Are there any new sedans capable of 300k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jmoney7269
Toyota Camry 4 cylinder will do 400k!
So will the v-6
My mom still has her 1994 Toyota Camry with 380k miles.... its just needs a fuel pump and some seafoam ran through it and it would still run and burns less than a quart of oil in 10k mules

My 2004 Rav4 4cyl is wearing out with only 370,000 miles. Burns a lot of oil and gas mileage has gone down.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by GMBoy
I don't see why the hate for the FCA models....the 3.6 Pentastar is a wonderful motor as is the Hemi. I have a Pentastar 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 with 96k trouble free miles and a Hemi Ram with 42k trouble free miles. They are not bad vehicles.

Right, and we both agree that your anecdote is not data.

Toyota/Lexus regularly ends up at the top of the heap in data driven long term reliability indexes.
FCA regularly ends up at the bottom of the pile in the same.

It is not FCA hate that you are experiencing, it is the poor reliability of the product they produce shining through.

Please note how few people here commented about getting an FCA product.
Also note how many mentioned the Camry.

Figure it out yourself from there...

It's called herd mentality. For the favorite brand any and all negatives are downplayed and quickly forgotten, on the other hand, the opposite can be observed for the disliked brands. Even small problems are regurgitated at every opportunity and things from 70s are still remembered and repeated even if it was third or fourth hand experience.

I also notice that few Honda and Toyota fans are extremely vocal both at praising their favorites and criticizing everything else. They often pollute threads not even related to the discussions. This thread is a perfect example of that. OP never even mentioned FCA, yet you were the first one to take the opportunity to criticize it.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by Jmoney7269
Toyota Camry 4 cylinder will do 400k!
So will the v-6
My mom still has her 1994 Toyota Camry with 380k miles.... its just needs a fuel pump and some seafoam ran through it and it would still run and burns less than a quart of oil in 10k mules

My 2004 Rav4 4cyl is wearing out with only 370,000 miles. Burns a lot of oil and gas mileage has gone down.

I have little doubt that a Toyota Camry will last 400k miles with careful maintenance and little or no abuse, in Texas.
With "only" 370k miles on your RAV, in NJ, I think that you have done quite well!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
This isn't criticism but observation. If driving 12 K per year it takes 25 years to go 300k. How old are you? Unless for work commuting I don't understand why many people want to spend a lot of time going to other places in their little machines on wheels. Sitting in the rolling machine in a seat on a road all that time. In my case if I bought a car at 16 and died at 96 it would have about 320K on it. It's interesting that some people seem to sort of brag about how many miles they drive, as if it's better. Not pertaining to OP at all, just observation. Another way to keep a car newer is to drive it less.

Sure, I'll drive my car less... as soon as my employer moves their corporate headquarters building closer to my home.

What you fail to take into consideration is that MANY of us drive quite a bit just to reach our workplace. I drive 55 miles per day, EACH WAY, to work. That works out to 110 miles round-trip, and even with 1 day per week working from home, I still put over 440 miles per week on the care just for work.. Add in running other errands, and I regularly put between 500 and 550 miles per week on the car, averaging about 28,000 miles/year. This isn't a "brag" as you put it.. it's simply a fact.

"Not a criticism", my [censored].

Originally Posted by KrisZ
It's called herd mentality. For the favorite brand any and all negatives are downplayed and quickly forgotten, on the other hand, the opposite can be observed for the disliked brands. Even small problems are regurgitated at every opportunity and things from 70s are still remembered and repeated even if it was third or fourth hand experience.

I also notice that few Honda and Toyota fans are extremely vocal both at praising their favorites and criticizing everything else. They often pollute threads not even related to the discussions. This thread is a perfect example of that. OP never even mentioned FCA, yet you were the first one to take the opportunity to criticize it.

Please....
FCA routinely ends up at the bottom of long term reliability assessments. It's just true.

Every OEM has their sore spots (I'm thinking of you, Honda transmissions).

I'll take my chances with a Honda or Toyota product to make it to 300k any time versus an FCA product. And it seems most other responders here would do likewise.

I don't see tons of responses about those bulletproof Chrysler 200s or PT Cruisers....

And we didn't even get to resale value as a metaphor for relative dependability....

Different strokes, and all like that, but by @150k miles I start looking for something newer and faster. That said, if you can enjoy driving the same car for 300k miles you have my utmost respect.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I'd say almost any new car properly serviced and cared for will go 300,000 miles, how well it does it is another subject.

I do not get the Toyota love around here.

+1. Maintenance and a bit of luck.

I hear about Toyotas being so perfect. I just googled what a 1999 Carmy, Corolla and RAV4 look like. They're essentially gone here in Minnesota - extremely rare to see any of those body styles. They rust-out, break-down or are crashed - just like every other car.

I also don't really see the desire in driving a 20 year old Corolla. Brand new ones are bad enough. Couldn't fathom how dreadful one with 300,000 miles must drive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by E365
I'd say almost any new car properly serviced and cared for will go 300,000 miles, how well it does it is another subject.

