Gear whine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is an 07 Ford Crown Vic with 47,000 miles. Car had 327 rear gear with locker and was very quiet, wanted a little more on bottom so had a local shop install 373 gears. Car had bad whine on slight acceleration at most any speed. No noise off throttle, hard throttle, or coast. Went back to shop and have had 3 different sets of 373 gears installed, all whine. Shop owner tells me all were installed properly and at correct specs. I am at a loss as what to do next; take it to another shop, try some super heavy lube, or just live with it? I have to believe that a gear set can be installed without whine. The old saying "only a fool continues to do the same thing over and over, expecting different results" may apply to me in this case. Opinions will be much appreciated.

Did you have them replace all the bearings in the carrier? Is this an experienced shop that does this kind of work all the time? I had new gears installed in the last Mustang I owned and went to a 4x4 shop. I knew that they setup gear installs on a daily basis and had the knowledge to do so.

Tighten up the backlash/clearance between pinion and ring gear AND use thicker oil like 8xW140.
The 373's were 'conditioned' by thin gear oil, prior.

It's not at all uncommon for aftermarket gear sets to make noise, the question is can you live with it? If no, seek out another shop or an OEM gear set.

The most important question is... What brand of gears did you install? They are not all created equal and some are inherently more noisy than others.

Setting up gears is an art. A lot of people can do it, but not many can do it so they are quiet and last forever.

Weight doesn't always help with whine.

Last edited:
My bone stock 13 GT500 always had a little bit of rear gear "whine" and it specs 85-140 gear lube. At 8K I switched out the lube to Royal Purple 80-90 max gear and it was significantly more quiet.

Switched out the tranny fluid to RP synchromax and it was way better as well.

I know RP has it likes and dislikes here but this is real world actual experience here.

If you used ford motorsports gears it should be silent. And 373 isn't a steep set like 513s. Even cheap India gear sets should be silent if done correctly. And 8.8 diffs are easy to setup.

Have you looked at the gear mesh patttern? That will tell you all you need to know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Ask them about pre load on the pinion .

Best answer. The shop did not do this correctly. Heavier oil won't help and is not the answer.

After talking to a guy that went through this same issue, I have taken the car to the shop that he recommended. The tech there drove my car and said it would not have left his shop, with that whine. This tech has assured me that he can install a new gear set, and it will be quiet. I should get the car back in a few days and will report the outcome. I am keeping my fingers crossed, as this will be the 4th gear set. I am fast approaching the worth of the car in gear repair.

Picked my car up today and whine is gone. Tech told me gear set was installed improperly and was also leaking at the pinon seal. I am glad this is over as I like the old car, but I was about ready to cut and run. Took the old ring and pinon back to the original shop and got most of my money back. Thanks for all the reply's , They were much appreciated. Now if summer would hurry up, me and the grand boys are going to try for 14 second ET's with the old car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back