Castrol Edge 0W40 vs. 5W40...Liqui Moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Are these the same oils just different viscosity blends? What are the thoughts on Liqui Moly?

Liqui Moly - semi synthetic oils with a ton of additives. And a lot of snake oil products like injector cleaner liquids, ceramic coat additives and such. Mobil or even Castrol are much better value.

Liqui Moly isn't worth the price IMO. Castrol 0w40 is an excellent oil and IMO is the better of the two.

Stupid thing up here, one can get LM at regular price better than Castrol 0w-40. Of course, Castrol goes on a big sale all the time, and the cut is much more than what LM goes down to.

Is it because here in the states the Castrol or Mobil 1 0W40 is so cheap (Walmart) vs. LM for oil that is high/higher quality? A LM change kit with VW filter, plug, etc. on the online tuner sites (DAP, ECS) is about $60. Clearly a factory filter, drain plug, and Castrol 0W40 is going to be quite a bit cheaper ($45?). I don't think $60 is much for a twice a year change, the dealer chargers about double.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ChristianReske
Funny.

In the German Oil forum, nobody uses Castrol. Liqui Moly is rated as average, good qualitiy oil.

https://oil-club.de/index.php?thread/1246-liqui-moly-leichtlauf-high-tech-5w-40/

https://oil-club.de/index.php?thread/1135-liqui-moly-synthoil-high-tech-5w-40/

https://oil-club.de/index.php?thread/753-liqui-moly-synthoil-energy-0w-40/

Probably because Liqui Moly is made in Germany and a German company. Castrol is British owned and without getting into politics and the Brexit... well yeah. As an American, I don't know I guess.

For me at least, all I have is NAPA and mail order. It takes some effort to find and it's expensive.

Originally Posted by TiGeo
Are these the same oils just different viscosity blends? What are the thoughts on Liqui Moly?

Skip the LM and go with EDGE 0W40 or 5w40 EDGE

@ dlundblad: No, we dont care about where the oil is manufactured. Absolutely no politics.
We germans should also adopt the habit of support and buy own products a little bit more, at the moment we are far away from this.

@ all: To me, Liqui Moly makes good oils. This oils are widely used here in Germany, it is germanys best selling, most used oil brand. Nothing to Complain.

BUT, is it worth the high import prices you have to pay for it in the USA? i am doubtfull!

Originally Posted by ChristianReske
@ dlundblad: No, we dont care about where the oil is manufactured. Absolutely no politics.
We germans should also adopt the habit of support and buy own products a little bit more, at the moment we are far away from this.

@ all: To me, Liqui Moly makes good oils. This oils are widely used here in Germany, it is germanys best selling, most used oil brand. Nothing to Complain.

BUT, is it worth the high import prices you have to pay for it in the USA? i am doubtfull!

Thanks, I'll probably give LM a try in my Golf wagon b/c again, it seems like a good high-quality oil and I can get the whole kit for $60 delivered.

Nothing special about LM. They are OK products, but if you want something German, I would go with Pentosin.
But, Castrol 0W40 is hard to beat.

What specifically about the Castrol 0W40 from the Wally World is so good? It seems like the general consensus here in the BITOG is that it is the blood of Jesus (joking of course!). Just curious as to what parameters make it such a high quality/value oil?

What specifically about the Castrol 0W40 from the Wally World is so good? It seems like the general consensus here in the BITOG is that it is the blood of Jesus (joking of course!). Just curious as to what parameters make it such a high quality/value oil?

It carries LL01/A40/M229.5/502, a big slug of PAO, and is available inexpensively at Walmart.

The blood of Jesus used to be M1 0W-40, but with the name change to M1 FS 0W-40 and GTL base stock it no longer carries LL01 - so some believe it is of inferior quality.

Shows good UOA, as roofless said, good amount of PAO, carries all most important approvals, has very good NOACK for 0W40, good pour point, etc.
It is better oil than a lot of boutique oils. Just because oil is ONLY available on some web site does not mean it is better than oils in Wal Mart.
If you want better than that, go with Castrol 0W30, but that is available only online.

I get the draw to Liqui-Moly, Motul, Total, and all the other Euro-boutiques because they are not common, expensive, and hard to find so folks equate that to "it must be better". I haven't seen anything to indicate the LM oil offered in the "kits" is any better (or even equal to) the Castrol 0W-40 at WM. Quite the contrary actually, as the Castrol is a fantastic OTS oil for any DI turbo engine. Why in the world do you want to ay $60 for the LM when you can get Castrol for ~$25/5qts. and a 6-pack of Mann filters on Amazon for cheap? Sorry, won't pay extra for the mystique.

Originally Posted by shortyb
I get the draw to Liqui-Moly, Motul, Total, and all the other Euro-boutiques because they are not common, expensive, and hard to find so folks equate that to "it must be better". I haven't seen anything to indicate the LM oil offered in the "kits" is any better (or even equal to) the Castrol 0W-40 at WM. Quite the contrary actually, as the Castrol is a fantastic OTS oil for any DI turbo engine. Why in the world do you want to ay $60 for the LM when you can get Castrol for ~$25/5qts. and a 6-pack of Mann filters on Amazon for cheap? Sorry, won't pay extra for the mystique.

Well said. At the end of the day, it's the manufacturer approvals that matter. No reason to pay more for the same quality.

Ended up going with LM and have used in for the first change and now ready to do my second at 15K this week. Kits are ~$60 with everything I need from shopdap.com. Once I start doing my Atlas DIY I'll probably use LM in that too; so many nickel/dime recalls/campaigns just more convenient to have it changed at the dealer right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back