pcv cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys i have a problem. i have an 02 infiniti qx4 and im burning oil pretty bad. the pcv needs to be changed but is a pain to get to. dealer quoted 375 to change it. is there a way to clean it while on the car. someone suggested to me to put seafoam in the brake booster line but i doubt that will reach the pcv for a good cleaning. any thoughts?

I'd use something better than Seafoam like Gumout Multi-tune instead. Might not hurting to either spray or apply it through throttle and in oil. This product ran in the gas tank too in conjunction. You might be able to do a light piston soak with this as well. Two cans sounds about right IF its all tied to your pcv. Are you sure its not seals and valve guides? A product like liquimoly motor oil saver will help if thats the issue.
https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2020-Motor-Saver/dp/B00CPL8WY8

https://www.amazon.com/Gumout-51001...amp;keywords=gumout+multi-system+tune-up

IMO, $375 at the stealership to change the PCV which is hard to get is reasonable considering the alternative after the problem gets worst.

I know I am not answering your question.
In terms of cleaning, it depends on how the PCV is hooked up and where the cleaner needs to be intro into the system which include the PCV.
You can try it first but it depends on whether the part just needs cleaning or the valve is bad.

Originally Posted by macdole99
hey guys i have a problem. i have an 02 infiniti qx4 and im burning oil pretty bad. the pcv needs to be changed but is a pain to get to. dealer quoted 375 to change it. is there a way to clean it while on the car. someone suggested to me to put seafoam in the brake booster line but i doubt that will reach the pcv for a good cleaning. any thoughts?

If it's blocked where you are consuming lots of oil, spraying cleaner in vacuum lines or gas tank won't do it. Think about it, if it's plugged, how is the cleaner going to pass through the valve to clean it? Either DIY or have someone change it out and do it right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by macdole99

If it's blocked where you are consuming lots of oil, spraying cleaner in vacuum lines or gas tank won't do it. Think about it, if it's plugged, how is the cleaner going to pass through the valve to clean it? Either DIY or have someone change it out and do it right.

+1

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Look at UTube looks like a piece of cake. This is no $375 Stealership job.

OP implied that he/she does not want to do it from complaining about it is hard to get to.
So, the stealership is reasonable.

Personally, I would not go stealership just to change the PCV if I don't want to do it.
Any good mechanic can do it since it is just getting other parts out of the way to get to the PCV.
No mechanical/electronic calibration needed like dealing with the ECM, etc.

Do it yourself. If not don't go to the stealership. Find a good independent shop and have them do it.

This is from Repair Pal:

"The average cost for an Infiniti QX4 PCV valve replacement is between $54 and $68. Labor costs are estimated between $35 and $45 while parts are priced between $19 and $23. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.

Note about price: The cost of this service or repair can vary by location, your vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Related repairs may also be needed. Talk with a RepairPal Certified shop to learn which repairs might be right for you."

Last edited:
Removing the PCV valve destroys it on the Ford 4.6 (I think that's intentional)

However, removing the vacuum line on top is easy.

I pull the vacuum line and spray a little Berryman's B12 spray down into the PCV valve to "wash it out" every 50,000 miles - - it's still the original and still works perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back