+1. Maintenance and a bit of luck.

I hear about Toyotas being so perfect. I just googled what a 1999 Carmy, Corolla and RAV4 look like. They're essentially gone here in Minnesota - extremely rare to see any of those body styles. They rust-out, break-down or are crashed - just like every other car.

I also don't really see the desire in driving a 20 year old Corolla. Brand new ones are bad enough. Couldn't fathom how dreadful one with 300,000 miles must drive.

Yup, you need a bit of luck. I had planned on keeping the GMC for 200,000 + but I hit a very large bodied buck at freeway speeds and since then it has NOT been the same. Tons of computer issues. Then red cancer showed up. Wish the insurance company had totaled it. Would of been ahead had they done that. Truck will die before it hits 200000 now. It currently sits at 138000. Ran out of luck with this one.

Stay away from Mitsubishi's. Buyers are fitted with bags to cover their heads when driving out with their spanking new Mirage's. People driving Fiats go by the dealerships and taunt the employees for selling utter worthlessness. They even advertise to bring in your shopping cart as a trade.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Stay away from Mitsubishi's. Buyers are fitted with bags to cover their heads when driving out with their spanking new Mirage's. People driving Fiats go by the dealerships and taunt the employees for selling utter worthlessness. They even advertise to bring in your shopping cart as a trade.

That was worth a laugh!

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by KrisZ

Please....
FCA routinely ends up at the bottom of long term reliability assessments. It's just true.

Every OEM has their sore spots (I'm thinking of you, Honda transmissions).

I'll take my chances with a Honda or Toyota product to make it to 300k any time versus an FCA product. And it seems most other responders here would do likewise.

I don't see tons of responses about those bulletproof Chrysler 200s or PT Cruisers....

And we didn't even get to resale value as a metaphor for relative dependability....

Meanwhile, I'll keep my Mopars. Parents have a used and abused 2004 Grand Caravan with 180k on it. Original engine, original transmission, even the original fuel pump! Never once left anybody stranded. They also have a 2007 Caliber SXT with that "awful" CVT. 155k on the clock, all original except the front crossmember (rust, was recalled), they've never even changed the transmission fluid.

I have a 2012 Caliber SXT that mechanically the same as my parents, 94k on it, running like a top.

I will admit, they don't really make good small cars. That's the reason I picked the Caliber over the Dart. The rest though, seems to just be a matter of taking care of it and it'll last.

As for resale value... well that just helps me when I buy a gently used one for 50% off MSRP.

Check your resale values. Toyota are very high, this tells a lot. My daughter wanted a RAV4, but we could not find one in her price rage. Ended up with a Ford escape. Mediocre vehicle at best, sold it after a year and a half after many repairs. Had a salesman in a few months back had 700,000KM on his Toyota. I asked if he ever had any engine work, he said no, put it was not as powerful anymore. He had just ordered a new one and dealer gave him $1,000 as a trade in.

Wasn't in your list of options, but so far I'm in love with my '16 Elantra 1.8L. Pretty much the most old school tech under the hood (and the inside) you can buy in 2016. And I've never been a Hyundai fan. Boy was I wrong.

My list was no CVT, no DI, no electric steering, no lane assist, no auto stop, no start-stop... you get it. Old school. No puppymonkeybaby b.s.

I only compromised on the electric steering.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'd stay clear of anything with a CVT transmission if I were you.
27.gif

BITOGism that isn't true...in all cases.

Other "isms"

Crown Vic is the best car ever made
Michelin are the greatest tires in the world
Nobody in their right mind would run 0w/20-
the list goes on.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tony1679
Wasn't in your list of options, but so far I'm in love with my '16 Elantra 1.8L. Pretty much the most old school tech under the hood (and the inside) you can buy in 2016. And I've never been a Hyundai fan. Boy was I wrong.

My list was no CVT, no DI, no electric steering, no lane assist, no auto stop, no start-stop... you get it. Old school. No puppymonkeybaby b.s.

I only compromised on the electric steering.

You want a carburetor with that.......

Originally Posted by dblshock
Rust is no issue on unibody Toyota's or Honda's, vulnerable areas are all plastic clad.

Time will tell how the one-inch sandwich between the plastic air thingies and the actual metal floorboards do with trapping moisture and salt. I don't have a warm fuzzy.

I have plenty of under-dams on my 05 prius and it's pretty scary looking when the studs give out and they fall off.

If I had a new one I'd pull those dams and hose it down with fluid film.

Originally Posted by Bluestream

Check your resale values. Toyota are very high, this tells a lot. My daughter wanted a RAV4, but we could not find one in her price rage. Ended up with a Ford escape. Mediocre vehicle at best, sold it after a year and a half after many repairs. Had a salesman in a few months back had 700,000KM on his Toyota. I asked if he ever had any engine work, he said no, put it was not as powerful anymore. He had just ordered a new one and dealer gave him $1,000 as a trade in.

Depends what you're looking at. Comparing a 2016 Toyota Avalon to a 2016 Chrysler 300, they're within $800 of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back