Shotgun Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a long time since I bought ammo, but my BIL is on my Xmas list. His request is 12 gauge 1 1/8 oz minimum #4 steel shot. What should I get and what will I expect to pay in Calif? New law goes into effect later next year.

Your going to need to know what length shells to buy also. If he is duck hunting the 2-3/4" or 3" shells will be fine and most modern shotguns handle both, but if he is using an older gun it might take 2-3/4" shells only. Since he is asking for #4's i assume he is duck hunting, I have fired 10s of thousands of shotgun shells over the years at quail, dove, ducks, geese, and sandhill cranes, in my opinion (and the others I hunt with) Federal Black cloud is our favorite followed closely by Winchester Blind Side. We also prefer loads over 1-1/4 ounce.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
As far as brands. They all go boom. Kinda like motor oil. It all works in most applications.

It's more than just going boom. If they are shoddily made, the head may crack and the gas particles can start eroding the firing pin. If the plastic hull was not sealed properly, it would go boom and the entire hull will go down the barrel.

Then people want shot dispersion and range, where they want the best mix to their needs.

If the stamping machines have tooling that is off, and the under head radius is off to a certain degree, the extractor pins may not grip the head properly causing a failure to extract and or eject.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by Chris142
As far as brands. They all go boom. Kinda like motor oil. It all works in most applications.

It's more than just going boom. If they are shoddily made, the head may crack and the gas particles can start eroding the firing pin. If the plastic hull was not sealed properly, it would go boom and the entire hull will go down the barrel.

Then people want shot dispersion and range, where they want the best mix to their needs.

If the stamping machines have tooling that is off, and the under head radius is off to a certain degree, the extractor pins may not grip the head properly causing a failure to extract and or eject.

Such a good example of BITOG worrywart-ism!
smile.gif

Depending on what breed of ducks he targets, I'd opt for a #3 load of steel over #4. Federal Red Box, Kent Faststeel, there are a few good brands out there. Remington Nitro shells used to be a good load, but i'm not sure they have been made for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back