Have you used Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2018 GMC Acadia, with only 5570 miles. The tires that came with it OEM were Michelin Premiere which I have always had good luck with Michelin's in the past. Problem is, that the tires that came with it seemed like there was less than normal tread. Maybe I'm wrong, but, I don't think I'll get anymore than 15,000 out of these tires. I know new car tires are notoriously low quality as far as mileage goes, so I'm not posting to pick on Michelin, like I say I've always had good luck with them. This time around however I have been flirting with the idea of trying Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready tires. I have heard a lot of good things about these tires. Problem is, I have had several sets of Goodyear's over the years and can't remember a set that was worth a can of beans. I have heard others with sort of similar stories, but seem to really like these tires. I have read many people's reviews where they say these are the best tires they have ever owned.

Just to give you an idea, of what I consider reasonable expectations. I have always thought if I get 40k good miles, by which I mean, when I take the tires off they are in reasonable shape, not total baldies. I'm scared to stay away from Michelin or Cooper which I have had such good luck with, or, do I try a tire that really intrigues me, but a little scared of the company. I have really tried to like Goodyear over the last 45 years, just haven't had results worth bragging about. By the way, I'm a stickler for keeping air pressure up to snuff, living in Florida helps with that, and rotations at every 5k along with getting the oil changed and the alignment checked.

Has anyone tried Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready tires, and if so what kind of luck have you had with them?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cbpat1
I have a 2018 GMC Acadia, with only 5570 miles. The tires that came with it OEM were Michelin Premiere which I have always had good luck with Michelin's in the past. Problem is, that the tires that came with it seemed like there was less than normal tread. Maybe I'm wrong, but, I don't think I'll get anymore than 15,000 out of these tires. I know new car tires are notoriously low quality as far as mileage goes, so I'm not posting to pick on Michelin, like I say I've always had good luck with them. This time around however I have been flirting with the idea of trying Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready tires. I have heard a lot of good things about these tires. Problem is, I have had several sets of Goodyear's over the years and can't remember a set that was worth a can of beans. I have heard others with sort of similar stories, but seem to really like these tires. I have read many people's reviews where they say these are the best tires they have ever owned.

Just to give you an idea, of what I consider reasonable expectations. I have always thought if I get 40k good miles, by which I mean, when I take the tires off they are in reasonable shape, not total baldies. I'm scared to stay away from Michelin or Cooper which I have had such good luck with, or, do I try a tire that really intrigues me, but a little scared of the company. I have really tried to like Goodyear over the last 45 years, just haven't had results worth bragging about. By the way, I'm a stickler for keeping air pressure up to snuff, living in Florida helps with that, and rotations at every 5k along with getting the oil changed and the alignment checked.

Has anyone tried Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready tires, and if so what kind of luck have you had with them?

These Michelin tires have only 8/32 tread depth when brand new.

I would not ask questions about Goodyear tires on this site ... all the howler monkeys will get loud - and it will not be related to the model you ask about ...

I put these tires on my daughter's Buick Regal. Her car originally had Michelins, and they lasted all of 32k miles. I buy Goodyears exclusively for 2 reasons. Goodyear is the last American tire company and secondly I have always gotten excellent performance out of them. She has approximately 20k on these Weather Readys and they still look new. Very quite and wet traction is better than the Michelin's that came on the car. No snow or ice with these yet, but I'm expecting them to be as good as any other tire would be in those conditions. So, in a nut shell, I'd buy these again in a heartbeat. Nothing but the highest praise for these tires.

Originally Posted by Big_3_Only
I put these tires on my daughter's Buick Regal. Her car originally had Michelins, and they lasted all of 32k miles. I buy Goodyears exclusively for 2 reasons. Goodyear is the last American tire company and secondly I have always gotten excellent performance out of them. She has approximately 20k on these Weather Readys and they still look new. Very quite and wet traction is better than the Michelin's that came on the car. No snow or ice with these yet, but I'm expecting them to be as good as any other tire would be in those conditions. So, in a nut shell, I'd buy these again in a heartbeat. Nothing but the highest praise for these tires.

Isn't cooper tires also still American owned after the proposed sale with Apollo fell through?

Isn't cooper tires also still American owned after the proposed sale with Apollo fell through? [/quote]

It's my understanding that Cooper was purchased by a middle eastern company just a few years ago. I was bummed about it!

Originally Posted by volk06
Originally Posted by Big_3_Only

Isn't cooper tires also still American owned after the proposed sale with Apollo fell through?

Tire branding can be very confusing.

For example, buying a Goodyear tire does not mean that the tire is made in the United States. Also, it does not even mean that you bought a tire made by Goodyear. Some Goodyear tires sold in Japan are made by Sumitomo.

Dunlop is even more confusing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tire_companies

Originally Posted by volk06

I think you are correct. I was thinking Cooper did sell to that middle eastern company (Apollo). I was really bummed about it, but very happy to see that they are still an American company.

Originally Posted by knerml

Tire branding can be very confusing.

For example, buying a Goodyear tire does not mean that the tire is made in the United States. Also, it does not even mean that you bought a tire made by Goodyear. Some Goodyear tires sold in Japan are made by Sumitomo.

