What is Long chain alkyl thio carbamide metal complex

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this on the Idemitsu website for their Zepro 0w20 oil. Doing some quick research didn't tell me much. What is it's role?

The California cancer regulation states that there may be exposure to lead and cadmium.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
If it's bad for you in California, it's probably good stuff!

That is true. Everything is bad for you there. I see those stickers on everything.

For some reason they had to declare the Molybdenum dialkyldithiocarbamate (MoDTC), as one of the "Long chain alkyl thio carbamide metal complexes."

MoDTC is primarily a friction reducer with some secondary anti-oxidant and AW properties.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
For some reason they had to declare the Molybdenum dialkyldithiocarbamate (MoDTC), as one of the "Long chain alkyl thio carbamide metal complexes."

MoDTC is primarily a friction reducer with some secondary anti-oxidant and AW properties.

Thanks MolaKule. There was some mention of molybdenum polysulphide in some of the places I checked. I had wondered about that.

The prefix thio in chemistry means, "the oxygen atom in the compound has been replaced by a sulfur atom."

Here is the basic Dithio structure in the first image. Notice at least two (Di) sulfur atoms are linked, which could be a "poly-sulfide" type of structure when the same type of structure is "repeated."

Add a metallic linkage to it and you would have, say a Molybdenum Dithiocarbamate or MoDTC molecule as seen in the bottom image. The "carbamate" part represents the carbon atoms linked into the "MOlybdenum DiThioCarbamate" structure.

Basic Dithiocarbamate structure.png

Structure of MoDTC.png

Last edited:
"ide" tells us that this is a compound made up of only two elements. For example, "carbon dioxide." Notice that is made up of just two elements, carbon and oxygen or CO2.

"ate" usually means the compound is made of three elements or "groups" of three elements, such as for example Calcium Chlorate or Ca(ClO3)2.

That will be an additional charge of $1300.00 for the semester.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back