely liking the cop Tahoe.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Miller88
That will never happen in NY. At this point, I think the state enjoys destroying all of the vehicles.

You got that right. I grew up in Dewitt/Fayetteville area and left for a decade with the military. I was stationed in Louisiana and moved back to Watertown for a job opportunity with the federal government. Boy, was that a mistake. And I mean, I absolutely hated life. I thought winters in Syracuse were bad. Watertown is a different animal entirely. Absolutely depressing, and while I was born and raised in it, I quickly realized that I didn't miss it, whatsoever.

Only thing we complain about down here is fire ants. That, and well, temps in the 90's still in November.

It's funny too, because I see cars LOADED with rust and immediately think, that car came from NYS or Michigan.

I love the winter, actually. Just hate the rust.

My Cherokee is rusting away. I've had it 8 years and haven't driven it in a winter since 2011. Sprayed with oil every year.

It's even worse now. They have tow plows that just spray ridiculous amounts of salt brine on the interstate. That stuff corrodes everything - even plastic and rubber. And when they do salt the roads, there's so much that you'll lose traction with just the amount of salt alone. Last week I activated the ABS on my car getting off of 81 because there was so much salt on the road.

^^^I agree. I used to love driving in the winter on winter tires, but now they ruin all of my fun by relentlessly salting the roads, even when it's not needed. Sometimes it makes it much worse with blowing snow melting turning to ice. They collectively do more damage spending money spraying salt on all the vehicles, environment, and infrastructure. It all comes down to driving for the conditions, the right tires, learning to drive, and paying attention. That would be much cheaper in the long run. Never happen though, but if they would only salt when absolutely necessary that would be great. If you look at how much salt they use on many parking lots, you can tell most people can't even prepare to walk in the snow. Summer shoes in the winter is what the real problem is. My vehicles would last 3 times longer if they would just quit spraying so much salt, and I could have saved a ton of money.

Last edited:
Yup. Back when I was working at my step dad's father's garage, we had a customer that had a 1999 s10 blazer that had had the frame repaired at least 3 times. The most recent time, the frame rails from the transfer case back were completely reconstructed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back