Dunlop is even more confusing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tire_companies

yeah, I am specifically referring to Goodyear being an American owned company, making it an "American" company. Looks like Cooper didn't in fact sell to Apollo and they are still an American company too (good news!!!) Goodyear owns Dunlop, which was a European company and is sold over there much more than here. Goodyear came out with the Endurance trailer tire, which is a MUCH better tire than the marathon. Making the marathon in China, hurt Goodyear, but it appears they learned a lesson from that. Goodyear makes the vast majority of their tires in the USA.

I have about 30K on mt goodyear Assurance weather ready. Project 60K life minimum. No sidewall cracks. 3 years now NO issues at all. Michelin after 2 years started to crack a bit, after 4 years looked ready to blow. 50K lots of tread left , it did not matter, the cracks in the sidewalls had cracks.

Last edited:
I have bought several Goodyears over the years, and if they are rated well, I have liked them. Every company makes cheap junk and better stuff, they are no different. The Weatherready tires looked to be pretty good, I have not tried them and probably will not. As with many of the current Goodyear tires, they are made out of the USA. At least in my size (215/55R17) they are made in Chile. I was more interested in the Goodyear Eagle Sport All Seasons as other than winter traction they look really nice also and I have winter tires so I don't care so much about winter performance. They are made in Turkey, so I don't really want to buy those. I like to buy made in USA products from USA companies, but that is not always feasible. I have bought Blizzaks many times (Japanese company and made in Japan mostly) and I've also bought a few Michelins, most made in the USA although I was disappointed to see my Michelin Xice tires were made in Taiwain.

If you don't mind where they are made, the Weatherready tires look to be pretty good. They tested very well in Consumer Reports and have good reviews elsewhere. Since you're in FL, you probably don't care about the winter performance much, but they look to be very good in winter and good all around.

I put them on my son's Escape. I bought them because between home and his college is Snoqualmie pass, and already this year, they have had multiple instances of 'Traction Tires Recommended' or 'Traction Tires Required', so given the 3PMS on the Weather Ready, he is covered should he be driving over the pass in snow.

We haven't had them in snow yet, but in dry and wet conditions, they are excellent. But they are pretty expensive.

Given that you are in Florida and you don't need the snow traction, you may want to look at the Continental TrueContact Tour. I just put these on my SantaFe. They are great in heavy rain, and they were about $50 per tire cheaper than the GY WR.

We just replaced 2 sets of Michelin Premier A/S tires - one H rated and one V rated. They start with 8.5/32 and were worn to 4/32 and 4.5/32 with 50K and 40K miles respectively. They are an excellent high end touring tire, handle very well in dry and wet conditions, and brake well in both dry and wet. The H rated tire was better in the snow, we were easily able to drive through 12" of powder with a Subaru when they were new. I would not be too concerned about life but they are not the best choice if you live in a snowy area because of the lower amount of tread when new. Both sets were US made.

If you have Premier LTX tires they are only projected to last 40K miles (to 3/32) so I'd look at replacing them after a year or two.

FYI we replaced them with General RT43 for the H and Continental Purecontact LS for the V. Both handle as well as the Michelins, are better rated in snow and ice, and start with 10/32. Consumer reports rated these two models slightly better than the Goodyear WeatherReady , but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I would not ask questions about Goodyear tires on this site ... all the howler monkeys will get loud - and it will not be related to the model you ask about ...

You forgot a key part.... they will recommend a Michelin tire instead, in this case, the CrossClimate

The WeatherReady is brand new, debuting in 2018. It has gotten very good reviews so far, from places like Tire Rack and Consumer Reports. There don't seem to be any big drawbacks yet. Who knows if there will be any as they wear over the long run. The last generation of Continentals were mind blowing out of the gate, but none even got close to their mileage targets and most got very noisy as the wore.

IIRC, Tire Rack had some minor complaints about noise versus the Michelin CrossClimate, the Vredestein Quatrac 5, and the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus (which was astoundingly good in snow, despite being the only non-mountain snowflake tire).

As others have mentioned, the Michelin Premier lineup comes with very little tread new. The replacement Premier LTX is a 70k tire, so I wouldn't knee-jerk and buy new tires for awhile. Who knows if the OE factory versions will wear the same. And pay VERY CLOSE attention to anyone who recommends new tires due to tread depth, as if wearing correctly at 35k they should be showing 4.5/32" which is normal replacement time in areas with snow.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by 4WD

You forgot a key part.... they will recommend a Michelin tire instead, in this case, the CrossClimate

Or the General RT43 ad nauseum

Originally Posted by NO2
They are an excellent high end touring tire, handle very well in dry and wet conditions, and brake well in both dry and wet. The H rated tire was better in the snow, we were easily able to drive through 12" of powder with a Subaru when they were new. I would not be too concerned about life but they are not the best choice if you live in a snowy area because of the lower amount of tread when new. Both sets were US made.

And that's why I don't recommend the Premier series on anything that will see the snow - Michelin themselves admitted the goal fitment and development target is the Lexus RX for the Premier LTX, a car that's more of a mall cruiser or soccer shuttle.

Besides from that, they are a good tire for the intended target fitments.

I'm impressed with the Weather Ready reviews at tirerack.
The regular Assurance all seasons have average to negative reviews there, but the Weather Ready have some of the best. If I have the extra money when I need new tires, I'll be tempted to get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back