2012 3.5 EcoBoost F150 5k 5w30 Magnatec and 295k 2007 5.4L F150 5.4k w/ M1 HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've attached two fresh UOAs. Both interesting. First one is my brothers 2012 F150 Platinum with a Livernois Tuned 3.5L Ecoboost. The truck started showing fuel dillution problems and on my suggestion my brother installed the updated PCV Valve that Ford is using when customers are seeing their dipstick level rise from excess fuel. (good work Ford) The updated PCV is brown instead of black. And if you don't know exactly what to ask for, the dealership will sell you another faulty black one.

Seems that this solved his dilution problem partially. The other culprit is likely the cam driven fuel pump that supposedly doesn't have the strongest looking seal inside it. This little part is around $400. Fuel dilution shouldn't be related to the modifications/tune. That was done early on, and the UOA's were fine for a quite a while. Oil is Magnatec 5w30 run for 5k. His old UOA's were usually longer highway drives from working night shift with no traffic. Now the truck is doing a more normal, higher traffic, rural and stop and go drive.

As a bonus my brother collected a sample from a friends 2007 F150 Lariat with the 5.4 L. This engine is approaching 300,000 miles and has never had a valve cover off it. It was bought new by our friend, tows a boat regularly, and has had 4-5k Mobil 1 5w30 changes since new. He did switch to Mobil 1 5w30 High Mileage recently. No timing chain noises, but my brother says that the engine "sounds tired" I haven't heard it running in a few years so I can't comment.

ecoboostUOA.PNG

07f150Marks.PNG

Ecoboost engine is still (pretty severely) diluted. The old port injected 5.4 looks good at this sample. If that 3.5 was mine I'd still be searching for the cause of the dilution, I'd probably also be running a 15w40 until I found the cause, the used oil viscosity shows SIGNIFICANTLY high fuel. I'd bet this would be way over 5% by GC.

The pump fix may be expensive, but so is an engine.

Hey, those reports look just like my 2011 EB.

That oil may have 2% fuel in it, but it's very contaminated with whats left behind when the majority of the fuel evaporates.

I change my EB oil at 5000 and truly, that's 1000 miles too long.

Originally Posted by madeej11
Is the Magnatec a blend or fs?

Blend but it used to hold up for 9k. Most of the UOAs are magnatec 5w30 or 10w30

Ok, you originally didn't specify and I've heard that the blend does a lot better in those engines. Strange it was holding up for 9 k and now your UOA is only 5k. What was the iron and fuel levels at on the 9k UOA's? Seems like iron may be slightly high. Sorry I didn't see his driving habits had changed so maybe disregard some of these comments. That's what happens when I don't read the post thoroughly. Sorry.

Last edited:
Perhaps the tune wore out one or more of the injectors and as a result there's a leak or the tune was injecting too much fuel??

Last edited:
Anything is possible, but these direct injectors are not near their max duty cycle and are not working harder 99% of the time. The tune increased fuel economy, so perhaps they're working less at times.

I thought the PCV update from Ford was to correct a failing PCV but it seems now that it was to even more aggressively evacuate fuel dillution that is showing up on these engines. To mask the problem. Ford installs this PCV when customers see the oil level rising on their dipsticks. Some phone calls were made today and a friend is going to speak to an Ford dealer mechanic he trusts and get his opinion.

My suggestion is to replace this factory Bosch cam driven high pressure pump. I think that is the most likely cause, but we'll see.

Is there a tell tale sign that the Fuel pump is leaking? Can I pull the pump off, & visually see a leaking, or bad seal?
I have a 2018 F150 3.5 ecoBoost, that has been averaging 3.4-4% fuel dilution at 2800 mile OCI.

Dealer doesn't think it is an issue, & refuses to look at it until it throws a check engine light.

I don't see my oil level rising, but I also know that I am pulling some oil into the intercooler, so maybe it is just maintaining the level with fuel, as it sucks oil into intercooler.

Originally Posted by cdlamb
Is there a tell tale sign that the Fuel pump is leaking? Can I pull the pump off, & visually see a leaking, or bad seal?
I have a 2018 F150 3.5 ecoBoost, that has been averaging 3.4-4% fuel dilution at 2800 mile OCI.

Dealer doesn't think it is an issue, & refuses to look at it until it throws a check engine light.

I don't see my oil level rising, but I also know that I am pulling some oil into the intercooler, so maybe it is just maintaining the level with fuel, as it sucks oil into intercooler.

The "tell tale sign" would be that of fuel dilution in analysis. Unfortunately, your dealer seems to be either ignorant or arrogant (neither is a good quality in a service department).

I've not seen one apart in person, but there's plenty of YT vids of these pumps in various applications now.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
What's GC

Yes, gas chromatography (GC) is the way to actually measure fuel dilution. Blackstone doesn't do that. If you want a real fuel dilution value that is measured, use a lab that uses GC. That EB still has very high fuel dilution, as indicated by the viscosity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by topbliss
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Originally Posted by madeej11
Is the Magnatec a blend or fs?

Blend but it used to hold up for 9k. Most of the UOAs are magnatec 5w30 or 10w30

Incorrect, its a full synthetic.

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil.html

You are reading about the newest formula. It came to market as a blend and stayed that way for many years. I still have three 5 quart jugs sitting here, it says Synthetic Blend. I am 99% sure my brother is still burning through a large stash he bought when I warned him about it being reformulated.

Originally Posted by cdlamb

Wow, that's bad. I don't know, for whatever reason there doesn't seem to be much collective brainpower figuring these problems out on the F150 forums. Except for this guy
https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/31-f150-ecoboost-problems/8270-fuel-smell-oil-12.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back